Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:15 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 378453 times)  Share 

nootulla

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1215 on: June 23, 2019, 12:28:03 pm »
JMSS exam:
Science Reasoning: It was fine, no problem with it (i mildly guessed a few questions)
Science Report: this one was challenging for me but I got through (i didn't even draw a diagram)
Numerical Reasoning: Really easy
Mathematics: Easy
Science writing: Easy, I really enjoyed writing it

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1216 on: June 23, 2019, 12:51:51 pm »
it depends on how many people are in your grade at school. also for the interviews, the 3% rule doesnt apply thats after, and speaking of the interviews apparently you will find out if ur selected by around late July early August

the cohort in my grade is small - like ~ 100?
so 3 is the maximum that can get in. and like 10 people are trying out!!

does this mean approximately six people get in to the interviews?? or is it less??(just hope it is not!!!)

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #1217 on: June 23, 2019, 02:10:22 pm »

Essay 1: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- It's a science prac, but for this year, you only need to write a discussion by answering the questions. Be sure to draw the diagram, although it doesn't tell you to do that. You also need to know dependent, independent and control variables as one of the questions will ask you to mention them (I got mixed up between dependent and independent).

oh no I forget to mention which one is the dependent variable (which should be the material) and independent variable(which should be the rate of heat transfer), and for sure I don't now well about the format of a science report , I'll fail the test.
This is where my idea of drawing the diagram comes from
Guys, for the interviews, I don't have ANY extra-curricular activities or achievements at all whatsoever. According to a lot of people from my school, I'm highly unlikely to get in because of this. Is there anything I can do?
I feel like about the same as well. no great achievement, probable to fail the interview. but, I'm going to join the AIMO competition on August, which is about a month before the interview. if I succeed, a fresh achievement will offer me a great chance. anyone joining?
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

bl283

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1218 on: June 23, 2019, 02:55:44 pm »
how did u guys study for the science reasoning?

mehr667

• Forum Regular
  • monash gang wya
« Reply #1219 on: June 23, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »
oh no I forget to mention which one is the dependent variable (which should be the material) and independent variable(which should be the rate of heat transfer), and for sure I don't now well about the format of a science report , I'll fail the test.
This is where my idea of drawing the diagram comes fromI feel like about the same as well. no great achievement, probable to fail the interview. but, I'm going to join the AIMO competition on August, which is about a month before the interview. if I succeed, a fresh achievement will offer me a great chance. anyone joining?

oh my god i just realised i forgot to do that too crap i just low-averaged both my essays  :-\

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1220 on: June 23, 2019, 03:39:57 pm »
I was in floor 2 as well. My last name starts with M

Hi im jeff

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1221 on: June 23, 2019, 03:46:39 pm »
Actually,
Multiple choice (mathematics, numerical, scientific reasoning): too easy, estimated 90%
Science report: draw a diagram, and finish all the requested stuff
Scientific essay: basically included all information, but in an awkward way to make sense. Forget to apply my own knowledge into it, only “decomposers”, “cellular respiration” and “environment adaption”, due to insufficient time. If it was not timed, I think I could put things like the composition of the algae, which is mostly glycogen and stuff.
Now, back to KSP...

Wow I didnt do any studying for the exam so I dont understand half of the things you wrote or shouldve written during the scientific essay.

I think I failed my essays tbh im just relying on math because it was pretty easy compared to the others.

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1222 on: June 23, 2019, 05:01:41 pm »
Wow I didnt do any studying for the exam so I dont understand half of the things you wrote or shouldve written during the scientific essay.

I think I failed my essays tbh im just relying on math because it was pretty easy compared to the others.
I might failed the essay as well. because compared to my scientific knowledge, I think my English is around year 4 level... trying to organize everything, but so awkward at last.

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1223 on: June 23, 2019, 06:20:03 pm »
I was in floor 2 as well. My last name starts with M

SAME!! What number, mine was about 2200! What did u wear?? PM me if u want to

nootulla

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1224 on: June 23, 2019, 09:05:46 pm »
Everyone is saying that maths was easy and lots think they have a high chance of getting the interviews because it was that easy. but I believe they will judge on your science reasoning and writing ability D:

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1225 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:58 am »
+1
Everyone is saying that maths was easy and lots think they have a high chance of getting the interviews because it was that easy. but I believe they will judge on your science reasoning and writing ability D:
Multiple choice was relatively easy, I readily finished on time. When I do scientific report, I just followed the suggestions of others, and at last I realized WTF am I doing. When I see the essay topic, I was pretty much dead as the fish. I would prefer a Mars mission or climate change instead :-\
Plus, since math is easy, and I’m good at solving hard problems, this time I think I will get no more than an “above average”. Beware, if you think it’s easy, everyone else will as well, and only less than half of people can get to the interview. So in order to get in, we need better marks on other subjects.

SynX

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1226 on: June 25, 2019, 12:59:17 pm »
Anyone still on? Let’s discuss about JMSS interview. 5 people in our school is applying, and that’s about 2% of our total year 9 population. The competitive stress is not high. I think I would make it to the interview, so anyone thinks we should be discussing that right now?

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1227 on: June 25, 2019, 04:32:18 pm »
Omg, the maths and numerical was easy but I completely fucked it up. I don’t know what happened to me, when I was doing the numerical, I couldn’t even do simple addition, I just kept messing up. Idk why I was so stressed. Everyone’s saying they did really well so I’m gonna get like a below average. Don’t even get me started on the essays. Why do I have to always mess up. I worked so hard since jan, I deleted all my social medias to focus on this shit. Smh, I’m so mad😩😩😩😩 I really wanted to get in and there’s a lot of people trying out, so I have no luck and they all said they finished everything. 😩😩😩
Dw mate, same scenario here  :-\ There is really nothing we can do...just have to wait. While it will feel bad, there is really nothing we can do now.. Honestly I am just counting the days left before the results 'may' come up (So yeah i am counting the days until the end of july or august)..

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1228 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:31 pm »
Anyone still on? Let’s discuss about JMSS interview. 5 people in our school is applying, and that’s about 2% of our total year 9 population. The competitive stress is not high. I think I would make it to the interview, so anyone thinks we should be discussing that right now?

You're so lucky. There's around 25+ people trying out from my school and only 7 can get in. The competition IS VERY HIGH.

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1229 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:44 am »
You're so lucky. There's around 25+ people trying out from my school and only 7 can get in. The competition IS VERY HIGH.
There are 15 people trying from my school and only 3 get in. The chances are probably lower than yours. Damn, the more I think about it the less chance that I will get into JMSS. Last year I thought my chances are 50-60%. Then, after realising how well everyone did the test, it turned out that my chances are about 30%. Now it seems like 15 %. I am so confused  ??? and honestly have no hopes whatsoever.