Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:30:32 pm

Author Topic: Can I still get a 40 in methods?  (Read 1523 times)  Share 

kayalsingh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Can I still get a 40 in methods?
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:28 pm »
I received my score for my first sac (which has a weighted average of 17%). What I know for sure is that my score of 84% puts me in at least the top 17 kids in my cohort (a slightly above average cohort, with a ridiculously good top end).
I am quiet devastated and honestly do not know if I can get a 40 raw in methods anymore. Is this the end for me  :-[

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Can I still get a 40 in methods?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
I received my score for my first sac (which has a weighted average of 17%). What I know for sure is that my score of 84% puts me in at least the top 17 kids in my cohort (a slightly above average cohort, with a ridiculously good top end).
I am quiet devastated and honestly do not know if I can get a 40 raw in methods anymore. Is this the end for me  :-[
I would stake my life on the fact that a 40+ raw in Methods is still possible from here. Study hard, keep trying to push that ranking up, then get a solid A+ on both your exams. You can do it!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

kayalsingh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:14 pm »
What makes you so confident???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:41:54 pm by kayalsingh »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:45:11 pm »
What makes you so confident???
Just, maths. And experience. Like, hypothetically, if you full-marked both exams and kept doing decently in your SACs, you'd get a 45+ easy... so, if it's possible for you to get a 45+, it's obviously possible for you to get a 40+ haha

kayalsingh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:41 pm »
Just, maths. And experience. Like, hypothetically, if you full-marked both exams and kept doing decently in your SACs, you'd get a 45+ easy... so, if it's possible for you to get a 45+, it's obviously possible for you to get a 40+ haha
what about rankings????

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:19 pm »
brenden is right kayalsingh, the exams are literally the most important components of a subject.

Ace them and you'll do well. 40+ is very much possible still.

P.S - 84% is still a fantastic mark, don't put yourself down.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:40 pm »
+2
what about rankings????
Well I mean, ok. To give you a better explanation of my logic.

Firstly, SACs are not even worth that much in Methods. They're worth, what, 33% or something like that? (Might be slightly different if my memory is whacked out).

So, even if you copped like a B+ for SACs, and full marked both exams - that's an easy 40+. There've been people on ATAR Notes who've got a 40+ in Further/Methods/Spesh with a B+ before, because they smashed the other graded assessments.

Now, that's with a B+. With YOUR SACs. You've said there's a super high top end, and that the school is pretty decent, AND SACs are STILL not over - there's room for you to finish ranked in the top 10, or even top 5, theoretically. So like, even if you finished rank 17, you could still get an A for SACs but your question was "is this the end", and, if you could still finish in the top 10 and still score very well in the exams then... it's just categorically not the end haha. No? It's just not the end until the exams are over. If you've only done 17% of the subject... seems natural to think that if you dominated the other 87% you could still great a really good score, no?