Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:40:02 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231883 times)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4230 on: October 18, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »
Hey guys,
For Yeats' poetry, are we allowed to quote words? I wanted to talk about Yeats' use of active vs passive verbs and contrast between Leda's perspective vs Zeus' perspective but I'm not sure if quoting verbs counts as legit textual evidence.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

emily_p

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4231 on: October 18, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
For Yeats' poetry, are we allowed to quote words? I wanted to talk about Yeats' use of active vs passive verbs and contrast between Leda's perspective vs Zeus' perspective but I'm not sure if quoting verbs counts as legit textual evidence.

I’m sure it’s fine, maybe scatter a few embedded throughout your analysis? I was always told the ideal quote is between 3 and 10 words, if you had a few active verbs to support your analysis that would be good.
HSC 2018 || English Adv | English Ext 1 | Maths | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR: 94.55

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4232 on: October 18, 2018, 06:09:49 pm »
Hey guys,
Not 100% HSC viewpoint, but in the AtarNotes lectures we were told to always include authorial intent in our pieces, so I assume that active vs passive verbs would count! :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4233 on: October 18, 2018, 06:29:50 pm »
helllooo

I'm pretty sure I stuffed up the essay today because I did not mention the word "extent" but for tomorrow if the question says "to what extent is blah blah revealed"

how do I answer that because I'm still so confused

thank you
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:58:01 pm by 3.14159265359 »

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4234 on: October 18, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
Hey everyone....
I'm trying the memorising essay technique for tomorrow but I'm finding still at this late stage I'm struggling to memorise it all....how can I do it with all the short time left??

Also.....what plan of attack do I take if my prepared essays totally don't fit with the question?!? I'm stressing out bigtime!!! :-[ :-[

Thanks

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #4235 on: October 18, 2018, 06:50:10 pm »
+2
I'm pretty sure I stuffed up the essay today because I did not mention the word "extent" but for tomorrow if the question says "towhead extent is blah blah revealed"

how do I answer that coz I'm still so confused

thank you
Hey there!

Fortunately, you did not have to explicitly mention the extent to which you supported the statement, so long as it's clear in your response! :)
These "to what extent" questions can be tricky to formulate a response for, but the answer should be integrated within your response/argument. That's the whole point with writing the essay!

So don't worry too much about whether you should or shouldn't add in those exact words. As long as you've made a judgement and stuck with it, then you would have answered the question. :)

Hey everyone....
I'm trying the memorising essay technique for tomorrow but I'm finding still at this late stage I'm struggling to memorise it all....how can I do it with all the short time left??

Also.....what plan of attack do I take if my prepared essays totally don't fit with the question?!? I'm stressing out bigtime!!! :-[ :-[

Thanks
Hey there!

First of all, good luck with the paper tomorrow - I'm sure you're gonna smash it and woo! No more English (unless you do 3u!!).

To answer your question, I'd say try picking out the key ideas in the quote and stick with that. You should aim for shorter quotes (without losing context, of course) so that you have more space for in depth analysis!! And shorter quotes are often easier to remember too! So when you have a long quote, try picking out the key words and use them as your trigger word! Then you only need to remember, say, 2 words and your brain immediately fills the rest in.

Some other strategies I've heard from people include:
- Reading quotes aloud.
- Highlighting them in different colours so you can group certain quotes together.
- Placing them around the room so you have a visualisation around the room.
- Repetitively writing them out until it sticks.

If your prepared essays don't fit the question, don't stress! Any question should be broad enough for you to adapt to (maybe except for module B!). Personally, I just picked out my main arguments and quotes going into the exam. You have 5 minutes of reading time in the exam, so use it to first make a judgement about the statement/question, and then use the quotes you've memorised to justify your claim. That way, you don't stress about forgetting your main argument!

Hopefully, this helps! Again, good luck with tomorrow's paper! :)

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4236 on: October 18, 2018, 07:01:48 pm »
Hey guys,
if i run out of time & end up w two paragraphs for one of my modules, does that affect the way the essay is marked?

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4237 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:12 pm »
Hey there!

Fortunately, you did not have to explicitly mention the extent to which you supported the statement, so long as it's clear in your response! :)
These "to what extent" questions can be tricky to formulate a response for, but the answer should be integrated within your response/argument. That's the whole point with writing the essay!

So don't worry too much about whether you should or shouldn't add in those exact words. As long as you've made a judgement and stuck with it, then you would have answered the question. :)

Hopefully, this helps! Again, good luck with tomorrow's paper! :)

hey so for todays question the essay was "discovery cannot be new, nor can it be joyful" to what extent blah blah

and my thesis was "a powerful experience can instigate a reflective change upon an individual due to the discovery of something new, leading to a joyful experience" and after every quote/technique/analysis in the analysis I would say "thus showing how the discovery of something new can be joyful" or something like that.

is that fine??

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4238 on: October 18, 2018, 07:10:26 pm »
Hey guys,
if i run out of time & end up w two paragraphs for one of my modules, does that affect the way the essay is marked?

to my knowledge no but, make sure you have a conclusion even if its one line to get marks for structure

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #4239 on: October 18, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »
+1
hey so for todays question the essay was "discovery cannot be new, nor can it be joyful" to what extent blah blah

and my thesis was "a powerful experience can instigate a reflective change upon an individual due to the discovery of something new, leading to a joyful experience" and after every quote/technique/analysis in the analysis I would say "thus showing how the discovery of something new can be joyful" or something like that.

is that fine??
Hey there!

That looks fine! You've clearly made a judgement on the question and have backed it up with substantial evidence. So I say you should be in the clear! :)

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4240 on: October 18, 2018, 07:58:38 pm »
Thanks so much opengangs!! That helps heaps!!
I noticed someone's comment about 2 paragraphs.....is this ok? In my prepared essays I have three paragraphs but won't have time for them all so I was thinking of just choosing the 2 that suit the best, but is this a silly idea? is it better to cut it down and make three shorter ones??

thanks!!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4241 on: October 18, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »
Hey there!

That looks fine! You've clearly made a judgement on the question and have backed it up with substantial evidence. So I say you should be in the clear! :)

HALLEJUAH!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUU SO MUCH NOW I CAN SLEEP IN PEACE. so I don't exactly need to say "I disagree/agree with the statement" I just need to incorporate it in my essay and the marker will know what I did. is that correct?

sstsuki

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4242 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:44 pm »
Hey guys! I was just wondering if they specify poems/sonnets, would they give us an extract to work with?
Thanks!!

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4243 on: October 18, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »
Hey guys, whats the odds on a gender question for hamlet, i have a feeling its gonnna come up and im not prepared, moreover can someone like send me the type of gender question they could ask like how it would be worded or something so i could maybe practice... THANKS

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4244 on: October 18, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »
Heyy what technique would you give this

“It was even conceivable that they watched everybody at all time”

Thank you