Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:53:28 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1238941 times)

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4215 on: October 17, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
+1
THANK GODDD
WHAT ABOUT IF THE QUESTION DOES NOT SAY TO USE THE STIMULUS. LIKE IT SAYS USE ONE OF THE STIMULUS AS YOUR MAIN IDEA BLAH BLAH CAN I STILL PUT THE QUOTE IN THE STORY?

I ASSUME SO. JUST MAKE SURE YOU INCORPORATE IT THROUGHOUT AS WELL (E.G. AS A METAPHOR). YOU HAVE TO INCORPORATE THE IDEA THROUGHOUT EVEN IF IT IS JUST A START QUOTE TOO.

hey guys,

any tips for trying to make your essay adapt to the question.
I struggle alot with this.

thanks so much!!

I'm not the greatest at this either, but I find it good to brain dump synonyms of the key words in the question on the page. Incorporate these words into your thesis and stick them into parts of your analysis and that should help you adapt to the question without changing your entire argument.
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #4216 on: October 17, 2018, 11:31:44 pm »
+1
hey guys,

any tips for trying to make your essay adapt to the question.
I struggle alot with this.

thanks so much!!

Definitely agree with Ellielh - try think of synonyms for the key words of the question! Then just consistently use them throughout your essay. So not just at the start and end of paras but in your arguments as well.

Example: If the question was: Discoveries are confronting but lead to valuable perspectives. Discuss.

Confronting - challenging, provoking... Valuable perspectives - new ways of thinking, renewed perceptions, transformative understanding....

Then use all those key words throughout your essay e.g. Said author demonstrates the provoking natures of discoveries through... but ultimately displays the transformative ideas these can bring when he/she states that...

Something like that :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4217 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:59 pm »
How many pages of the writing booklet (generally) would the last question for short answers be? Also, would it be better to choose two texts which have contrasting ideas about disocvery? Thanks!

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4218 on: October 18, 2018, 02:43:05 pm »
How do I mention context in mod B? Doing Hamlet. Also can they ask for 2 related texts for mod C?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:08:39 pm by horse9996 »
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4219 on: October 18, 2018, 03:33:41 pm »
How do I mention context in mod B? Doing Hamlet. Also can they ask for 2 related texts for mod C?
It's not necessary/part of the rubric. The module is about Critical Study of Text. So what you really are trying to do is appraise a text for its textual integrity. Module A is the context module. For Module C, they can technically ask for two related texts but it's umlikely that they will do it. Hope this helps!! Good luck tomorrow!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #4220 on: October 18, 2018, 03:38:25 pm »
Sorry to disagree with the above, and what I am saying could be wrong, but I always add a little bit of context for Mod B. It is the critical study of a text, so to include context demonstrates you aren't just reading the book/play, you are understanding the society/politics around the time it was written and how that influences the writer. I usually include it quite soon after my topic sentence, or tie it in with my analysis if it links. It doesn't have to be a heap of context, I think it just shows you have read further than the book.
I didn't do Hamlet, so I'm not sure where to help in that regards, but hopefully my above answer has helped you get started :)

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4221 on: October 18, 2018, 03:44:04 pm »
Hey guys,

What are the chances mod a - wit & donne - would specify a poem?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4222 on: October 18, 2018, 03:51:41 pm »
Hey guys,

What are the chances mod a - wit & donne - would specify a poem?

I'm doing it as well, and I don't reckon. If they do, then I think it would be a more common one eg death be not proud rather than apparition (see the 2016 exam)
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4223 on: October 18, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
I'm doing it as well, and I don't reckon. If they do, then I think it would be a more common one eg death be not proud rather than apparition (see the 2016 exam)

i focused on a valediction & hymne ?

how abt for speeches; they've been specifying alot, do you reckon they'd do it again? if so, who most likely?

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4224 on: October 18, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »
hey guys,

whats textual integrity - how do i incorporate it in my essay?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4225 on: October 18, 2018, 04:18:14 pm »
i focused on a valediction & hymne ?

how abt for speeches; they've been specifying alot, do you reckon they'd do it again? if so, who most likely?

I don't think they will say make reference to a specific poem unless its like 2016. Its about the connections between W;t and the poetry as a whole. For speeches I don't know because I'm doing Hamlet, but I assume yes, it's possible, since its mod B
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #4226 on: October 18, 2018, 04:19:58 pm »
hey guys,

hey guys,

I think of textual integrity as how a text comes together as a whole, which includes themes, language, and relevance to the audience at the time and also the enduring value (so how it appeals to us today).
I usually add it somewhere at the end of my intro, and also when I'm talking about how the text impacts the responder.

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4227 on: October 18, 2018, 04:20:35 pm »
hey guys,

It means that your understanding of the text makes sense at the beginning, middle and end. So use evidence from the beginning, middle and end of the text. Or if its speeches/poems, use evidence from multiple, I assume that's the same thing
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4228 on: October 18, 2018, 05:17:53 pm »
It means that your understanding of the text makes sense at the beginning, middle and end. So use evidence from the beginning, middle and end of the text. Or if its speeches/poems, use evidence from multiple, I assume that's the same thing

ohh okayyy, so i dont have to specifically mention "textual integrity"?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4229 on: October 18, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
ohh okayyy, so i dont have to specifically mention "textual integrity"?
You shouldn't...

It basically means being true to your understanding of the text...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D