Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:32:27 am

Author Topic: Repeat Further Math  (Read 1960 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Repeat Further Math
« on: July 23, 2019, 05:28:33 pm »
Has anyone here repeated a subject to get a better study score the following year? I am doing further maths this year in year 11 and due to my sacs being very open ended, I haven't been getting the best marks. I am sitting at rank 5-7 ish and wanting a 45+ study score, I feel that even if I smash out the exam, that my study score will drop because of my ranking. I still have 2 sacs to go, graphs and relations and matrices. Would you suggest just keeping my study score this year or should I repeat it next year along my 4 other subjects (yes, I'm doing 5 subjects in total) if I do repeat further. However, if I just stick with my study score of whatever I get this year, I can do a 6th subject (5 subjects next year). Which options and why?
Thank you

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Repeat Further Math
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:00 pm »
+2
I guess it's really up to you, but no matter how many times you complete a subject, it can only count towards your ATAR once. As a 5th and 6th subject would each contriubute 10%, doing 6 subjects may benefit you in that way. However, if you believe that your improvement in further will be greater than this small benefit, perhaps repeating it may be good.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:03 pm »
+3
I wouldn't recommend repeating it. Especially given you've said that the problem for you is the way the SACs are written - this is unlikely to change next year. I'd just do the best you can on it this year, and then do a different subject next year (or just stick with the four, up to you).

If you repeat it, you'll face the (fairly significant) risk that you'll do worse, the same, or very marginally better. Instead you could do a different subject, get an average mark (~30), and have an extra 3 points added to your aggregate (or potentially more), which is a much safer bet than repeating a subject if your aim is to increase your ATAR.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 07:03:12 pm »
What if I want Further in my top 4? Like really really want it in my top subjects which means I want a 45+ score. Would this be possible if I'm in the top 5 ranking (the 4 people above me all differ about 2 marks each, so the highest will 8 marks above me), considering that I do well in the exam?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 07:44:10 pm »
+1
Is there a reason you particularly want further in your top 4?

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:36:31 pm »
Is there a reason you particularly want further in your top 4?

The 'easier' subject relative to my other subjects, so to speak. For reference, my other subjects are:

English
Methods
Chemistry
Physics
(blank)- might do another subject if I underperform in further, or repeat further

Thanks for the replies everyone

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 04:44:44 pm »
+3
If I were in your situation, I'd pick up a sixth subject instead of repeating Further for some of the reasons outlined above. If nothing else, a) you might still get an amazing score this year!, and b) it's really difficult to predict what'll end up being in your top four, particularly this far out.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 06:04:30 pm »
+5
You are way too early on considering this option - particularly when the rankings aren’t finalised - and particularly in a subject where a huge portion of your score is decided by nothing other than your exam performance. Keep studying hard, you could land anywhere between 30-50 right now. Don’t worry about future plans - put your time into making sure your score is as high as you can get it.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 08:05:57 am »
+1
Thanks guys! Will do Bm as my 6th subject next year.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 10:23:03 pm »
+1
Glad you've made a choice! Best of luck ;D

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 11:25:40 pm »
+1
Thank you! All the best

aerya3

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 10:32:41 pm »
+2
There are a number of things to consider before deciding to repeat a subject. The first, and most important, is to ask yourself why you under-performed the first time around. Is it likely that this will happen again?

Secondly, are you willing to put in the effort to get the score you need. Some people think that further maths is easy. It's definitely not. The exam writers need to be able to see the difference between levels of students, so there are always difficult questions on the exams. I would recommend completing all past exams, even those from previous courses, Your teacher will be able to tell you which parts of previous study designs have changed. Alternatively, the checkpoints books do this for you.

Another good idea is to make sure your CAS skills are on point, you are well versed in multiple choice exam techniques and you are willing to re-make your reference book- twice. Once as you progress through the course, then summarise it again during revision prior to the exams.

And if you need help with any of this, get a tutor- https://www.mathstutorsmelbourne.com.au/