Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:12 am

Author Topic: Is 95+ still possible?  (Read 807 times)

rh45_21

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Is 95+ still possible?
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:59:53 am »
So, I currently am in yr 12 and go to a medium-low ranked school (200 as of last year).
My subjects and ranks are as follows
Mathematics Extension 2: 6/6
Mathematics Extension 1: 12/17
Mathematics 2 unit: 1/50
English Advanced: 9/50
Chemsitry: 5/21
Physics: 9/40
Engineering Studies: 2/20
Studies of religion: 13/31

Our mathematics cohort in general is pretty competitive. Unfortunately since I just passed my first exam for extension 2, I will always have that rank for it, even though I am improving and I got 91% in my last assessment task.  However, my cohort for this subject is extremely good and I dont see this effecting my HSC mark as all of us will get 90+ in our external exam. With extension 1, I have a weakness in perms and coms which completely ruined my rank from being first in my first assessment to a drastic twelfth after I just passed this exam. My cohort in itself in this subject is strong in the top 4 ranks however, the rest of the cohort will not get above 85 in their externals. With chemistry, I am happy with my rank because everyone above me is guaranteed 90+ in their externals. In physics i was coming first in the first assessment however did not do as well in the second. Our cohort is strong, with the top 10 having an average of 92%, however, I the assessments have been fairly easy. I just want to know if I do well in my trials and next assessment, will I achieve over 95? I am confident I will achieve over 90 in my externals for each subject except english, however, im just worried about how ranks would effect me. I am also thinking of dropping engineering studies and SOR as I have absolutely no interest in it and with engineering studies, the whole cohort would struggle getting over 70% in the exam other than the two leading ranks. I just wanna know if I still have a chance. Thanks guys. 

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Is 95+ still possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:18:47 am »
So, I currently am in yr 12 and go to a medium-low ranked school (200 as of last year).
My subjects and ranks are as follows
Mathematics Extension 2: 6/6
Mathematics Extension 1: 12/17
Mathematics 2 unit: 1/50
English Advanced: 9/50
Chemsitry: 5/21
Physics: 9/40
Engineering Studies: 2/20
Studies of religion: 13/31

Our mathematics cohort in general is pretty competitive. Unfortunately since I just passed my first exam for extension 2, I will always have that rank for it, even though I am improving and I got 91% in my last assessment task.  However, my cohort for this subject is extremely good and I dont see this effecting my HSC mark as all of us will get 90+ in our external exam. With extension 1, I have a weakness in perms and coms which completely ruined my rank from being first in my first assessment to a drastic twelfth after I just passed this exam. My cohort in itself in this subject is strong in the top 4 ranks however, the rest of the cohort will not get above 85 in their externals. With chemistry, I am happy with my rank because everyone above me is guaranteed 90+ in their externals. In physics i was coming first in the first assessment however did not do as well in the second. Our cohort is strong, with the top 10 having an average of 92%, however, I the assessments have been fairly easy. I just want to know if I do well in my trials and next assessment, will I achieve over 95? I am confident I will achieve over 90 in my externals for each subject except english, however, im just worried about how ranks would effect me. I am also thinking of dropping engineering studies and SOR as I have absolutely no interest in it and with engineering studies, the whole cohort would struggle getting over 70% in the exam other than the two leading ranks. I just wanna know if I still have a chance. Thanks guys.

Here's the thing and I know because my school was ranked about the same. With a lower ranked school it is extremely risky to say "our cohort is good in xxx subject and top xx will get band 6". We thought that for a lot of our subjects and in fact collectively as a cohort we did worse in 4U, Physics, English but we smashed every cohort before us in Software Design and Development. We thought for sure top 10 were guaranteed to get 90+ in 4U, Phys and so did our teachers but everyone was way off, so from personal experience don't have that mentality. Its the harsh truth but it is what it is.

Also you want to drop Engineering because the cohort struggles to get above 70.. In our SDD class we struggled to get above 80 RAW in our exams with most of the class getting 60s except 3 of us. However our final HSC marks got bumped up heaps. People who got 60s for trials ended up with band 5's!!  However this is assuming your exams aren't really easy...

As of know its depending on if your cohort actually achieves what your saying they can, then yeah I reckon you can do it, but remember your cohort might not be as good as you think so work really hard and improve your rank so you don't need to rely on them.

Sorry if I've kind of scared you but this is just my experience. Your's is in your hands
Good luck
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 12:04:57 am by DrDusk »