Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:34:10 pm

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4824572 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #19020 on: December 16, 2020, 04:47:11 pm »
+1
Can I just double check that the study design for Methods in 2021 is the same as the current design? (obviously excluding the changes made in 2020)
Thanks! (:
Yep this current study design has been accredited until the end of 2022 (for units 1-4)

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #19021 on: December 16, 2020, 04:49:49 pm »
Is it worth jumping to 13,14,15,16,17 (stats + prob) on the holidays; the other topics we alreadly covered in 1/2, with only some new additions. It is also the topic I feel least confident with.

Probably not. 3/4 goes into greater depth than 1/2 and you will be surprised how rusty you will become if you don't study the content for 3 months. At least try the chapter review and see that you know the content, before jumping ahead.

Also, if there is another outbreak and the study design is amended, probability and stats will be the first to be taken out.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

aspiringantelope

« Reply #19022 on: December 16, 2020, 04:50:22 pm »
Yep this current study design has been accredited until the end of 2022 (for units 1-4)
Alright! Thanks for the confirmation  :)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #19023 on: December 16, 2020, 04:55:54 pm »
+2
I have a lot of opinions I want to just throw into the ether - no attacks on anybody, and I really want to start with this preface; everybody is different. People who get 50s aren't just people who did really well, or are really smart - the biggest thing that they achieved was finding a system that works for them. That doesn't mean it's built for everyone. So if I say something along the lines of, "you don't need to do this", and you did that and found it helpful, it's not a call out to say you're wrong - nor is it evidence that I'm wrong. It's evidence that you found something that works for you, and may not work for others.

The first one I want to call out - doing chapters early. Firstly, education research suggests that you learn material better if you take it in in 3 separate stages - once prior to learning it in class; then with help from the teacher and with structured, expert guidance; and then by revising the content a final time later. Most classes are actually structured this way, with most teachers using a "do now" at the start of class to get you thinking of the material, they will then teach it to you in a way that suits their pedagogy (way of teaching), and then assign questions as homework for you or gauge your learning using an exit ticket. But you can do this on your own as well - by reading textbook material before you learn it in class, trying some questions, then letting your teacher teach it to you, and finally revising in a manner that doesn't involve doing the questions - maybe you write notes, or answer different questions.

So, if that's true, why would I "call out" doing chapters early? Because if you do that prior reading, and it's too far removed from when your teacher covers it, then you defeat the point of the prior reading, and it's really important you use your teacher to cover misconceptions so that you aren't learning the material poorly - practice does not perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. Having said that, people in the past have found it good to do prior reading before the year - and then re-do that prior reading closer to the lesson.

The next one - question repetition. As above, perfect practice makes perfect - but that doesn't mean you need to do every question imaginable. In my own learning, for the entirety of circular functions graphing/algebra in methods, I did 3-4 questions per exercise. And I don't mean multi-part questions - for example, one exercise I did 1a, 1d, 2a, 2d, and that was it. But sometimes, I'd do every question - when I first learned integration of circular functions in spec, I always forgot to divide by the coefficient of the argument, so I did every question on it in the textbook until I could unlearn that bad behaviour. Do the amount of questions that are right for you, and do enough that you feel competent. Then, after the topic, go back, and see if you can get the basic questions correct again without revising the material - that way, you'll know for sure that whatever amount you did before was enough to get the information in your head.

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #19024 on: December 16, 2020, 09:03:43 pm »
How could you do like 17 chapters in two months? I don't think I have enough time.

I generally do every question, and take notes on each chapter.

to answer your question in my own opinion: don't take notes, i find it to be a waste of time (with maths, you should just do questions, no need for notes unless you really struggle)

i think i counted all the exercises (from memory there are a little over 100) and i aimed to do 2 or 3 a day which left me with time to finish the textbook :)

regarding keltingmeith's reply, i do see your point of view! and the 3 stages you mentioned are really important and interesting to know about in preparation for next year :) even considering this, i think i still would have personally persisted with doing chapters early as i think it gave me an advantage, but each to their own!

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #19025 on: December 16, 2020, 10:50:58 pm »
to answer your question in my own opinion: don't take notes, i find it to be a waste of time (with maths, you should just do questions, no need for notes unless you really struggle)

Whenever I came across a new formula/rule etc I would take a note of it as well as any trick question I keep getting wrong. I had 1-2 sides of A4 on each chapter. I was surprised how many small things I forgot when I looked back over them just before a test. There isn't much reason to create more notes than this per chapter though, and it's important to keep notes per chapter separate so you can sift through them.  When it came to writing a cheat sheet, I then condensed this to a single A4 page. The act of condensing your notes is a pretty good study technique, deciding what you remember and reminding yourself of the stuff you don't.

Repetition is more far important than note taking, but I would recommend organised note taking in small amounts. Keep your notes separate from your exercises, otherwise it will take too long to sift through them.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

Corey King

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #19026 on: December 20, 2020, 01:20:45 am »
Hey guys,
I've not been able to solve this question.
Any help showing me how to solve it would be much appreciated :)
Many thanks,
Corey

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #19027 on: December 20, 2020, 08:38:41 am »
Hey guys,
I've not been able to solve this question.
Any help showing me how to solve it would be much appreciated :)
Many thanks,
Corey
I think you've forgot to attach the question
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19028 on: December 20, 2020, 01:39:55 pm »
Whoops! :P
Q 11 a

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #19029 on: December 20, 2020, 02:47:54 pm »
+5
Whoops! :P
Q 11 a

You could use any base here but I am choosing to use base e —> ln(3^(x+1)) = ln(4^(x-2))

Apply exponent law, i.e.    (x+1) ln(3) = (x-2) ln(4)      [simply brought down the powers]

expand;   ln(3)x + ln(3) = ln(4)x - 2ln(4)
—> ln(3)x - ln(4)x = -2ln(4) - ln(3)
factorise the x;     x (ln(3) - ln(4)) = -2ln(4) - ln(3)
divide everything by (ln(3) - ln(4))

—> x= (-2ln(4)-ln(3))/ (ln(3) - ln(4))

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19030 on: December 22, 2020, 01:05:00 pm »
You could use any base here but I am choosing to use base e —> ln(3^(x+1)) = ln(4^(x-2))

Apply exponent law, i.e.    (x+1) ln(3) = (x-2) ln(4)      [simply brought down the powers]

expand;   ln(3)x + ln(3) = ln(4)x - 2ln(4)
—> ln(3)x - ln(4)x = -2ln(4) - ln(3)
factorise the x;     x (ln(3) - ln(4)) = -2ln(4) - ln(3)
divide everything by (ln(3) - ln(4))

—> x= (-2ln(4)-ln(3))/ (ln(3) - ln(4))

Thanks for the response :)
I haven't come across  "In" before. What is it called? I'm having some trouble googling it.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #19031 on: December 22, 2020, 01:40:14 pm »
+6
I haven't come across  "In" before. What is it called? I'm having some trouble googling it.
ln is loge or natural log

Corey King

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19032 on: December 22, 2020, 05:00:45 pm »
I see, thank you :)
Ive been handed another revision question with a symbol I dont recognise. What does the ' mean in this context?

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #19033 on: December 22, 2020, 05:32:24 pm »
+5
I see, thank you :)
Ive been handed another revision question with a symbol I dont recognise. What does the ' mean in this context?

That symbol (') represents minutes. The full format is degrees, minutes and seconds (I think it's taught in year 9), but it's not really required in methods (haven't seen it any exams).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:54:32 pm by TheEagle »

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
  • ‘The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph'
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #19034 on: December 24, 2020, 10:57:52 am »
Heyo everyone,

So I was doing some practise questions for methods and I was struggling a little on this one.. could someone please help me out?
Q. Find the value of m for which the following simultaneous equations have a unique solution:
-4x + my = -5
-3mx + y =0

I figured out the determinant to be 3m^2 - 4 when I put the coefficients into a matrix and equated it to zero to find the values of m for which they have no unique solutions…
But I’m a little stumped by what ‘a unique solution means’…
Is there another approach I’m supposed to be using?
Thank you!