Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:35:24 am

Author Topic: HELP- HOW TO WRITE MOD B ESSAY  (Read 1424 times)

hilaryl

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HELP- HOW TO WRITE MOD B ESSAY
« on: May 07, 2018, 04:07:51 pm »
I'm currently studying Christina Rossetti for mod B but i'm unsure of how to structure the essays. what depth do i need to know the poem/context to? how do i plan and structure it?

BridgitteH

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: HELP- HOW TO WRITE MOD B ESSAY
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:35:28 am »
+8
I'm currently studying Christina Rossetti for mod B but i'm unsure of how to structure the essays. what depth do i need to know the poem/context to? how do i plan and structure it?

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you. If you have a question which states a poem for analysis it can get a bit tricky. If it doesn't, then you can just substitute set text for another own choice poem. Here are two examples to form the macro structure of the set-text essay off the top of my head:

Intro
Para 1: own choice 1 integrated with set text
Para 2: own choice 2 integrated with set text
Para 3: own choice 3 integrated with set text
etc
Conclusion

Intro
Para 1: own choice 1
Para 2: own choice 2
Para 3: set text
etc.
Conclusion

In terms of micro structure, I find Elyse and Emily's guide in the ATARNotes Course notes a nice and simple way of demonstrating how to write an integrated essay and for a poem/para essay it's just the general paragraph structure but only talking about one text.

In terms of depth, that all depends on what you're willing to risk. Say you're only writing an essay on three of the set texts for this assessment and you focus on two of them, forgetting the third, and as luck would have it, the one you forgot is the one which best suits the question/is the extract. You're better off knowing all of the texts for study in a good amount of depth equally. Doing practice responses to the same question using different texts under time constraints is a really useful way of helping you tell how much you know about what, and improving exam technique.

Anyway, I'm not too sure how helpful this will be, but hopefully this might be of assistance.  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:39:16 am by BridgitteH »
HSC 2018
Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | English Advanced | Legal Studies | Chemistry | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 86.75
Dream Course:
- Bachelor of Law/Music Performance @ USYD/The Con
- Bachelor of Music (Performance) @ The Con