Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:01 am

Author Topic: Best English study methods  (Read 530 times)

Julmus00

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Best English study methods
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:24:18 pm »

Hey guys!! What do you think is honestly better in HSC English, memorising an entire essay and then just adapt it to the question on the day, or just having heaps of quotes + analysis as well as doing heaps of practice responses, and then just write an essay on the day?

Looking for what other people found helpful and what they ended up getting?
Any comment would be appreciated, thank you!

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
Re: Best English study methods
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:40:58 pm »
+2
Hi! I think it depends on whether your strengths include English or not. I have a friend who state ranked in Adv English and she just genuinely loves looking at texts and analysing their nuances and ideas. Which is ultimately how you’re going to get those really high marks.

But as a tech/commerce kid, I didn’t have a knack for it. So I would memorise essay plans (Jake’s article really helped me during my hsc: https://atarnotes.com/dealing-with-english-for-maths-students/), which was basically all my body paragraphs, and adapt the intro, conclusion, and topic sentences to the question on the day.

And I’ve found, as long as you stick to the question (read: link key words in every paragraph) and have decent analysis, you’re always going to get an A— even if it’s 17/20.

So with that method, I had less to remember, I felt more confident, and ended up getting 92/3 in trials and the HSC.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry