Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:30:45 pm

Author Topic: ☾ katie's vce journal ☽  (Read 1312 times)

dankdipper

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
☾ katie's vce journal ☽
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:53:08 am »
+9
11月27日 午前7:45

Hi guys, Katie here!
Wow, I cannot believe this is the beginning of the end. Today is the first day of our school's headstart program, and I'm going into Year 12 for two weeks before actually being in Year 12 next year. Hoo boy!

This year I had already had a taste of next year as I did 3/4 Biology, which was okay but I didn't do as well as I had hoped. For Year 12 I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Japanese SL, Math Methods and English Language. Many people who have already completed school tell me it's quite the workload, but I know from other ATAR Notes user experiences I should be alright. I've made a plan for the coming year which I've attached to this post, hopefully it's not too ambitious! This year for teachers I'm relatively good, however a little concerned that we haven't met our new Physics teacher. I've also heard some not-great-things from the previous year 12's with regard to our English Language teacher, so if anyone has tips for surviving englang with a not-so-great-teacher, I'm all ears! Also any tips for my subject areas would also be very much appreciated :D 

I'm hoping to obtain a 90+ ATAR as my dream course is Global Challenges at Monash. It's like a science degree + lots of sci-com, which requires a 90+, but they have accepted an 83 before so it may not be the end of the world after all. I'm hoping to go into Astrophysics or Astrobiology, two subjects I'm really interested in. I really do like the structure and content of the Monash course, but the campuses are hard to access via public transport and I don't entirely feel that comfortable there. With regard to Uni's I'm rather hung up because UniMelb also looks really good and I love their American college style campuses, and St Hilda's is like a dream come true for me. On top of this, from attending ATAR Notes lectures at RMIT, I found I really enjoyed visiting their campus and using their facilities too. So in summary, yes, I'm very unsure at the moment.

As well as school, I play Women's Div2 volleyball in the State League, I run on weekends, I'm in the school band (I play flute!), I play guitar and I am very passionate about science and learning! I am attending NYSF this summer too! I'm also very much into the study communities on Instagram and YouTube, and I have a studygram account which I hope to update during the year as a sort of diary. Last year I was lucky enough to visit Japan, and I hope to return in the summer of 2019/2020. I work around once a week at my local IGA, so hopefully I'll have enough cash to splash by the time summer rolls around. 🤞 

That's all that's on my mind at the moment, hopefully I'll remember to update this weekly, or if something interesting happens lol. I hope you're having a great day!

- Katie✨
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: ☾ katie's vce journal ☽
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:06:08 am »
+1
You seem super organised so early! Already setting yourself up for success, that’s great. I know I definitely wasn’t this prepared this point of the year last year. Looking forward to reading your journal :)

Keep us updated!
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:29:11 am »
+4
I studied all of the subjects you are (with bio as my head start subject) except that I had a timetable clash for Japanese 2nd language and studied VCE psychology instead - and I'm studying Global Challenges atm. So if you have any questions feel free to hit me up!

In GC admission for my cohort they didn't really care if you got 99 or whatever. There was a benchmark you had to meet to get an interview offer (depending on SEAS), and once you got that, your ATAR was irrelevant.

I studied Eng Lang via distance ed and struggled to receive feedback. I found reading examples of high scoring and low scoring work to be valuable, and benefited from the assistance my friends at other schools. I recommend that you look at the work people have posted on the eng lang subforum and the feedback they received.

GC students spend the vast majority of their time at Clayton campus (like other science students). I live in the western suburbs and although travel time is inconvenient I wouldn't say at all that the campuses are hard to access via public transport.
But I suppose that this could also vary depending on where you're from.

Anyway, I'm going to cut this off here so I don't write an essay, but welcome to atarnotes and good luck for next year!

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:36 am »
+5
Hi Katie! (From a fellow Katie ;) ).

Welcome, welcome!

Love your food plans - they are inspirational, made me hungry just looking at them. ;D And awesome work fitting in plenty of exercise into your weekly routine - something that is not always easy to do. Your daily schedules are well organised - but remember too that if things don't go to plan, and you need to change your schedule a bit, that's ok.  :)

Ooooh, where did you visit in Japan? (I'm leaving for Japan on Friday, so when anyone mentions Japan, my ears instantly prick up haha )
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 11:53:18 am »
+4
Nice touch with the Japanese diary header. You remind me a lot of myself back in the day (wow, now I feel old  :-[). I once played flute. I also went on exchange to Japan back in Year 11 and studied Japanese SL, later unintentionally ending up with a minor in Japanese at Monash (even though I did a Bachelor of Science (Honours)), so I love hearing that people are studying the language! People also say that I’m pretty organised. Kind of like Miniturtle, I did a few of the subjects you are and went down the science route. If you need any help, please ask. Looking forward to reading all about your journey! :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:11:35 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread