Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:51:02 pm

Author Topic: World Cup 2019  (Read 20302 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: World Cup 2019
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 08:09:18 am »
+3
Okay, yeah, England might be in a bit of trouble.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:52 pm »
+1
That Stoinis run out was probably one of the worst dismissals I've seen

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:42 pm »
That Stoinis run out was probably one of the worst dismissals I've seen

Worst dismissal I've ever seen live, by a long shot. I'm not even sure what went down, and I've skipped over that dismissal in all the highlight reels I've watched.

Still glad Australia came out on top though, I remember Australia being 162/1 after 30 overs and expecting them to make 324 (doubling their 30 over score) and being sorely disappointed when they only made 285. I was nearly certain England was going to win when I went to bed during the innings break. I woke up randomly at 3am to find England 9 down for 200-odd and was genuinely surprised. Michael Clarke said on match review that Australia still haven't hit peak form in any of the three disciplines so I'm excited to see what's to come :D

Tonight's game should be a cracker though: while I'd obviously like to see New Zealand win and make it to the semis, a Pakistan win would certainly make England's semifinal spot a bit more of stretch. These last 12 games are looking very promising :) And four teams can potentially oust England out of a semifinal spot; only SA and Afghanistan have been ruled out at this point. Can't use the c-word on England since they're not South Africa but this is getting a bit repetitive now, English form at World Cups :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:38 pm »
+1

They're still fourth on the points table - but definitely have more difficult matches than some of their competitors.  I was impressed by their fabled batting depth when they beat the West Indies easily in spite of both Roy and Morgan being injured.  But it hasn't gone too great for them since then.  I expected them to top the points table, not to be facing possible elimination.  The loss against Pakistan wasn't too terrible, but the loss against Sri Lanka was pretty bad...

I think India, Australia, and NZ are pretty comfortable semi-finalists. I'd quite like Bangladesh to be the fourth, both because Shakib's been playing amazingly and because it would be the perfect conclusion to England's quest for ODI relevance after being eliminated from the 2015 WC by Bangladesh...

The washouts were a pity - NZ-India probably won't make much difference to the semis, but it would have been good to see who could win out of Pak-SL and Bang-SL.  I was also hoping Afghanistan could beat India - they had a decent chance up till the last few overs.

Good to see Australia going fairly well.  Hope to see us win the final two matches, though NZ could be a tough contest.  At least we have a (non-brat) No 1 tennis player backing us :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 09:40:44 pm »
+1
Shaheen bowling bullets. Incredible spell.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 12:01:05 pm »
Time to move on from Maxwell he probably gets the most opportunity from the AUS middle order. E.g. coming in at 200/2, on a flat pitch but protected down the order when it is tough You can't really afford to use a place based on "reputation" that has never been good under pressure and unable to read the game situation.

Also, NZ definitely very lucky to make the top four given they never beat the other 4 teams in the top 5 - but they will get a chance against IND now (which was washed out).

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 12:39:28 pm »
+1
Last night could actually be a pretty costly loss.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 12:05:41 am »
+2
Time to move on from Maxwell he probably gets the most opportunity from the AUS middle order. E.g. coming in at 200/2, on a flat pitch but protected down the order when it is tough You can't really afford to use a place based on "reputation" that has never been good under pressure and unable to read the game situation.

I agree Maxi has been disappointing during the World Cup. Carey has been playing the innings Maxi should have been playing.  However, in the lead-up to the Cup he put in the performances he needed in India and Pakistan, making enough runs at a higher strike rate than anyone else to give Australia a good finish.  In fact, in spite of poor World Cup numbers he's still averaging 34 at a strike rate of 134 for the calendar year, which isn't terrible.  Australia are also relying on him to share fifth-bowler duties with Stoinis, and he was getting wickets earlier in the year, though unfortunately again not during the World Cup.  Plus they like his fielding.

I'm hoping that he makes sure he gets two more games in the World Cup and proves himself in both.  Australia needs an in-form Maxi to balance their current side.  2015 was a breakout World Cup for him, and I'd been hoping that in 2019 he could show again what he brings to the table.

Also, NZ definitely very lucky to make the top four given they never beat the other 4 teams in the top 5 - but they will get a chance against IND now (which was washed out).

And NZ are through to the final.  Early wickets can come in very handy, as can an extra day to reduce the chance of a washout.  Though I was just thinking that if India - NZ hadn't been washed out and NZ had lost it, they would have been eliminated...

Hopefully we have a rematch of the 2015 final in store (including the final result ;) ).  Good luck to Australia against England!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 12:25:07 am »
+2
I agree Maxi has been disappointing during the World Cup. Carey has been playing the innings Maxi should have been playing.  However, in the lead-up to the Cup he put in the performances he needed in India and Pakistan, making enough runs at a higher strike rate than anyone else to give Australia a good finish.  In fact, in spite of poor World Cup numbers he's still averaging 34 at a strike rate of 134 for the calendar year, which isn't terrible.  Australia are also relying on him to share fifth-bowler duties with Stoinis, and he was getting wickets earlier in the year, though unfortunately again not during the World Cup.  Plus they like his fielding.

I'm hoping that he makes sure he gets two more games in the World Cup and proves himself in both.  Australia needs an in-form Maxi to balance their current side.  2015 was a breakout World Cup for him, and I'd been hoping that in 2019 he could show again what he brings to the table.

And NZ are through to the final.  Early wickets can come in very handy, as can an extra day to reduce the chance of a washout.  Though I was just thinking that if India - NZ hadn't been washed out and NZ had lost it, they would have been eliminated...

Hopefully we have a rematch of the 2015 final in store (including the final result ;) ).  Good luck to Australia against England!
hmm on paper maxwell had a great world cup in 2015 but if you go back and look at the situations he was under there was no pressure/easy conditions, looking at his scores over 25 in the 2015 world cup three of them came when Aus scored (342, 417, 376) and the final one was chasing 200 (coming in with 150 scored) - just looking at the summary stats can be quite deceptive
So far this world cup we have seen whenever the pitch isn't a road or the other team is bowling well he can't stay at the crease.

Anyway, they will probably persist with him so hopefully, he can come good.

Interestingly, Kohli is also a player who has some problems with world cup pressure - averages 12 in knockout WorldCup games he will definitely get another WorldCup to fix this though.

EDIT: Handscomb confirmed to be in the playing XI for the semi-final :)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:27:10 am by Sine »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 05:02:44 am »
+3
Huge performance from New Zealand.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 05:56:36 pm »
Huge performance from New Zealand.

This is also coming off the back of literally no-one giving them a chance after being 211/5 after the first day (be honest, you didn't either). It was a clinical performance and would've been a repeat of the warm-up game had Jadeja not played the match of his career. Middle-order problems emerged yet again for India but there's a few positives for them: Pandya can bowl his quota of 10 overs pretty damn well, Pant is looking promising (and he's still 21), Bumrah + Kohli + Rohit still have plenty of years left and the top 3 keep coming through. What a momentum changer, this is what I call a semifinal :)

And the post-match memes are absolute gold; NZ shitposting pages went wild.  eg this fine specimen
Spoiler

Tonight's game should be a cracker though; left-arm pace vs England's batting order, Smith should be batting at No.3 again (we all know from 2015 SF vs Ind what he can do from there), Roy back again, Woakes in the Powerplay, and possibly more lower-order class from Carey.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 07:39:10 pm »
+1
Finch done first ball. Yikes.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2019, 07:45:05 pm »
+1
another one....  hopefully the moment isn't too big for Handscomb in his first game

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2019, 07:55:00 pm »
+1
Gee this looks some tough batting.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »
+3
Yikes