Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:20:12 pm

Author Topic: Best way to study for modern History?!!  (Read 1684 times)

Lexie.palmer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Best way to study for modern History?!!
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:56 pm »
+1
Hey there!

I have a prelim modern history exam this Friday on the Romanov Dynasty and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on studying for history. I don't feel like my notes or palm cards are helping me very much in memorising the things I need to know. Would a mind map be effective in linking events/ideas?
Our teachers have given us the extended response question before the exam so that we can prepare for it. But I'm not sure how i should go about answering it. I have my thesis statement but I don't know much about extended responses. The question is:
"To what extent were the political, economic and social issues of the Russian Empire responsible for the decline and fall of the Romanov Dynasty"

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Lexie

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Best way to study for modern History?!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 06:47:41 pm »
hey there Lexie!
I didn't specifically do the Romanov Dynasty however I can offer study tips!
If you don't think palm cards aren't working for you I would suggest changing up your study method while you're still in year 11. Try reading your notes aloud or record them so you can listen to it. Otherwise, midmaps are definitley a good way to link ideas and events ecspecially in these history subjects (I still have many mindmaps plastered onto my wall for modern  ;D). I also suggest just making a few dot points on the extended that address political, economic and social issues. Also dont forget to mention the "extent" in your thesis e.g "to a lesser/ greater extent" or "____ had a significant impact..."
Just remeber don't stress yourself out too much and get enough sleep before exams!!
Goodluck!
_UwU_

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
+1
Hey there,

Good luck for your exam on Friday! I personally did the Romanov Dynasty in prelims and essentially the best way to prepare is to make an essay plan - whether that's through making tables or mindmaps with your judgement alongside your arguments relating to the political, economic and social issues of the Russian empire. If you do have the time, make a practice essay relating to your points and memorise it, ensuring that you get feed back from others :) In terms of memorising, I got a blank sheet of paper and wrote down information (eg. arguments, evidence) related to the question CLOSED BOOK. I continued this method until I was able to recall all of the information from the essay plan. There are plenty of notes on the Romanov Dynasty on atarnotes, if you do need additional information. Just to reiterate _OwO, don't stress out and remember to get enough sleep before your exam :)

Hope this helps,
avocadinq
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:52:51 pm by avocadinq »
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:28 pm »
+1
Hey there,

I would suggest making a detail table. So have three rows for social, political and economic and three columns, one for really basic information (like dates or a summary of an event etc.) one for quotes and one for statistics. This will make it easier for you to summarise all your content and to structure your response. Disclaimer: I personally found it useful, however, if you're a visual person then mind maps would be a great way to show how all the events link together.

As for the essay question, make sure that you're explicitly stating your thesis in your first sentence, regardless whether it's an essay or an extended response. Since it's an extended response, structure it like a mini essay. You could structure your response like this:

1. Thesis (first sentence)
2. Point 1 (e.g. "This is reflected through the way the Romanov Dynasty responded to social issues, greatly contributing to the fall of the Romanov Dynasty).
3. Elaborate (this is where your detail comes in. Going back to social issues, maybe you could assess Tsar Nicholas II's attitudes towards multi-ethnic backgrounds and the russification, or the distinct social classes).

I'm not sure how many marks the extended response is worth, but assuming it's around 8-10 marks, you should probably be aiming for around 3-4 sentences elaborating your point. Then you move on and assess how the political and economic issues contributed to the fall of the Romanov dynasty. When it comes to the actual details, you don't need to constantly refer to statistics. You could also refer to events such as the poor outcomes of the Russo-Japanese War, which led to the 1905 revolution and the Tsar's response to the revolution made their autocratic system fragile.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW