Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:27:11 am

Author Topic: Remark for english  (Read 1727 times)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
Remark for english
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:37:09 pm »
Hi!
Today I received my task 2 module A essay and i was very disappointed with my mark. I usually score up in the top A range (top 2 marks in the year) however in this exam I got a mid B range result. I know this isn't a terrible mark but for the time and effort I put in for this assessment task I feel like my mark does not reflect this. 
There was one section of my essay which appeared to have not been marked at all so I asked for a re-mark and my teacher said he would read over it tonight and let me know what he thinks.
Obviously i don't think my essay is absolutely perfect however I don't believe i did that bad at all.
Also apparently based off the markers handwriting I got one of the hardest markers in our year, our papers are marked twice but if one is higher and one is lower we get the average of the two marks. The guys with the easier marker got very high marks (which is an issue with the entire subject as a whole being subjective e.t.c... so nothing I can do with that)

If anyone has experience with the English 'remarking process' some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  :)
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Remark for english
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 05:45:16 pm »
Hi!
Today I received my task 2 module A essay and i was very disappointed with my mark. I usually score up in the top A range (top 2 marks in the year) however in this exam I got a mid B range result. I know this isn't a terrible mark but for the time and effort I put in for this assessment task I feel like my mark does not reflect this. 
There was one section of my essay which appeared to have not been marked at all so I asked for a re-mark and my teacher said he would read over it tonight and let me know what he thinks.
Obviously i don't think my essay is absolutely perfect however I don't believe i did that bad at all.
Also apparently based off the markers handwriting I got one of the hardest markers in our year, our papers are marked twice but if one is higher and one is lower we get the average of the two marks. The guys with the easier marker got very high marks (which is an issue with the entire subject as a whole being subjective e.t.c... so nothing I can do with that)

If anyone has experience with the English 'remarking process' some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  :)

Hey Maraos,

See what your teacher says and if it is worth pursuing a formal appeal process. If you get your paper back and aren't satisfied that the mark the original marker gave you has been justified by the new set of eyes, then I'd speak to your assistant principal (presuming this person is in charge of appeals - if not, find your curriculum coordinator) and express that without anyone being able to tell you exactly why you got the mark that you did, you'd like it to be remarked.

If a teacher can explain why you got the mark you did, then the mark is fair. The feedback should give you ways to improve. If you get your work back and are just told "the mark is correct" but not given reasons why: how are you meant to improve? This not only affects your current assessment but future assessments. So, I'd speak to your curriculum coordinator if you feel that the mark is unjust after your own teacher having a look at it too.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

emmacmeyer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:33:06 pm »
are you allowed to ask for a re mark even if your teacher doesn't believe you scold

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 02:42:53 pm »
are you allowed to ask for a re mark even if your teacher doesn't believe you scold

In your school, remarks are pretty much at the discretion of your teacher - Unless you want to go the route of a formal academic appeal (which is normally through a Year coordinator or Assistant Principal in charge of academic/curriculum/assessment matters) ;D