Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:52:13 pm

Author Topic: Dealing with burnout  (Read 3092 times)

Ellen310

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Dealing with burnout
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:28 pm »
Does anyone else feel that they pushed themselves way too hard during Prelim year and now feels "burnt out", because I do. I've always been someone who has enjoyed school, yet I feel I don't have the same motivation/commitment to school as I used to. I think this may be a combination of increased pressure (everything now counts in year 12), my workload is heavier as I have two majors and study two extension subjects, as well as knowing that I only have 8 months until the HSC is completely done and dusted - a figure which feels so close yet so far away - and hence I just want to get these next few months "over and done with".

This post is quite random but if anyone else has similar feelings or has any tips/advice on regaining motivation, your comments would be greatly appreciated!  :)

legorgo18

• Trendsetter
  • A future lawyer.
  • Respect: +2
Re: Dealing with burnout
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:19 pm »
OMG SAME! Not burnt out atm but idk in the future. Yeah just want HSC to be over but at the same time want to study more...

Err for motivation i just watch eric thomas before i study very useful
HSC 2017: Advanced English(94), 2U Maths(97), 3U Maths(49), Bio(91), Chem(88), Chinese in context(88)

Atar: 97.55

Studying a bachelor of  actuarial studies/ bachelor of laws at UNSW

Tutoring details: https://highschooltutors.com.au/tutor/12153

2017 Blakehurst internals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13l8nV_efhmYwlA1hM5grQnymew5pznrn

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:47 pm »
+1
I think to some extent I understand how you're feeling. I never had the intense pressure of it being the final year or anything, but I understand the immense pressure of "this will count towards my ATAR". And for me, I pushed myself for years long before "the real thing" and just crashed.

I think the most important thing in your case is preventing burn out. And my biggest piece of you is to just give it time. Don't try to study like it's a marathon and something you need motivation and drive to do. Just chip away at what must be done and allow yourself to recuperate.
The longer you ignore how you're feeling, the further you're walking into this ditch blinded.
You've worked hard. If it's logical to expect a sportsman to need massages, sports drinks and rest after strenuous activity, why isn't the same true in a student's case? Allow yourself time, don't pressure yourself and get help. Talk about it with a therapist, try to get inspired through TED speakers or studyblrs or researching your dream.

If you can understand that it will take time to enjoy school again, and just continue to 'tread water', hopefully you'll heal over time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:35:36 pm by sarangiya »
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

bluecarraway

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:33 pm »
Does anyone else feel that they pushed themselves way too hard during Prelim year and now feels "burnt out", because I do. I've always been someone who has enjoyed school, yet I feel I don't have the same motivation/commitment to school as I used to. I think this may be a combination of increased pressure (everything now counts in year 12), my workload is heavier as I have two majors and study two extension subjects, as well as knowing that I only have 8 months until the HSC is completely done and dusted - a figure which feels so close yet so far away - and hence I just want to get these next few months "over and done with".

This post is quite random but if anyone else has similar feelings or has any tips/advice on regaining motivation, your comments would be greatly appreciated!  :)

I totally understand how you're feeling! Fortunately, burnouts can be combated super easily  :)
It's important to integrate breaks into your average study day. For me, I like to study in 40-50minutes and have at least a 10-20minute break. That way, I know I am getting a sufficient amount of work done but also taking the time to give myself a well deserved break.
Also, It's a good idea to have one day out of your entire week to do no work at all - yep I know. Like mentioned earlier, this is giving yourself a well deserved break for the amount of effort you've put into the week and allowing you to mentally rest.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:06:46 pm »
+5
I had this at a few stages...

This mightn't be super helpful for you, but maybe you'll be able to take some of this on!
-I celebrated everything - even the tiniest successes. Finished homework before 8pm? Play music really loudly and eat popcorn. Got caught up on all of your study notes? One episode of netflix.
-Also, celebrating important things. I have always been someone who gets motivated by "good job!" rather than "work harder!" So when I got feedback on my work, it would always feel like the negative comments weighed out everything else. So, celebrating the killer introduction, but then working on turning the other parts into killer-paragraphs. For me, a lot of this burning out was because nothing felt like enough, it felt never ending. So when I set my mind frame to taking on little challenges, I could push through.
-Doing well gets very addictive. When you get an assignment back with good marks, you want to maintain it, you want to keep going! It's hard to get to the "good mark" initially when you're burned out, but when you push on, and finally get there, the ball is rolling!
-Sometimes you have to admit defeat and acknowledge you're tired, wrecked, exhausted, brain-dead, and just stop. It used to really get me worked up when I was trying to push knowledge into my head when it just wasn't going to stay there. It would only make the situation worse! But when you pull back and give yourself the rest, then ease into it, you'll absorb more, your study time will seem more fruitful, and you'll be working your way out of the rut...

There's always people feeling like this. If you're just not in the right space for study, you can see that posting it here gives you lots of support! Everyone's been there, some people are going through it with you. If there's anything subject-specific you're struggling with, let me know! But if it's just everything coming down at once - just know it's normal, but it won't stay like this. You'll pull out of the rut and back into the game :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!