Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:25:31 pm

Author Topic: Which Subject to Drop? Currently on 12 units.  (Read 1061 times)

r4id3r

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Which Subject to Drop? Currently on 12 units.
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »
Hi all,
Just wondering some advice on whether I should drop a subject or two to lessen the workload for the remainder of Year 12. Any advice on how these subjects scale (aligned to my current marks) would be great, I'm aiming for a 90+ ATAR!

English Advanced - 84
English Extension 1 -
English Extension 2 - 78
Mathematics General - 86
Biology - 97
Chemistry - 83
Drama - 84

Thanks!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Which Subject to Drop? Currently on 12 units.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:44:53 pm »
+3
(Remark: You don't have to drop anything. Dropping a subject just reduces your workload; it is not directly related to the ATAR. Many of the moderators here have done exceptionally well with 12+ units, and some members even 16 units.)

Forget about the ATAR aim on what to drop. An ATAR aim is a motivation to study, not a way to pick out subjects with bad scaling to eliminate. Think about what subject you like the LEAST, or even which subject you just hate. That is what you should be dropping.

Given that you're doing 4 units of English there should be no evidence to suggest that you hate it, so we put that aside. Your marks are clearly outstanding for biology. This hopefully implies you enjoy the subject a lot, and it's something you will put a lot of effort into, and would likely also be out of the question.

That leaves maths, chemistry and drama. Your performance is about the same in all of them thus far. So think about which one of the three is the one you'd probably dislike the most. Because that is the one you're going to be putting less time into your studying. You're not going to study for something you're uninterested in. The subjects each have their perks and nuisances, so you should be the judge of which you want to get rid of.

And, tbh, if you really feel the same way about all of them, then consider just doing 12 units.

r4id3r

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Which Subject to Drop? Currently on 12 units.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:30 am »
+1
Awesome advice! I think I'll keep the 12 for now, and make a final decision after the half-yearlies :)