Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:46 am

Author Topic: Advice on managing two majors  (Read 5751 times)

Ellen310

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Advice on managing two majors
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 04:29:36 pm »
I do both Society and Culture and Extension History, both of which are subjects I enjoy immensely.

Following the distribution of our Extension History assessment results, seven out of fifteen people dropped the class due to their (presumably) bad marks. This leaves me ranked poorly amongst the best students.

I'm persisting due not only to my vestigal passion for this unit, and my need for a safety net, but my hope that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to ascend the ranks and land somewhere up the top.

Each major work poses a looming threat to my sanity, as they are both research based, a field of which I am dubious in my ability to thoroughly achieve. I prefer to write without hindrance or disruptions from other sources, and no, don't ask; I haven't a clue what's wrong with me either.

How many people do either of these subjects at your school? How well are they faring?
How are you finding Society and Culture so far?

Anyway, good luck for your major works! Submit your questionnaire on the PIP thread (if any). I will definitely answer it since I frequent that thread out of empathy for my fellow Society and Culture students.

:)

Hey thanks so much for your comment and sorry for the late reply - I've just been getting organised for mid years in a few weeks and hence haven't been online in a little while.

First off, good on you for persisting with extension history! Despite your "low rank" I'm sure with hard work and effort which you seem to possess, you will work your way up there - the most important thing is you have a passion for the subject so just harness that and I'm sure you'll do well. And like Susie said, the importance of rank diminishes with class size :)

In terms of the two subjects, whilst I'm the only one in my year who does both society and culture and extension history, there are 11 girls who do extension history and approximately 30-40 girls who do society and culture (we have two society classes, so I'm not 100% sure on the numbers). I'm finding Society not too bad, as the work we do in class isn't overly strenuous, it's just managing the PIP that is a point of concern for me. However, I know that there are girls in both my society and extension class who are still trying to finalise their topics or are just beginning research, whereas I'm now in the process of finalising my primary research for society and beginning to write a rough draft for my history major, as well as continuing to research. So in comparison to others, I would say I'm not doing too bad with my majors, however I never really feel as if I'm "on top" of them or that I'm making much progress - which you can probably relate too haha

Anyways, all the best for your majors and try not to let them ruin your sanity too much (although admittedly that is quite ironic coming from me) :)