Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:43:31 am

Author Topic: A turtle's exploration of the world of science & leadership  (Read 26339 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: A turtle's exploration of the world of science & leadership
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 11:06:57 pm »
I'm sure these Honours students would be more than happy to discuss their presentations; I know I would.

Also, with regards to MTH1030 (I assume by the tense you're finishing with it soon), it might be comforting to know that I've been down that rabbit hole before and struggled in that unit too. You're not alone in that mentality, but, as you said, it's definitely a humbling experience to really learn more than anything.

Good luck with the rest of your exams. :)

Thank you!

Yeah, I've got the MTH1030 exam next week (who schedules an exam for 6-8pm on a Monday??), so you did infer accurately. It is good to hear your thoughts on that too :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 11:21:08 pm »
+3
As for the rest of this entry, this is going to be less course-focused and more personal so feel free to skip :)
I wasn't quite sure what to focus this section on, but in the end I picked my maths journey since it's somewhat relevant to VCE students now
probably more backstory than really warranted in this
Like many kids I suppose, I liked being around my mum. So when she was studying (accounting) at home, I would often be sitting next to her & in my boredom I would play with the scientific calculator on the table - trying to make sentences from  "sin" "cos" "tan" "log" etc. Sometimes I'd ask what particular things meant, and depending on the difficulty mum might explain it to me.

I guess this is why when I was doing maths in primary school it never seemed threatening or scary. I associated only positive memories with it with it (except for that time I only got 39/40 on a maths test and broke down crying in front of my classmates (I was that student) ) and it wasn't very difficult. Overtime I got used to making more mistakes, and English was my strongest subject, but rarely if ever did I have difficulty understanding maths concepts. Teachers said they'd deliver extended work but well, teachers have multiple classes and a range of students in each class. They never got around to it. I was frequently frustrated by the slow pace of school mathematics & felt that many years had been wasted not learning anything. So when the advanced maths class for year 10 maths clashed with units 1&2 of biology, I talked the school into letting me take biology and attend a standard math class, but I'd learn and be assessed on the advanced content through teaching myself & getting the other class' tests.

That worked out ok, but then when I started units 1&2 of methods next year I didn't know how to ask for help. Afterall, wouldn't it be hypocritical of me to not easily understand all of the concepts when I'd been complaining about school maths being easy? I'd been learning without a teacher in the previous year, so why couldn't I just do that this year? In the final exam we had, I didn't use a summary book and I borrowed someone else's CAS 10 minutes before the exam started yet scored 100%. That settled it then, I didn't actually need help or ask questions when it came to maths - I could do it all on my own.

At the start of next year I talked to a friend who also had aptitude for maths. We agreed that it didn't matter which one of us got dux (since we assumed it'd most likely be one of us) because we'd both do well on the exam anyway. Throughout the year I encouraged them to study and prepare for SACs, we worked through problems together, worked out short cuts and coded programs to use on our CASs. They still didn't do nearly as much practice as me, but this was someone who had learnt some VCE math content in year 8 for fun.

When it came time for the first SAC I had already completed all of the relevant questions in Checkpoints and felt quite confident. That changed. My teacher, it turned out, had a knack for creating problems more difficult than even MAV. Some of the questions were very reasonable, but my confidence shattered like glass and I couldn't think. I needed the answer from part a) to complete the rest of the question - but the solve function and my mind just weren't cutting it. Towards the end I finally figured it out, and rushed the rest of the questions; but not before breaking down in class when the teacher noticed me staring at the front page and asked if I was ok. At that point I wasn't even seeing the question, I was seeing my future rushing away from me. If I couldn't even do remotely well on this first SAC, then why should I do well in methods at all? I wouldn't. And I was confident so my other subjects I was confident in? Nope. I must be destined to perform poorly in those as well. My future seemed written in stone - I would be the great disapointment who showed a spark of potential and self-immolated in it. I got 53% on that SAC - my first SAC of year 12 (not the kind of thing you usually hear from people who got 98 ATARs but it's the type of thing you should probably hear more often).

After that SAC, I struggled to believe in my mathematical ability but was still too stubborn and self-concious to ask for help. I would answer questions well in class and when it came to the SACs I would be consumed by doubt and forgetfulness - which resulted in making a lot of "stupid errors". Over the course of the year it became clear that my aforementioned friend would get rank 1, despite me explaining concepts or questions to them more commonly than the reverse.

In the revision lectures I went to I was the one answering questions, and a lecturer (not AN this was a school organised one) told me I'd probably get 45+. (That would've been nice.) Finally it was exam 1 day. I'd completed lots of practice exams and learnt from them, so I was getting around 100% on exam one and a bit lower on exam 2. I walked into the year 12 study room to wish people good luck and my friend/rank 1 told me I was going to be annoyed at them. I learnt that they had not done any preperation. That they had only written a sentence in their english exam, and were "screwed already so why bother trying". 

They were wrong - "annoyed" wasn't the most accurate description of my emotions at that point in time.

I worked my way through the exam, and attempted the last question early so I knew how to pace myself for the rest of the exam. My answer didn't work with VCAAs graph (it was actually the right answer, VCAAs graph was just weird) so I crossed it out and tried again. And again. And again. And in that moment, the graph was almost like the graph at the start of my first maths SAC.

This is not a story where I get a 45+ study score for methods. Because I didn't. I only got a B+ on that exam - and that alone would have been enough to make 45+ impossible.

This is a story about how I went home and cried, realising that my study score wouldn't amount to what maybe it could have been. Realising that my SAC scores would be low and probably my exam 1 score as well. It's a story about after hours of failing to do anything remotely productive I practiced math problems through my tears until they went away. I did better on exam 2 than exam 1.

When I got my ATAR my main reaction was disapointment at my methods score - I scored a C+ for my SACs.
It meant I would never tutor methods. It meant I wasn't a maths person. It meant I was less than I thought I was.
I'm not usually a vindicative person, but I was glad that rank 1 didn't dux methods

In my sem 1 maths subject, MTH1020, I cruised at the start and stopped putting in any reasonable effort in towards the end (I got bored because the content felt too easy and familiar). I still got a decent score, but it was certainly less than my potential. In my sem 2 maths subject MTH1030 I have not been cruising. I've been reminding myself that I'm here to learn - not to already know everything.

Now when I look at my maths scores, it means I'm learning. I'm trying. And so what if I don't full-mark the exam? That's just a reminder that I can keep learning and making progress.

It has taken a while, but my methods score doesn't mean all that much to me now. Maybe it was even a good thing - maybe without wanting to "prove myself" after methods I wouldn't have taken MTH1030 and wouldn't have the opportunity to do more maths next year.

The takeaways for year 12s reading this:
- it's ok if your  exam 1 desn't go as well as planned, there's always exam 2
- it's ok if your study score isn't what you wanted it to be
- it's ok if you feel a whole bunch of emotions about it anyway
- those emotions change overtime
- it's healthy to let go a bit of wanting to look smart / not wanting to look unintelligent

Best of luck to all of you :)

(questions are allowed if you ever have them)

Thanks for posting this mt <3

(Also, good luck for your math exam)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 04:51:47 pm »
+7
I've finished exams! 
Still got course related things tomorrow and the day after but that's by choice so this is kind of the end of another academic year.

Today was enviro bio which is the first exam I've done on a laptop and I have to say that eassessment isn't all that bad for multiple choice.  We could highlight (in several colours), type notes,  flag questions we were unsure of etc. (And unlike normal,  we didn't have to use our phones to log on)

I found having an evening exam (maths) difficult & feel like I could've done better but the exam was fair and I think I did alright.

I still need to reenrol, chase up what's happening with the yr8 stem camp, and start working on my business for next year   but I'm glad to have assessment over. 

This isn't the end of my uni journey journal for this year,  but it is an end of sorts so...

emotional intelligence journey
One of the things I've been working on this year is my emotional intelligence.  The first this was really raised to me was at Alpine School in year 9. One of the things that the school is supposed to teach you is independence, but I was soon told that I was too independent and that I should focus on interdependence (and maybe actually ask people for help, open up to others more etc). This set the foundation for later leadership work on emotional intelligence, and since last year at RYLA I've been thinking about the power of vulnerability in particular.  This year I wanted to improve my emotional intelligence & specifically explore the power of vulnerability more - and both AN and GC have been integral to this. 

In GC this has manifested in my speeches as well as conversations in and out of the classroom. My main weakness in public speaking has previously been lack of emotional expression whereas now uneven distribution of eye contact is probably a bigger issue.  I've discussed my emotions  transparently more often and been significantly more open about things I dislike/d about myself and my past. 

At the start of this year I didn't know whether to make a journey journal or not because "it'd be boring and it wouldn't be interesting because I'm too closed off" (thanks fellow mods for telling me to make one anyway) but it's safe to say that I've been more expressive than I originally thought I would be. 

I've been humbled by the trust and openness of other users - whether by pm or on forums -  and their willingness to share their emotions and experiences. Sometimes I occasionally see an aspect of myself in others' words and more often than not I get to see a perspective I otherwise might’ve never known.  I'm proud and grateful for how supportive the AN community is - which wouldn't be possible without vulnerability.

Thank you

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2018, 10:48:17 pm »
+14
I've reenrolled. The STEM camp has been pushed back to next year due to paperwork issues *sigh* and I've done a fair bit of work on my business. I'm hoping that starting early makes next year less stressful, and that some small amount of profit might be produced. Things still aren't 100% how I'd like them to be, but got to start somewhere right?

I'll also be speaking to my highschool's 2019 year 12 cohort and might be helping out at a Monash science camp for high school students next year, but I'm not sure yet.

I've kind of been a burnt-out and sleep deprived mess for the past 2 weeks, but I seem to be functioning better this week so hopefully the next few days are also alright. Sleep deprivation in particular puts me in an oversharing mode so hopefully I don't derail this thread too much with that ahaha.

Uni grades are out and I'm happy with my marks. haven't scored below 70 in anything and a 70 average is what I need for my course so I'm content with that. I'm not sure if this has been at all noticeable from changes to my signature, (all study scores > just ATAR > neither) but I've been learning to let go of academic perfectionism and grades. Being in a different environment has definitely helped with this; I don't know if I could have adopted this mindset in high school.

I've done a little bit of prelearning for some of my maths next year and will probably continue that over the holidays, but it seems like I don't have access to the Mathematics and Learning Centre on Moodle atm, which is a bit sad.

Looking back I've had a lot of growth and development this year - which is what I really wanted - so although some things have been less than ideal I have a lot to be grateful for.

One of those is the people I have been around so thank you:

- to J41, for your support and encouragement - both this year and last
- to K8, for reaching out & your kindness
- to Calebark, for being AN's favourite reptile
- to Insanipi, for bringing brightness
- to PF, because how could I not feel rapport with you
- to Poet, for the courageous openness that builds connection
- to AngelWings, for the guidance of your wings
- to the math mods, for your dedicated examples
 I could go on forever so I'll wrap this up with:
- to everyone who interacted with the psych section this year - you made being a mod mean something
- to the other mods and the mods before - you've built these foundations
- to the users - this community is for you

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2019, 12:38:26 pm »
+10
Abbreviation help: GC = Global Challenges = my course, Bachelor of Science Advanced – Global Challenges (Honours.). We can pretend that calling it GC makes the title seem less pretentious :P

It’s been a decent while since my last post on here, so I thought I’d catch you up on what’s been happening with me. There have been a few catch-ups for a range of events but excluding those:

December:
Helped out with course interviews. This involved greeting the applicants, trying to soothe their nerves a bit, providing info about the course and being involved in discussions with staff about the interview process etc.

January:
More volunteering for course interviews. Mainly international applicants in these ones.

Spoke about science and my motivations for studying it at MySci, a Monash event run by the science faculty for high school students studying science. One of the graduating GC students spoke with me, and they were from the team doing an honours project I was highly interested in (sustainable sourcing of food for zoo animals), so it was an added bonus to be able to chat with them.

Led group discussions / q&a about studying science at SEAMS camp, a Monash event run by Access Monash for students studying science. At the training for this I networked with other Access Monash mentors and it happened that one of them would be a mentor leader for my mentor group.

February:
Couldn’t go to pre enrollment as I was camping with friends at the time, but a coursemate who went to a few of the interview days was there and able to speak with them so at least they could still get a 2nd year perspective. Also didn't speak to the year 12s from my highschool as I was unwell on that day.

Access Monash Mentor training was better this year than last imo. The activity which people seemed to get the most from was one about examining privilege and recognising that if a mentee isn’t engaged there could be a bunch of reasons why that have nothing to do with us, the mentors, or their choices. Having gone to a highly underrepresented school myself it was strange to see people going through the activity and not pitying people in those situations but seeming to make a bigger deal of them than myself or my classmates seemed to. I don’t think I’m doing a great job of explaining it, and obviously the same situation can have different impacts on different people, but it just felt kinda weird.

I participated in the first year global challenges camp as a mentor which was a brilliant experience. The incoming cohort are a brilliant group of people, and I hope that our year levels keep interacting with each other throughout the degree. We (the mentors) were also able to run an activity, which was particularly fantastic. We’ll be writing up a guide so that it can be ran again on future camps; I hope that future years find it as beneficial and engaging.

The day after camp was an amazing race mass^3 (Monash Advanced Science and Science Scholar Society) ran for the first year students. Seeing as I’m the events co-ordinator for mass^3, it was slightly stressful to have this the day after camp but we still managed to get things sorted. There was a roughly even balance of GC and research students (in terms of participants and volunteers) which was fantastic to see as I hoped for the event to help bridge the gap between research and GC.

Feb isn’t over yet, but the only other GC event I’ll be part of this month is an o-week welcome bbq where all year levels of GC will be mixing. All of the first years should be there and several people from my cohort have indicated that they’ll be there too.

Thankyou everyone for all of your support last year; it's great to dive into this one :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 12:51:55 pm »
+9
I've avoided the month of absence warning!

My schedule each week looks something like this:
Monday:
8am - 10am  math tutorial (got the same tutor as I had for MTH1030 last sem which is fantastic!)
11am-12       math lecture
3pm - 5pm    ecology lab

Tuesday
8am - 10am   math tutorial
10am - 1pm   GC workshop
1pm - 2pm     math lecture
2pm onwards I usually hang around chatting with other GCers and studying

Wednesday to Friday I have the remainder of my lectures, which I livestream from home. Livestreaming is great since it allows me not to travel in & I get to sleep in rather than waking up super early.

Impact through science
I thought that 2nd year would be my least favourite in terms of GC, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Sure, creating a pitch deck and being assessed on it within the first 2 weeks of classes is stressful and we'll probably all get bad scores since the rubric criteria was essentially impossible (eg. one of the HD requirements was world-standard design & another was having the person marking your work consider investing), BUT there's something nice about doing things despite a high chance of failure. (If anyone wants to actually look at my pitch deck lmk & I'll send you a link.)
In other business-related news, I've updated the website with new prices & improved its formatting. Unfortunately, in making the homepage better on desktop I made it terrible on mobile & tablet so I'm going to need to add some more CSS in there to fix that (shouldn't be too hard but I haven't gotten around to it). I've got a meeting with my co-founder next week, which will be great to get more clarity on things (plus I'm also keen to just see them again) :)
On Wednesday my cohort had the chance to meet with some great people with experience in start-ups who shared their stories, answered our questions and talked to us about our businesses; I'm grateful to everyone for being so involved and making time in their busy schedules to be there.
Next week we'll be digging more into our business ideas & I'm keen to see more about what people are planning - it was hard to get a deep nderstanding in the 1 minute pitches due to the very short timeframe. We'll also get to hear more about internships & exchange which I'm very keen for. I've waited to contact organisations about interning there until this so it'll be great to have this session.

Other science
We had our first field trip for ecology last week in the Dandenong Ranges. Plant identification was very difficult, even with the guidebooks and notes we were given - I can't wait to get more proficient at this, and I think I'll look up common species in advance before our next field trip (to the ocean!!!). I'm hoping to get some experience doing research this year but I don't have specific plans around that yet. I'll attend the CURIE (undergrad research center) invitational on Tuesday & I'm keeping my eye out for opportunities through the biological society - if anyone has advice I'd be happy to hear it :).

My math units have been mostly covering prior knowledge so far but I'm sure things are going to get more challenging as semester progresses. I was sent an email at one point saying that I'd gotten a very low score in the diagnostic test and to withdraw from the unit before census date, and a few hours later another email saying that that was an admin error due to my scores not being entered in Moodle. I was shocked by first first email and still apprehensive after the second so it was good to get confirmation in my tute that my diagnostic scores were ok.

Access Monash

I've now been matched with 2 mentees in the Access Monash program and accepted the community leader's scholarship. I met one last week and will meet the other tomorrow - it's good to be working with VCE students this year (and both of them are interested in biology so double-win). I hope they both continue with the program rather than dropping out, but I can only wait and see what happens I guess.

I hope you've all had a great start to semester! :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 01:49:32 pm »
+8
It's me again!

Last week was completely hectic and if my coping skills hadn't improved since year 12 I probably would've had a break down of some sort. Luckily, they have improved and I didn't feel too overhelmed.

Monday I was absent due to illness (which I'd had over the weekend as well) and is the first time I've missed a lab at uni. Luckily I didn't miss much. Unfortunately this also meant missing a math tute and lectures.
Tuesday I had a math assignment due which I'd intended to get done over the weekend but being unwell made that significantly harder... nonetheless I completed nd submitted it on time
Wednesday I had a midsem test, we only had to answer 4 questions, 1 of which was on the assignment and  which was covered in Tuesday's lecture but for some reason I still struggled to remember the answers. I know I won't have gotten full marks but I'm not stressed over it either. I also had a biology report due at midnight from our trip to the ocean to examine life living between the low tide and high tide mark. I was expectionally keen for this seeing as I've wanted to be a marine biologist my whole life, but in the end I didn't spend as much time on the report as I would've liked. That being said, it still took a while (1 of the graphs took me easily over 10 hours to make) even using pivottables in excel to make analysing the data easier. 
Thursday was spent working on another math assignment due Friday.

Next week I'll be catching up on things I've missed, hopefully meeting up with both of my mentees again (I'm not putting much info about this on here because obv student privacy is important, but suffice to say I'm keen to keep working with them), and working on more assignments (luckily not quite so many this time). As the events co-ordinator for mass^3 (Monash Advanced Science and Science Scholars Society) I'll be helping out with an Academic Mixer we're running Tuesday night, which will be a good chance to meet academics and catch up with friends from research and other GC year levels. I'm not expecting to see 3rd year GC students but hopefully a decent amount of 1st years are there.

In GC we're supposed to be practicing our business pitches everyday until our assessed pitches in week 12 and some teams were chosen without warning to do practice pitches last week. The stressor for me in this isn't so much that I'm not ready to pitch my business (even though I'm not really) but that my business isn't ready to be pitched. This week I should focus on making sure I can gain evidence and hopefully traction. I've got some ideas for this but ideas aren't worth much if they aren't put into motion - I can't afford to neglect this (well, I'd survive not making profit but hopefully you get what I mean).

Excitingly, I'm also going to a meet-up for those of us selected for the Global Leaders Experience. Over the break between semesters we'll be spending a week together in Monash Malaysia building our international networks and working on the challenge "How can different generations work together to maximise the benefits of AI in our cities?". I'm not sure how many people are coming to the meetup but there are 15 of us from Monash Australia & I hope most of us can make it (we'll be joined with students from Warwick and Monash Malaysia during the program but obv not expecting them at the meetup). I've never been overseas before and given how competitive the application process was I'm sure all of the participants will be highly driven and interesting people - keen and excited is an understatement.

Anyone who has been to Monash Malaysia, Malysia generally, or simply been overseas feel free to hit me up with stories and/or advice :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 04:26:54 pm »
+3
Monash Malaysia - so exciting. Very jealous. Some of my experiences here but more than happy to answer any questions about the campus or w/e if you have any. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 07:52:58 pm »
+14
A lot has happened since my last post so here's an update!

Global Leaders Experience
The GLE in Malaysia was fantastic! I'm now the only person out of my mum, her siblings, my cousins, my brother etc. to have gone overseas so I didn't have much of an idea of what international travel would be like but I'm definitely keen to go again (and hopefully catch up with some of the friends I made from the University of Warwick and Monash Malaysia). The leadership theory side felt like chill GC revision and most of my learning was from the conversations I had with other students. We had some industry/organisation site visits and there were speakers who came in to talk to us - which were also valuable ways of getting more insight into Malaysia.

If I hadn't recently signed a 12 month lease I would definitely be strongly considering exchange to Monash Malaysia but..

I live near campus now
I've moved into a share house very very close to campus; no more commuting 4 hours a day! I'm pretty used to things like making dinner, cleaning, general chores as I've been doing them for years anyway but it's still a different feeling being 100% independent now. I'm excited for attending lectures in person and therefore being able to walk up to the lecturer and ask them questions afterwards, being able to capitalise on free food and events at campus more and being able to spend time on other productive things rather than travel.

So what I am studying this semester?
- BIO2022: Evolutionary ecology. I'm not particularly excited about this one, but it's going to be useful for developing skills and understandings that'll help me later on. There's not much information up on Moodle yet so hopefully I get more keen when that's released
- BIO2040: Conservation biology. Keen! The only contact hours is one 3 hour workshop with lots of content being provided online (dw, this isn't why I'm keen - even though being able to already complete all of my w1 work has been a plus). A significant reason why I'm keen is that looking in the unit guide there is assessment based on arguing a particular stakeholders pov about an environmental issue. In this type of situation in the past I've usually been given a pov that's not focused on conservation (e.g. in GC last year we had a model UN type situation where I was in the group representing the coal association, in highschool I convinced a bunch of classmates that whaling was fine for an English debate, also in highschool debated argued for fracking etc.) Whatever stakeholder/issue I get I'll be happy :)
- MTH2232: Mathematical statistics. This is the final unit I need to finish my mathematical statistics minor! It's been very motivating to think back on some of the content I covered in MTH2222 last sem and see how it links into statistics used for science & hopefully MTH2232 builds on that well.
- SCI2502: Impact through science 2b. Look, there's a lot I don't know about what's going to happen in this unit but I do know that I'm keen to catch up with my coursemates and Djuke again.

Exams & results
Exams happenned and I was there for them. Felt a bit betrayed by the MTH2222 exam since the practice exams were so similar, lulling me into a false sense of security and the actual exam was more difficult but I still did ok - even if not up to my usual standards. All of my exams were at the start of exam season so there wasn't much time to prepare but that also meant having a longer break so I guess it roughly balances out. Last semester I had my lowest results (so far anyway) but I did intentionally choose units that challenged me and had a weird sem so it doesn't really bother me. I feel that this next semester could be my best so far (I've thought that basically every semester but I've had my reasons and this time it's for real) so let's see how that goes :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 08:52:21 pm »
+12
My last update was before semester so here's a quick update:

BIO2022 > BIO2040
Definitely didn't expect this, but although BIO2040 sounds great on paper I often find myself wanting to disengage in that class during the first hour (which is lecture-ish style). Maybe that's just an unavoidable hazard of the unit being geared to teach conservation principles to students without science backgrounds whereas y'know.. it's my major. For a unit without an exam it also feels very memorise-ish at time. I'd rather be marked on whether I understand and can apply the content than if I can remember an author's name and year of publication during a closed book quiz. One thing that BIO2040 has done really well is giving fast, regular, and detailed enough feedback.

On the other hand, BIO2022 has been pretty great. I find the lecturers engaging & I've been learning new things in both lectures and labs. BIO2022 has also felt like the most quantitatively focused bio unit I have done so far, which definitely helps me view it positively. It's a really nice mix of logically thinking through principles, seeing how these play out in the real world and have been tested, and then applying that to data in a lab setting.

MTH2232 is alright. We've recently gotten up to hypothesis testing which is more related to what I wanted to get out of it. The first half was probability and the 2nd half stats, and I was getting a little sick of probability. Unfortunately, I have neglected MTH2232 a bit over the semester and I should fix that. The unit-co-ordinator/lecturer follows the provided notes and uses different colours for clarity which is a plus. I just find it hard to keep that balance between challenging enough that I'm engaged and not so challenging that I'm struggling in maths.

SCI2502. The first half of semester was spent on corporate innovation. This was very similar to entrepreneurship but more codified, less hands-on, and themed in a corporate setting. It was decent but not as engaging as other GC units have been. At the moment we're back to our 1st sem teacher and looking at systems change. Systems change is pretty broad, but here's an example to explain a little: If people in a community are getting very sick regularly, you might decide to intervene by fundraising to have doctors visit and provide medicine. But, if you haven't changed the underlying reason why they are getting sick, they'll just keep getting sick and eventually people won't want to donate anymore because they'll feel like it's hopeless. On the other hand, if you're able to for example, discover a cheaper and more eco-friendly alternative to an activity that's polluting the communities water supply, you're more likely to create lasting change. In systems change, the focus is on addressing underlying causes to create systemic, replicable change.

Some other things:

- On the weekend I was very fortunate to be able to lecture biology, chemistry, and psychology at the QCE lectures. Absolutely loved talking with QCE students, working with QUT staff & students, and collaborating with my fellow lecturers. If you're reading this, and you were there, please take my sincere thanks :)
I'm keen to continue doing what I can to help out with the transition to the ATAR system and wish you all the best of luck.

- I'm now the president of the Monash Advanced Science and Science Scholar Society. When I first joined the committee I was the only GC-er and now we have 50-50 Global Challenges - Research representation (including in the executive team!). I've got high hopes for the committee and the society in general, so let's hope that comes true

I thought this semester would be my best one so far. I don't know if it will be academically, but that's fine because in general it has been :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2019, 10:23:44 pm »
+9
It's week 12 (last week of semester) and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It'll be good to have more time and I feel like I haven't overpacked my holidays with things to do for a change. Well, that's not strictly true but most of the things I'll be spending time on don't have dates attached which means I'm more "free". I've still got 2 assessments left (1 a tiny quiz for conservation bio that I've already done the work for and the other a 20% reflection for impact through science which I've now "done" multiple times - will probably tweak again tomorrow)

In terms of exams I have 2: Evolutionary ecology is an electronic exam on the 12th of November at 6pm & mathematical statistics is a normal exam at 2pm on the 19th of November.

I'm going to have to make sure I actually study for evolutionary ecology (which I'm much more comfortable with) and don't just focus on stats. The thing is, even though I did VCE bio and psych I never approached them as "content subjects" or sat down and memorised definitions or examples. To walk into the exam room as confidently as I want to I'm going to need to remember case studies, authors & dates. Genuinely thinking about trying to teach you all 2nd year ecology to brand the knowledge into my brain. Let's see how I go.

At the end of our mathematical statistics lecture today our lecturer put up a poll asking how confident people were that they would pass (the lecture theatre burst into laughter, it was a nice moment) and I found myself selecting "very" (the max confidence option) which put things into perspective a bit. Yeah sure, math stats is the unit I'll probably get the lowest mark on this sem but I still think it will be ok. I don't have a strong reason to stress over it and I should remember that.

non-assessment stuff
Next Monday I'll be presenting to the Monash Warwick Alliance Board about my experiences in the GLE (that cool leadership thing in Malaysia before semester started). I've set up a group chat with the other students presenting on this (from Monash and Warwick) so we can figure out coordinate what we're doing.

Before then, though, I'll be helping out with a highschool visit to Peninsula campus (through the Access Monash Mentors program). I'm not familiar with Peninsula but I'm confident I'll be able to learn what I need to on the day. I'll also be helping out with a few other highschool events at Monash campuses throughout November so it's also likely I'll get used to the campuses as I go.

Being president has been more hectic this month than I thought it would be. Our treasurer resigned, and the only time we can elect a new one is in the first week of semester next year. Luckily, the previous treasurer has agreed to help out as co-op treasurer and there's someone who wants to be treasurer. (Not having a treasurer and no one indicating interest in the role was a stressful time.) We're holding a study event next Thursday and will be doing a bunch of planning over the holidays to hopefully make next year great! Being the first GC president of mass^3 is neat but it's also pressure & expectation which I hope I live up to.

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting here but let's now move on to news I found out today...

I've been selected to volunteer with the IUCN skink specialist group! Very exciting news, I absolutely love the IUCN's work, mission etc. & have for a while - my 8 year old self would be very happy for me. I'll be helping draft species assessments (i.e. is this skink endangered? critically endangered? etc.) and "other similar tasks".

On a different note, between last entry and this one I've turned 20 which made me realise everything I'd accomplished thus far was something I'd done before 20. My year 8 self wouldn't have expected this but I've got a great foundation for the rest of my life & amazing friends to help me into it. The future is bright and highschool fears are often incorrect.

Best of luck to you all with your exams and stressors, and for those who are struggling rn, I fully believe you can and will go from surviving to thriving. You've got this. We've got this.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2019, 09:53:58 am »
+5
Before then, though, I'll be helping out with a highschool visit to Peninsula campus (through the Access Monash Mentors program). I'm not familiar with Peninsula but I'm confident I'll be able to learn what I need to on the day. I'll also be helping out with a few other highschool events at Monash campuses throughout November so it's also likely I'll get used to the campuses as I go.
Oooh you'll like Peninsula, Bri!
It's also a very easy campus to navigate around, took me less than one day to learn where everything is. The buildings are all labelled by letters, which is infinitely easier to understand than all the weird addresses at Clayton haha.

Just an fyi that there are some swooping birds on campus, but the only ones I've heard of have been at the popup cafe down the bottom of the campus (past A and C buildings, near the bus bay). I've personally never been swooped, though.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 12:21:23 pm »
+13
Oooh you'll like Peninsula, Bri!
It's also a very easy campus to navigate around, took me less than one day to learn where everything is. The buildings are all labelled by letters, which is infinitely easier to understand than all the weird addresses at Clayton haha.

Just an fyi that there are some swooping birds on campus, but the only ones I've heard of have been at the popup cafe down the bottom of the campus (past A and C buildings, near the bus bay). I've personally never been swooped, though.

K888 was right about me liking Peninsula (and I didn't get swooped!) but imo very wrong about letters being an easier system. Give me Clayton where we have street names and numbers any day. I understand building L being the library but everything else seemed very arbitrary. Luckily, when I was on campus tours it was with a final year physio student so they knew where everything was. I've also had a few year 8 days at Caulfield recently and both times all of the mentors there have been from Clayton so I was leading tours but that's pretty straightfoward since Caulfield is basically a big hollow rectangle. I've gotten quite positive feedback from the mentor leaders which almost makes me sad I'm not continuing the program next year but not continuing is the right decision for me given that I can't do everything and still function well.

Update on mass^3 (Monash Advanced science and Science Scholar Society): at our emergency general meeting next year - which we have planned for Week 1 Monday, Semester 1 - we'll also be needing to re-elect our secretary in addition to electing a new treasurer. For the moment, the access that comes with treasurer and secretary is on me & I'm not really happy with this concentration of power & responsibility - it'll be good to have it transferred at the start of next sem. The study event went pretty well, we've had a committee meeting since then and done some more of the paperwork required. The start of next year there's a fair bit to plan but the committee is getting a bit of a break to wind down and relax after exams first. Not going to spoil anything but if anyone reading this is applying for the Global Challenges or Research degree get keen! (you can also join mass^3 even if you aren't in those courses but you wouldn't get voting rights)

In terms of exams, contrary to my concerns in my last post, I over prepared for evo eco and under prepared for stats. In the end, even if I get a score I'm unhappy with for stats I'm glad I chose to push my learning but minoring in something I was less comfortable with. Next semester I'll only have 3 units (+internship unit I'll be doing later) and two of those will be bio units with the other being a selective so it should be pretty chill. There was an opportunity for involvement in research for bio students but only if they met a grade benchmark in 4 2nd year bio units. I had the grades but I only did 3 bio units this year so I couldn't apply. Oh well. On the other hand, I've got a meeting about the IUCN volunteering tomorrow which is exciting :D. I'll be helping out with a highschool event on campus before and after that so should be a busy day but a good-busy one.

At this point in the year I also want to take the time to reflect more generally about my goals for the year.
The thing I really wanted this year was to move out of home & I've done it. Moving into a sharehouse with 3 guys I'd never met before was a bit of a risk but I'm so glad I took it. My mental health and wellbeing has improved substantially and I feel more in control of my life and able to face stressors. On the other hand VCE psych students might remember that major life events - good or bad - are stressful and having a lot of them in a short time frame can be overwhelming. Within the space of a few weeks I moved house, went overseas for the first time, and came back. It wasn't long after that that semester started and I feel like I still haven't caught up with everything: the good and the bad. I haven't read a book in months & there's still a fair bit to knock off my (mental) to do list before I'll do that. That being said, I don't regret the major decisions I've made this year at all; this semester has clearly been my best semester so far in terms of my life and well being. I can't wait for next year to steal that record from it.

AN has become a bigger part of my life this year and I'm very grateful that that could be the case. I can't wait to see what the forums look like this time next year and the users who have joined or stepped up their involvement. A few years ago I hadn't made a single post on atarnotes and now I've made 3000. It's strange to think that back then I didn't know if I'd be able to meaningful contribute or if anyone would want to hear my perspective and that that kept me from posting. It makes me think of this image I don't have on hand where someone looks at a beautifully decorated cake and goes 'my cake isn't as beautiful and great as their cake :( ' meanwhile, the audience's reaction is basically 'yay! Two cakes! :D'. Respect and upvotes is nice and all but ultimately you're giving the reader/question-asker/community something from you & the value of that isn't diminished by what other people bring.

Next semester a significant chuck of my support network will be overseas on exchange and it's reassuring to know that, even though a bunch of close friends will be leaving, there's a bunch of close friends here who I can lean on too.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »
+7
Not going to spoil anything but if anyone reading this is applying for the Global Challenges or Research degree get keen! (you can also join mass^3 even if you aren't in those courses but you wouldn't get voting rights)
I think (mainly from hearing about your experience at Monash, chatting to others and rummaging around the internet) that I am starting to lean towards going to monash next year for the research degree. As such, I shall take your advice and get excited for mass^3. Of all the things i have heard, I think I am most looking forward to the chance to meet and network with professionals (I think you mentioned something about this previously) - I here thats a very crucial aspect of having any success in science research (networking and knowing people).
The thing I really wanted this year was to move out of home & I've done it.
Thats reallly cool!
I am planning on moving out of home next year (ideally in January, but if not definitely in the first half of the year) so I would love to hear what stuggles you faced through the process and how you overcame them. Are there any tips/wisdom that you have gained through the process that you wish someone told to you earlier?

AN has become a bigger part of my life this year and I'm very grateful that that could be the case. I can't wait to see what the forums look like this time next year and the users who have joined or stepped up their involvement. A few years ago I hadn't made a single post on atarnotes and now I've made 3000. It's strange to think that back then I didn't know if I'd be able to meaningful contribute or if anyone would want to hear my perspective and that that kept me from posting. It makes me think of this image I don't have on hand where someone looks at a beautifully decorated cake and goes 'my cake isn't as beautiful and great as their cake :( ' meanwhile, the audience's reaction is basically 'yay! Two cakes! :D'. Respect and upvotes is nice and all but ultimately you're giving the reader/question-asker/community something from you & the value of that isn't diminished by what other people bring.
Well done on 3000 posts! Its such an amazing feat that speaks to your inspiring dedication to the community.
That last sentiment is a very good one to keep in mind - although it does bring up the health concern that you have put 3000 cakes out into AN.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:37 pm »
+3
I think (mainly from hearing about your experience at Monash, chatting to others and rummaging around the internet) that I am starting to lean towards going to monash next year for the research degree. As such, I shall take your advice and get excited for mass^3. Of all the things i have heard, I think I am most looking forward to the chance to meet and network with professionals (I think you mentioned something about this previously) - I here thats a very crucial aspect of having any success in science research (networking and knowing people).Thats reallly cool!
Thanks! We definitely do run networking events with academics and professionals (usually later in the year), there's also faculty specific networking ran outside of mass^3 which you can participate in as well :) One thing I would also add here is don't underestimate the power of talking to your teaching staff and asking them questions about their work after lectures, in labs etc.

I am planning on moving out of home next year (ideally in January, but if not definitely in the first half of the year) so I would love to hear what stuggles you faced through the process and how you overcame them. Are there any tips/wisdom that you have gained through the process that you wish someone told to you earlier?
Hmm.. I was fairly well prepared & already had lived in a rental place w/o my parent for some months by the time I did it but here's my thoughts/advice:
- Paying for stuff is scary, so give yourself a bit of breathing room with your estimates of living expenses and have a buffer you can fall back on if needed
- I was surprised by how little time people had between listing a place and wanting someone to move in
- If you're potentially going to move in with randoms, have a specific profile that's fairly strict - it's better to rule out or be ruled out early than to discover you're incompatible after paying bond, having moved etc.
- Know your tenants rights & be aware that your landlord may not always stick to all of them
- Look well in advance so you can get a feel for what's out there and what reasonable prices are
- Packing & unpacking will take longer than you think it will - mark the box which has your scissors in it
- If moving into a furnished place, make sure you have the right linen size for the bed.

Well done on 3000 posts! Its such an amazing feat that speaks to your inspiring dedication to the community.
That last sentiment is a very good one to keep in mind - although it does bring up the health concern that you have put 3000 cakes out into AN.
Thank you!

That's about 3 cakes a day since my first post so hopefully each has been shared by a fair few people :D