Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:18 pm

Author Topic: Not so relevant chapters for the exam (less worthy marks)  (Read 755 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Not so relevant chapters for the exam (less worthy marks)
« on: September 24, 2020, 12:17:49 am »
Hey AN

I've come to a realisation that I am really behind in chem and if I continue at this pace, I will only have 2 weeks of exam prep which I believe isn't much. With that being said, I am thinking of skipping some content so I could have at least a month of exam prep. I have always wanted chem in my bottom 2 which meant I am aiming for a 30. I have also been suggested to skip chapters 6,12,13 and 14 as they aren't that heavy on the exam and a 30 will still be attainable. I would appreciate any advice!!

Thank you

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: Not so relevant chapters for the exam (less worthy marks)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:00 am »
+4
I’m pretty sure chapter 6 is fuel cells (someone correct me if wrong). And if so maybe at least rite learn the differences between fuel cells, galvanic cells and design features (I.e porous electrode and continuous supply of reactants) because those are like some small one mark questions you could maybe get or a three marker comparison or even an MC!

As for 12,13,14 from memory I think that’s like analysis of organic compounds. I actually think this is somewhat important- even if you can’t draw them just reading the IR and being able to say “oh this wavelength in the spectra indicates their is a C=O bond and since their is an OH at 3000 it’s a carboxylic acid” could get you a mark or maybe even more!!!!

Maybe just at least go through these chapters lightly I don’t think you should skip over them especially 12-14 because they weren’t cut off the study design and apparently what WASnt cut off in unit 4 is most likely on the exam this year- although this is just speculation. But it would be unfortunate if a WHOLE question was on spectroscopy techniques.

I am also a fellow year 12 take my advice with a grain of salt! I’ve done a few prac exams and asking about fuel cells is a common thing to which I respond either
1. Continuous supply of reactants
2. Porous electrode (or is it electrolyte..... :P see novice)

Good luck Eagle!!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:26:38 am by Coolgalbornin03Lo »
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 02:15:52 pm »
Hey AN

I've come to a realisation that I am really behind in chem and if I continue at this pace, I will only have 2 weeks of exam prep which I believe isn't much. With that being said, I am thinking of skipping some content so I could have at least a month of exam prep. I have always wanted chem in my bottom 2 which meant I am aiming for a 30. I have also been suggested to skip chapters 6,12,13 and 14 as they aren't that heavy on the exam and a 30 will still be attainable. I would appreciate any advice!!

Thank you

Sure, which textbook do you use?

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:39:12 pm »
Sure, which textbook do you use?

Oops I just assume it’s Heinemann  2!
If not please disregard my answer, Eagle!

Nice signature-made my day
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:13:17 pm »
Heinemann 2

Coolgalbornin03Lo, regardless of the book, your advice has been appreciated!! Thanks so much