Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:33 pm

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38615 times)  Share 

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 07:47:19 pm »
Hey I was wondering for the 2013 HSC Q26 (Analyse the impact of urban dynamics on the ecological sustainability of a large city in the developed world - being Sydney) it is legitimate to say that the changing economic character of Sydney with urban consolidation and decay of manufacturing warehouses has led to improved ecological sustainability. Ideally I wouldn't pick this as my essay but if I had to what would be the key things to note

I atrempted to write this essay cause I'm trying to avoid writing about my enterprise and found it so hard! I messaged my teacher asking the same thing but no reply yet. I think if you were to talk about decay link that to renewal and show how by renewing the space land isn't wasted and more oppotunities for ecologically sustainable design are presented. You could also maybe talk about how suburbanisation means more land needs to be cleared having a negative impact on ecological sustainability. Other than that I'm in the same boat.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 07:49:36 pm »
Hey. I just did an essay on this question. I just strucutured it two paragrpahs on social strcuture, 2 on economic charecter and 2 on clculutre of place in sydney. Every sentence i just tried to shape it to talk about the dynamics affecting these areas of Sydney to lead to a sustinable future and longevity of the city. The point u made above was like the exact same as i was talking about. if u want . dm me and we can trade essay?
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 07:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the help guys but I'm only writing essay plans rather than full essays and just trying to brainstorm responses for the past years.

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 08:01:55 pm »
Any predictions for the essays though? There's been a lot of megacities and enterprise recently for People and Economic Activity and Urban Places so I'm personally hoping for economic character of Sydney, maybe factors of activity and impacts and management strategies

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 08:25:20 pm »
Any predictions for the essays though? There's been a lot of megacities and enterprise recently for People and Economic Activity and Urban Places so I'm personally hoping for economic character of Sydney, maybe factors of activity and impacts and management strategies

I went through all the past questions since 2001 yesterday. They have not asked about dominance/dependence since 2005 and have never asked about regional centres so they could be a possibility.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 08:44:00 pm »
+2

I have an extended response tracker that I keep meaning to make predictions from but havnt yet. I've attatched it here so maybe you can look at it and see what you think.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1g7fUpejE8-V2dCbGo5OXdUdkk
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:57 pm »
That's some awesome dedication, hopefully it works out for you on Tuesday.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: GEOGRAPHY RESOURCES THREAD
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 10:51:51 am »
+1
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 11:45:01 am »
You do Drayton's?! That's awesome! I kinda struggle with the Drayton's part so I feel like I should pick your brain but don't know where to start. How have you been going about learning/ revising the enterprise stuff?

Yeah I was surprised to find someone else doing it! :) I honestly love viticulture/Drayton the most in year 12 geo, I got these super great notes from bored of studies that I basically use for everything, as well as my own excursion notes! So I usually sit down and memorise everything, but I don't really have enough time for this exam lol so I am basically reading over everything and memorising heaps of stats, so it usually comes to me in exams. What about you??

If they ask an urban dynamics question, which they probably will, I won't be happy :/
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

16Elias

• Trailblazer
  • School: Oakhill
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 03:51:11 pm »
Well again it comes to that point where I have 8-9hours to study, ive spent most of my time just reading and reading but I dont think that is the right way to go. I have got sample answers from 2016-2009 for short answers and a bunch of practise essay plans. What should i be doing to make the most of my study time so I dont fail tomorrow? :(

marshmallow.on.fire

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 04:20:26 pm »
+1
Well again it comes to that point where I have 8-9hours to study, ive spent most of my time just reading and reading but I dont think that is the right way to go. I have got sample answers from 2016-2009 for short answers and a bunch of practise essay plans. What should i be doing to make the most of my study time so I dont fail tomorrow? :(

Though it's likely you've already considered some of these options, these are what i've been using to study recently:
- plan several extended responses in reference to past questions (and then actually write some of these)
- memorise statistics for every topic(make flash cards or posters)
- make mind maps on some of the most popular topics (e.g. nature and spatial patterns for world cities)
- find some simple diagrams/graphs/maps/tables which you can use in your extended responses and longer short answer questions (e.g. long shore drift or dune systems).
- focus on the areas you struggle with  (for me that's finding the area in maps...)

I hope this helps! Good luck everyone tomorrow!
I fell in love with atarnotes the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

(except skip the slowly!)

2017 HSC subjects:
Advanced English
Biology
Mathematics
Chemistry
Geography

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »
Yeah I was surprised to find someone else doing it! :) I honestly love viticulture/Drayton the most in year 12 geo, I got these super great notes from bored of studies that I basically use for everything, as well as my own excursion notes! So I usually sit down and memorise everything, but I don't really have enough time for this exam lol so I am basically reading over everything and memorising heaps of stats, so it usually comes to me in exams. What about you??

If they ask an urban dynamics question, which they probably will, I won't be happy :/
Ooh what notes from BoS do you use? I know it's so late but my teacher was away a lot at the end of the topic and seems to be MIA these holidays so he just kinda gave us a brief ppt to teach ourselves which I don't understand. I've gone through it several times and made notes so hopefully some of it sticks but yeah - despite loving viticulture I'm not looking forward to Drayton's.

For everything else it's fine. I've just made little mind maps of key points, done/ planned some past papers, read my past assesment tasks looking for weaknesses and things I've forgotten and reading over my examples. I really need to do some hard core skills practice in the next 4 hours too. So basically skills and Drayton's are my downfall right now.

Annie657

• Forum Regular
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 05:17:43 pm »
Ooh what notes from BoS do you use? I know it's so late but my teacher was away a lot at the end of the topic and seems to be MIA these holidays so he just kinda gave us a brief ppt to teach ourselves which I don't understand. I've gone through it several times and made notes so hopefully some of it sticks but yeah - despite loving viticulture I'm not looking forward to Drayton's.

For everything else it's fine. I've just made little mind maps of key points, done/ planned some past papers, read my past assesment tasks looking for weaknesses and things I've forgotten and reading over my examples. I really need to do some hard core skills practice in the next 4 hours too. So basically skills and Drayton's are my downfall right now.

Yeah so here is a link to the notes, if they don't work they are in the resources sections which you have to make an account for :) draytons is down the bottom!

http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/arts/geography/1164156919_2006_Geography_Notes.doc

You sound pretty prepared! I have a long way to go so I am a bit stressed, and chem is on Wednesday :/ just gotta cram those urban dynamics!
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

16Elias

• Trailblazer
  • School: Oakhill
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »
Yeah so here is a link to the notes, if they don't work they are in the resources sections which you have to make an account for :) draytons is down the bottom!

http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/arts/geography/1164156919_2006_Geography_Notes.doc

You sound pretty prepared! I have a long way to go so I am a bit stressed, and chem is on Wednesday :/ just gotta cram those urban dynamics!

I feel like I have much more to do than you do. I dont have any stats memorised at all.

Annie657

• Forum Regular
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 05:55:10 pm »
I feel like I have much more to do than you do. I dont have any stats memorised at all.

Don't worry too much, geo is one of those subjects you can make up stuff in the exam and they won't realise. In trials my friend made up 3 articles for megacities and got 18/20 (double marked by the ravenswood teacher) so you should be fine lol.