Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:08:35 pm

Poll

To which of the following states/territories have you travelled?

Australian Capital Territory
21 (15.2%)
New South Wales
25 (18.1%)
Northern Territory
6 (4.3%)
Queensland
20 (14.5%)
South Australia
16 (11.6%)
Tasmania
15 (10.9%)
Victoria
31 (22.5%)
Western Australia
4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Where in Australia have you been?  (Read 3670 times)  Share 

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
Re: Where in Australia have you been?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 11:50:04 pm »
+3
I really like being able to say that although I've never been overseas, I have vistited every state in Australia except Western Australia (don't worry, I'm planning on it someday!). I think its just as good, if not better, to explore my own country first (sorry Yertle the Turtle  :P).

Funny, I got told exactly that when talking with a hiker in California who had visited all 48 contiguous states before going overseas :P

Since then I've added ACT to the list (I already had SA and NSW), but the rest just feel further away from Melbourne. Victoria is just such a varied state, and it feels much easier spending a long weekend within a few hours drive of Melbourne (in any direction) than trying to explore further afield (though this time next week I'll (just) be in South Australia).

I'd love to visit the many icons of Australia I'm supposed to know and don't, and probably will some day - I'm just not particularly interested in flying visits to check a box on a list.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman