Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:13 pm

Author Topic: Selective School Exam 2019: Tips  (Read 9649 times)  Share 

pangushi

Selective School Exam 2019: Tips
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:05:18 pm »
Hello Everyone !

This year I’ll be sitting the test for one of the selective schools with Mac Rob being my first and Suzanne Cory as my second and I was wondering if anyone has any tips and/or tricks to succeed? Maths is my weakness while English is my strength. If any past people have sat the test (have or have not made it in I don’t mind) can you please tell me how it went and how difficult the test is and important things/topics I may need to know?

I also do go to tutoring but I’m quite behind as I started this year while the course started in June last year.

Would also love to make friends here :D

Thanks!

- Pangushi

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
Re: Selective School Exam 2019: Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:56 pm »
+1
Hello Everyone !

This year I’ll be sitting the test for one of the selective schools with Mac Rob being my first and Suzanne Cory as my second and I was wondering if anyone has any tips and/or tricks to succeed? Maths is my weakness while English is my strength. If any past people have sat the test (have or have not made it in I don’t mind) can you please tell me how it went and how difficult the test is and important things/topics I may need to know?

I also do go to tutoring but I’m quite behind as I started this year while the course started in June last year.

Thanks!

- Pangushi
Hey!
Took the test in 2014, honestly didn't find it too bad!
I can't remember much honestly (since it was 4 and a bit years ago!), but I do know that the exam is pretty much designed to weed out the slow thinkers. My advice to you, especially for maths, is to remember the basics and do many practise questions as you can.
Anecdotally, I still remember to this day that on the maths test, I didn't even know my times table lol so I wasted collectively a minute doing them.

For the English ones (not the essay), I suggest you look up words you don't know and read tonnes of books. My tip for the essay writing is a bit outdated as we only had 15 mins to write (I think you guys get up to 30 mins?), but what I did was plan out dot points quickly, and cross out the ones that aren't coherent.

Hope this helps, reach out if you need more help.

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
  • Don't be afraid to fail - be afraid not to try
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:57:03 pm »
time is not on your time :P
recommend doing past exams in strict condition to get you used to their strict timeline
also I recommend hand writing all your practise essays because you really need to write fast

don't stress. yeah screw dat...u better stress its a tough competition out there and once u see the crowd u realise why.. ;D
Anyways y'all Good LUCK not that u need it
“Procrastination kills time but murders your success"
https://www.youtube.com

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:56:57 pm »
Hello Everyone !

Thanks!

- Pangushi
I’m giving the selective test this year and I started my selective course in June last year(Spectrum)
I recommend trying out the ‘De Roza practice selective entry tests’ as they are really similar to the real exam.

Good luck:)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:59:07 pm by ProbotMelbourne »

pangushi

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:26:47 pm »
Hey!
Took the test in 2014, honestly didn't find it too bad!
I can't remember much honestly (since it was 4 and a bit years ago!), but I do know that the exam is pretty much designed to weed out the slow thinkers. My advice to you, especially for maths, is to remember the basics and do many practise questions as you can.
Anecdotally, I still remember to this day that on the maths test, I didn't even know my times table lol so I wasted collectively a minute doing them.

For the English ones (not the essay), I suggest you look up words you don't know and read tonnes of books. My tip for the essay writing is a bit outdated as we only had 15 mins to write (I think you guys get up to 30 mins?), but what I did was plan out dot points quickly, and cross out the ones that aren't coherent.

Hope this helps, reach out if you need more help.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I’m not exactly a slow thinker but more of a guesser so that’s that (not a thing to be proud of rip) Thanks for the advice though, really appreciated. If you do not mind me asking, did you get accepted?

pangushi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:14 pm »
time is not on your time :P
recommend doing past exams in strict condition to get you used to their strict timeline
also I recommend hand writing all your practise essays because you really need to write fast

don't stress. yeah screw dat...u better stress its a tough competition out there and once u see the crowd u realise why.. ;D
Anyways y'all Good LUCK not that u need it

Honestly I’m stressing out already and still have around 3 months to go ahhh. Thanks for the tips though.

pangushi

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 05:29:55 pm »
I’m giving the selective test this year and I started my selective course in June last year(Spectrum)
I recommend trying out the ‘De Roza practice selective entry tests’ as they are really similar to the real exam.

Good luck:)

Oh hey, I go to spectrum aswell ! Bit of a latecomer though rip. Which one do you go to and what school are you applying for? And if you don’t mind, can you tell me what I have missed out on in the last 6 months? Thanks for the tips also :)

lacitam

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:38:31 pm »

Thank you so much for your quick reply, I’m not exactly a slow thinker but more of a guesser so that’s that (not a thing to be proud of rip) Thanks for the advice though, really appreciated. If you do not mind me asking, did you get accepted?
Yes, I was accepted straight in (no principals discretion)
I'd advise you see your current teachers now and go over the concepts you're struggling with (esp for maths as you said it's your weakness)

Good luck :)

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:12 pm »
Oh hey, I go to spectrum aswell ! Bit of a latecomer though rip. Which one do you go to and what school are you applying for? And if you don’t mind, can you tell me what I have missed out on in the last 6 months? Thanks for the tips also :)
I go to the St Albans campus.
I’m applying for MHS 1st preference(it was supposed to be Suzanne but i changed it) and 2nd is Suzanne Cory.
I don’t have my Spectrum books from last year but as far as I can remember, we have done:
Percentages, ratios and decimals
Algebra(Linear)
Unitary method and number patterns
Fractions
A bit of inequalities
A lot of problem solving.
The whole last term was basically about graphs, y and x intercept, gradients and index laws.
We also do practice tests for math, verbal and reading comp at the end of every term(in class)
In term 3 for english(term 1 in selective course) we have done Creative writing, which includes imagery, personification, similes, metaphors, action sequences, show not tell.
Last term for english we have done persuasive writing, which includes TEEL, a structure for rebuttal and a structure for intro n conclusion.
This term we r repeating creative writing(idk why).
We also did some verbal reasoning here and there(especially this term).
Good luck!

pangushi

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »
Yes, I was accepted straight in (no principals discretion)
I'd advise you see your current teachers now and go over the concepts you're struggling with (esp for maths as you said it's your weakness)

Good luck :)

Wow you are smartttttt. I have got some questions (sorry and hope you do not mind once again) but which school(s) did you apply for, in maths, do you know like any short cuts to find the answer instead of doing the entire equation and last question (i think sorry once again) but which test did you find the hardest and easiest?

Sorry for all the questions again

pangushi

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:59 pm »
I go to the St Albans campus.
I’m applying for MHS 1st preference(it was supposed to be Suzanne but i changed it) and 2nd is Suzanne Cory.
I don’t have my Spectrum books from last year but as far as I can remember, we have done:
Percentages, ratios and decimals
Algebra(Linear)
Unitary method and number patterns
Fractions
A bit of inequalities
A lot of problem solving.
The whole last term was basically about graphs, y and x intercept, gradients and index laws.
We also do practice tests for math, verbal and reading comp at the end of every term(in class)
In term 3 for english(term 1 in selective course) we have done Creative writing, which includes imagery, personification, similes, metaphors, action sequences, show not tell.
Last term for english we have done persuasive writing, which includes TEEL, a structure for rebuttal and a structure for intro n conclusion.
This term we r repeating creative writing(idk why).
We also did some verbal reasoning here and there(especially this term).
Good luck!

Oh niceeee, guess I had missed out on alot oops. Is maths or english your strength by the way? Also I go to the Footscray campus  :D

lacitam

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:55:37 pm »
Wow you are smartttttt. I have got some questions (sorry and hope you do not mind once again) but which school(s) did you apply for, in maths, do you know like any short cuts to find the answer instead of doing the entire equation and last question (i think sorry once again) but which test did you find the hardest and easiest?

Sorry for all the questions again
I applied for MHS and NHS (got into MHS).
There really aren't any shortcuts when it comes to Maths. For numerical thinking, I usually try and visualise what's happening and slowly digest the words as to not misconstrue the intent of the question. I don't really have any tips for the maths one as it's hard to cut corners. I guess my advice would be to take extra care with negative signs.

What I did for maths, knowing I had to spend at least 30 seconds on each question, was that if I couldn't do the question in less than 15 seconds then I just move on to the next and come back.

The reading comprehension was by far the simplest - I had plenty of time to go over my answers confidently.
The hardest was definitely numerical reasoning - I hate deciphering worded problems lol

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 03:14:52 pm »
Oh niceeee, guess I had missed out on alot oops. Is maths or english your strength by the way? Also I go to the Footscray campus  :D
I’m really good at maths but I’m super bad at English.
Here’s my order for the tests from easiest to hardest(estimate)
1.numerical reasoning
2.maths
3.essay
4.verbal reasoning
5.reading comp

pangushi

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »
I applied for MHS and NHS (got into MHS).
There really aren't any shortcuts when it comes to Maths. For numerical thinking, I usually try and visualise what's happening and slowly digest the words as to not misconstrue the intent of the question. I don't really have any tips for the maths one as it's hard to cut corners. I guess my advice would be to take extra care with negative signs.

What I did for maths, knowing I had to spend at least 30 seconds on each question, was that if I couldn't do the question in less than 15 seconds then I just move on to the next and come back.

The reading comprehension was by far the simplest - I had plenty of time to go over my answers confidently.
The hardest was definitely numerical reasoning - I hate deciphering worded problems lol

Oh gosh I actually hate negative signs honestly.

When sitting the test, is there a live timer right in front of you or will there be like people letting you know when there is like 5 minutes left?

pangushi

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 04:16:13 pm »
I’m really good at maths but I’m super bad at English.
Here’s my order for the tests from easiest to hardest(estimate)
1.numerical reasoning
2.maths
3.essay
4.verbal reasoning
5.reading comp

Many people have told me that english is my strength so I am just going to go with that ahhaha.

For me, I think it would be:
1. Reading Comprehension
2. Writing
3. Verbal Reasoning
4. Maths
5. Numerical Reasoning

I feel like I am just gonna flop the test tbh.  :(