Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:51 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469843 times)  Share 

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1695 on: August 23, 2020, 12:06:44 pm »
Hello fellow psych students!
From my understanding of the amended study design, the brain waves and their respective names have been cut out of the new study design. Does this mean that we will not be assessed on when they appear as well as their frequency and amplitude?
- Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #1696 on: August 23, 2020, 01:14:46 pm »
+6
Hey Mary!

Yes, the brain waves have been cut out of the study design. I think it would be a good idea to know a bit about frequency and amplitude, minus the types of brain waves part, as it's a feature of the dot point about measuring physiological responses with EEGs, EOGs and EMGs.

Here's pretty much all you need to know about brain waves:
- Frequency - number of brain waves per second
- Amplitude - size of peaks (higher points) and troughs (lower points)
- High levels of alertness - high frequency, low amplitude
- Low levels of alertness - low frequency, high amplitude

I don't think you'll need to identify brain waves based on a picture of them, but I've attached a picture below to demonstrate the concepts of frequency and amplitude:

All the best! :)

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #1697 on: August 24, 2020, 12:16:02 pm »
+4
Hello.

1. Yeah, the sleep-wake cycle should be pushed backwards, rather than forwards. Due to the delayed release of melatonin, the adolescent would feel more sleepier later, and thus sleep later, and wake up later. This means that the sleep-wake cycle is delayed as their falling asleep and waking up times are shifted later. Basically, with bright light therapy, you would want to expose the individual to light (from the light box) earlier in the day, such as in the early morning, so that they are more likely to feel sleepier earlier. This is because they have been awake for longer (I'm not 100% sure on this point), and so their sleep-wake cycle would be shifted forward (or advanced), making them sleep earlier.

Hello!
I'd like to add on to what Evolio has written about the shifting of the circadian rhythm upon correction by the use of bright light therapy. Since people with an advanced sleep phase disorder are more likely to fall asleep later and wake up later due to the delayed release of melatonin, the presentation of bright light therapy early in the morning helps to 'shift the phase forward' because a rhythm cannot be reversed. If you imagine the circadian rhythm as a day (essentially the sleep-wake cycle), you will know that it goes for about 24 hours. So essentially, their 'day' is moved ahead so the person will fall asleep earlier.

People experiencing delayed sleep phase disorders are more likely to fall asleep earlier and wake up earlier. Now, this may seem contradictory to what I have written above but the use of bright light therapy at night aims to move backwards their circadian rhythm to extend the time they will fall asleep. Their rhythm is 'shifted backwards' so the time they will fall asleep is later, which is making it go 'backwards', rather than moving it ahead, like for those who are falling asleep later and waking up later.

I try to picture it like a clock and you want to wind ahead the time for those who sleep earlier and wake earlier so their day will start later as opposed to starting earlier (slowing the day and moving it backwards). For those who sleep later and wake up later, you wind back the hands of the clock face so when they wake up early, their day will start earlier instead of later (advancing the day). Regardless, you still start at one point and move from there so that's why you can't really go 'backwards' during a day when correcting for an advanced sleep phase disorder.

Please let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense! This is my logic as to approaching the contradictory nature of bright light therapy when used to shift the phase forwards or backwards.
-Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #1698 on: August 24, 2020, 04:36:29 pm »
Hello!
I'd like to add on to what Evolio has written about the shifting of the circadian rhythm upon correction by the use of bright light therapy. Since people with an advanced sleep phase disorder are more likely to fall asleep later and wake up later due to the delayed release of melatonin, the presentation of bright light therapy early in the morning helps to 'shift the phase forward' because a rhythm cannot be reversed. If you imagine the circadian rhythm as a day (essentially the sleep-wake cycle), you will know that it goes for about 24 hours. So essentially, their 'day' is moved ahead so the person will fall asleep earlier.

People experiencing delayed sleep phase disorders are more likely to fall asleep earlier and wake up earlier. Now, this may seem contradictory to what I have written above but the use of bright light therapy at night aims to move backwards their circadian rhythm to extend the time they will fall asleep. Their rhythm is 'shifted backwards' so the time they will fall asleep is later, which is making it go 'backwards', rather than moving it ahead, like for those who are falling asleep later and waking up later.

I try to picture it like a clock and you want to wind ahead the time for those who sleep earlier and wake earlier so their day will start later as opposed to starting earlier (slowing the day and moving it backwards). For those who sleep later and wake up later, you wind back the hands of the clock face so when they wake up early, their day will start earlier instead of later (advancing the day). Regardless, you still start at one point and move from there so that's why you can't really go 'backwards' during a day when correcting for an advanced sleep phase disorder.

Please let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense! This is my logic as to approaching the contradictory nature of bright light therapy when used to shift the phase forwards or backwards.
-Mary
Hi, thank you for your insightful explanation but the point of confusion was why the sleep-wake cycle shift in adolescence is being described as a "shift of the sleep-wake cycle forward"

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #1699 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:07 pm »
I’ve always thought when a placebo is used you don’t tell the participants till debriefing......but before do you tell them THERES one being used and then debriefing is telling them which group they were in? I’m asking because in the mental health section of VCAA exam question the possible answers to “how would researcher satisfy ethical considerations resulting from use of placebo” one of the accepted answers is

Participants prior to giving consent are informed they may be allocation t placebo condition and will not know.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #1700 on: September 01, 2020, 10:21:27 am »
+2
I’ve always thought when a placebo is used you don’t tell the participants till debriefing......but before do you tell them THERES one being used and then debriefing is telling them which group they were in? I’m asking because in the mental health section of VCAA exam question the possible answers to “how would researcher satisfy ethical considerations resulting from use of placebo” one of the accepted answers is

Participants prior to giving consent are informed they may be allocation t placebo condition and will not know.
This is correct - it is ethical research conduct to inform participants that they may be allocated to either a placebo or treatment group - although the participants are not told who receives the placebo. It is in debriefing where researchers would tell participants whether they received a placebo or treatment.

Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1701 on: September 02, 2020, 11:51:01 am »
Is memory bias and catastrophic thinking part of the Biopsychosocial framework? I didn’t think so but I got a question telling me to “refer to the cognitive aspects of the biopsychosocial framework to explain how Elaines phobia is being perpetuated”
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #1702 on: September 02, 2020, 12:12:00 pm »
+1
Is memory bias and catastrophic thinking part of the Biopsychosocial framework? I didn’t think so but I got a question telling me to “refer to the cognitive aspects of the biopsychosocial framework to explain how Elaines phobia is being perpetuated”
Hey.
Yes, they are. Memory bias and catastrophic thinking come under cognitive bias which is the psychological factor contributing to the development of a specific phobia. The cognitive aspects are referring to cognitive bias. So, here you may talk about memory bias and catastrophic thinking.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1703 on: September 02, 2020, 03:34:17 pm »
Hey.
Yes, they are. Memory bias and catastrophic thinking come under cognitive bias which is the psychological factor contributing to the development of a specific phobia. The cognitive aspects are referring to cognitive bias. So, here you may talk about memory bias and catastrophic thinking.

I thought the biopsychosocial framework were just factors which contribute to development mental health not a specific phobia?
My avatar sums up life.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #1704 on: September 02, 2020, 03:46:49 pm »
+4
I thought the biopsychosocial framework were just factors which contribute to development mental health not a specific phobia?
Yeah it does, but we need to know it in relation to specific phobia, which is specifically mentioned in the study design as mentioned below (referencing biological, social and psychological factors):

The relative influences of contributing factors to the development of specific phobia with reference to: gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) dysfunction, the role of stress response and long-term potentiation (biological);
behavioural models involving precipitation by classical conditioning and perpetuation by operant conditioning, cognitive bias including memory bias and catastrophic thinking (psychological)
; specific environmental triggers
and stigma around seeking treatment (social)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:53:13 pm by Evolio »

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1705 on: September 13, 2020, 05:02:42 pm »
hey just wanted to ask in the 2020 study design for psychology if you see any questions relating to the biopsychosocial model for question in mental health do you disregard them , i was having a hard time to distinguish this as you have to know the biopsychosocial model in relation to phobias and as the mental health and phobia chapters are so related together i didn't know that what type of questions to not do.

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1706 on: September 13, 2020, 05:31:20 pm »
+2
Hi amanaazim!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, we don't need to know the biopsychosocial factors with regards to the development and progression of mental health.
We just need to apply the biopsychosocial model to the following dot points:
- relative influences of contributing factors to the development of specific phobia
- Evidence-based interventions for specific phobia
- Resilience as a positive adaptation to adversity including the relative influence of protective factors

Hope this helps :)

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1707 on: September 18, 2020, 11:51:15 pm »
To what extent should we know the role of cortisol (beyond it’s role as a stress hormone in the FFF response and Seylenes model, weakened immunity etc). Is knowing that it stimulates metabolism and maintains glucose levels in the blood enough? Or is there some other definition?
My avatar sums up life.

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1708 on: September 26, 2020, 11:14:19 am »
Is flashbulb memory in the course? Unit 3/4 ive come across it in a NEAP exam and I’ve never heard of it.
My avatar sums up life.

lm21074

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1709 on: September 26, 2020, 08:30:04 pm »
+1
Is flashbulb memory in the course? Unit 3/4 ive come across it in a NEAP exam and I’ve never heard of it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this concept was part of the old study design.

I've just had a look and flashbulb memories are touched on quite briefly in the textbook I have (Jacaranda). They come under the brain regions involved in the storage of long-term memories, specifically under the role of the amygdala, but I haven't seen the concept anywhere besides the textbook, the NEAP exam you're referring to and the 2007 VCAA Exam 2. It is probably worth knowing just in case it pops up on the exam.

Quote from: Jacaranda paraphrased
A flashbulb memory is basically a type of explicit episodic memory - a vivid and highly detailed memory of the circumstances in which someone first learns of a very surprising, significant or emotionally arousing event.

If you have a textbook other than Jacaranda, does it appear in your textbook?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:35:12 pm by lm21074 »