Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:19 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Language Question Thread  (Read 151357 times)  Share 

EulerFan102

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
Re: VCE English Language Question Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2019, 11:24:40 am »
+4
Quick question relating to metalanguage and the scope of the 3/4 study design...
My teacher today discouraged my class from using the term 'diminutive' in our analysis of texts, for the reason of it 'not being on the study design and thus not assessable'
But I'm a bit confused because despite this being one of my favourite metalanguage buzz words to whip out in an AC, I've also seen and heard it used in many places including at the ATARNotes lectures. I could have sworn it was acceptable to use this term, even though it isn't specifically listed on the study design.

Okay, first of all, great question.  ;D ;D
Here's my two-cents-worth:

I used to advice people to learn as much metalanguage as they could, and to try and really push their metalanguage beyond what was listed on the EngLang Study Design.
However, on the VCAA examination report from last year (link here), the EngLang examiners wrote that students should "[l]earn and understand the metalinguistic terms and concepts published in the VCE English Language Study Design (pages 17 and 18)" and "[a]void use of language terms not on the list".
I don't think they've ever mentioned this point before on examiner's report, but they seem to be making quite a strong point. So I agree with your teacher in that regard, and now as a tutor I get students to now focus strictly on metalanguage in the Study Design.

What's difficult about this is how to describe some things (e.g. diminutives) with metalanguage that is in the Study Design. VCAA does mention "suffixation in Australian English" (Study Design, p. 17), but they don't have a word equivalent to 'diminutives', which is a lil painful tbh.

(oh, and also what's slightly annoying about this is when VCAA uses non-Study Design metalanguage. Like they had a question about proper nouns on the exam a few years ago, and a question on verb tense more recently. Proper nouns and tense are both not in the Study Design, and yet they've still cropped up on exams...)

So yeah, VCAA seems to not want to see metalanguage terms that aren't in the Study Design. But it's often difficult to do this when a term isn't in there.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2019, 12:38:25 pm »
+2

I used to advice people to learn as much metalanguage as they could, and to try and really push their metalanguage beyond what was listed on the EngLang Study Design.
However, on the VCAA examination report from last year (link here), the EngLang examiners wrote that students should "[l]earn and understand the metalinguistic terms and concepts published in the VCE English Language Study Design (pages 17 and 18)" and "[a]void use of language terms not on the list".
I don't think they've ever mentioned this point before on examiner's report, but they seem to be making quite a strong point. So I agree with your teacher in that regard, and now as a tutor I get students to now focus strictly on metalanguage in the Study Design.

What's difficult about this is how to describe some things (e.g. diminutives) with metalanguage that is in the Study Design. VCAA does mention "suffixation in Australian English" (Study Design, p. 17), but they don't have a word equivalent to 'diminutives', which is a lil painful tbh.

(oh, and also what's slightly annoying about this is when VCAA uses non-Study Design metalanguage. Like they had a question about proper nouns on the exam a few years ago, and a question on verb tense more recently. Proper nouns and tense are both not in the Study Design, and yet they've still cropped up on exams...)

So yeah, VCAA seems to not want to see metalanguage terms that aren't in the Study Design. But it's often difficult to do this when a term isn't in there.

I didn't know that! Seems kinda weird. Like, I can see why you shouldn't get extra marks or whatever for using different metalanguage, but seems unusual to be actively discouraged. 🤔

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

bacteriophage

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2019, 04:34:55 pm »
+2

thanks for this clarification, very helpful!
2018 : Biology [44]
2019 : English Language; Chemistry; Maths Methods; Indonesian SL

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
+1
Hi uh this is my first question & I don’t really know how this works so please bear with me 🙏

Regarding ACs, my teacher taught us how to construct them using the subsystem method but after I went to an ATAR notes lecture in July, I learnt that the subsystem method is not ideal, and it’s better to use the other method (I think it’s called the ‘big ideas’ method or something?). Anyway, I tried to use this new method in a recent AC and I scored fairly well (for me at least) except the cross-marker said that my structure was a bit of a mess. Can I get some advice on how to structure an AC using the ‘big ideas’ method? And how do I integrate coherence and cohesion to it?

Thank youuuu
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:52:30 pm by 73627 »

bacteriophage

• Adventurer
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2019, 08:09:56 pm »
Hi all,
HELP!
I have an analytical commentary SAC tomorrow on U4AOS1, specifically Australian Identity.
In a previous AC I used the structure of writing one paragraph on register, one on social purpose and one on coherence / cohesion (written) or prosody / discourse features (spoken) and I did quite well on that.
But today one of my school's elang teachers advised her class NOT to use that structure for this AC for the reason that 'students need to be discussing register and social purpose throughout the AC and not just in one paragraph, and ideally for each example'.
The structure this teacher advised her students to use was one in which they open with a strong example from early in the text grouped with similar examples, then a paragraph on a specific feature and related examples, and a third on a broad feature, such as identity.
Now I'm really not sure how to structure because I was originally very confident in the register, social purpose, coherence/cohesion approach but am alarmed to hear this teacher discouraging this for the Aus identity SAC...
Does anyone have some thoughts?
thanks

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2019, 05:27:49 pm »
+4
Hey @bacteriophage!

I'm really sorry that I didn't get to this question in time before your SAC! I hope that it went well though! I thought that I would still answer this question because it will still be relevant for the EOY Exam.

I'm 100% on your side. I used a very similar structure for all of my ACs throughout Year 12, and I thought that it allowed a great depth of discussion, allowed me to show off as much metalanguage relevant for U3 (and a bit from U4) as possible, as well as being a pretty standard formula that was applicable for any AC. My advice at the end of the day is to stick to your guns. You say that you are confident in this structure, and I think that whichever structure you are most comfortable and confident in is the one that you should use for the EOY exam.

Further, the other teacher's suggestion sounds a bit whack... it sounds a bit incoherent in terms of providing examples from all over the text, as well as being a bit too specific on certain parts of the text and not really viewing the text as a whole. Maybe just take a quick reflection/ look over the feedback for this SAC, and then change your work accordingly for the next SAC. However, for the EOY exam, I would recommend your previous structure, because it's actually a really strong format!

Good luck with the rest of Eng Lang and I really hope that you are enjoying the subject!

bacteriophage

• Adventurer
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2019, 10:01:45 am »
+1
Hey @bacteriophage!

I'm really sorry that I didn't get to this question in time before your SAC! I hope that it went well though! I thought that I would still answer this question because it will still be relevant for the EOY Exam.

I'm 100% on your side. I used a very similar structure for all of my ACs throughout Year 12, and I thought that it allowed a great depth of discussion, allowed me to show off as much metalanguage relevant for U3 (and a bit from U4) as possible, as well as being a pretty standard formula that was applicable for any AC. My advice at the end of the day is to stick to your guns. You say that you are confident in this structure, and I think that whichever structure you are most comfortable and confident in is the one that you should use for the EOY exam.

Further, the other teacher's suggestion sounds a bit whack... it sounds a bit incoherent in terms of providing examples from all over the text, as well as being a bit too specific on certain parts of the text and not really viewing the text as a whole. Maybe just take a quick reflection/ look over the feedback for this SAC, and then change your work accordingly for the next SAC. However, for the EOY exam, I would recommend your previous structure, because it's actually a really strong format!

Good luck with the rest of Eng Lang and I really hope that you are enjoying the subject!

Thankyou so much for this @anna.comet
a massive help indeed
for my SAC I ended up using my usual structure, the 'big ideas' approach, and I'm happy enough with what I produced. I spoke to my classroom teacher about it and he said essentially exactly what you said, so I was relatively reassured to hear that again.
Thanks again for the help

grace b

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2019, 12:53:13 pm »
Hi can someone please help with Section C!! My sac for Unit 4 AoS1 is an essay on Australian Identity, more specifically the varieties of Australian English and the attitudes towards them. Can someone help and explain basically AoS1 in a nutshell or at least a little about what my teacher wants me to write about i am so confused in class. Thank you!!

anna.comet

• Adventurer
« Reply #248 on: August 13, 2019, 06:52:42 pm »
+5
Hi Grace! Welcome to AtarNotes :~)

U4 AOS1 is essentially about Australian English, from its conception in the late 1700s, until the present day. The number one authority on what will be tested in this AOS is VCAA (see the study design, page 24-25: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/englishlanguage/EnglishLanguageSD_2016_Annotated.pdf), and essentially VCAA breaks down that you want to discuss:

- Australian identity (the whole range of identities of the different people that call themselves 'Australian')
- The Australian accent (broad, general and cultivated)
- Regional variation (mostly in a lexical sense)
- Aboriginal Englishes and Ethnolects
- Why language is important in sculpting our national identity

When you teacher asks about 'attitudes', this is essentially asking for a discussion about what is considered 'standard' and what is considered 'non-standard', and what sort of prestige is assigned to either of these.

I would really recommend discussing at least ethnolects and Aboriginal Englishes, but a paragraph on what is considered the 'stereotypical Australian identity' would also be really interesting, i.e. is the 'laid-back, larrikin, blond beach bum' still a realistic idea of what an Australian is? Does our language reflect a changing Australian identity? Compare the AusE of the past with the AusE of the present, and of the future. That's essentially the aim of writing an essay for this AOS.

Good luck for your essay! Feel free to reply back if you have any more questions :~)

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2019, 03:08:30 pm »
you English peeps, ik this is VCE and I am a year 10 but I figured you guys would be more able to help as you have studied this novel/text and have more experience. I am writing an essay for TWELVE ANGRY MEN, and need help with the topic sentence.

my topic question Is "how does twelve angry men suggest that prejudice and self-interest are the key enemies of justice?"

I have a few ideas but my plan is more empty then it is full I need help please.

For my body paragraphs I have chosen

1 Prejudice
2 Self Interest
3 Juror 8 (and how the author uses this character to symbolise the importance of justice)

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2019, 04:42:47 pm »
+1
^ Have you written anything already? It might be more helpful if you could have a crack at it yourself first and we can give you suggestions on how to improve or what else to add. :)

Btw I think this goes more under VCE English than English Language.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

kimokeeffe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2019, 05:21:41 pm »
hey guys! currently in the process of doing my subject selections for next year, just wanted to know a little bit more about the english language course, and what you guys think of it :)

anna.comet

• Adventurer
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2019, 05:28:36 pm »
+3
Hey there! I always found the subject selection process soooo fun and sooo exciting! It's excellent to see that you are taking the opportunity to ask others about their experiences, and getting outside opinions! Your course will be tailored to your learning style and interests more that way! Go you!  ;D ;D

Year 11 English Language and Year 12 English Language are wildly different. However, both are super interesting and provide good historical and contextual information regarding how we stumbled upon the English(es) of 2019!

The Year 11 Course is roughly as follows...

Unit 1: Basic linguistics terminology, how to describe the language that we see and hear everyday! Unit 1 sets you up very nicely for Year 12 English Language, so I would really recommend paying attention for the first couple of months in Year 11! After this, you learn about Child Language Acquisition, and the various theories about how humans learn to communicate.

Unit 2: We learn about the development of English across time, which ye olde languages influenced English, as well as reading through and analysing texts from as long ago as 500 ACE! It's so fun to see what English used to look like, and how we progressed to Modern English today! Then, we finish with looking at International Englishes, such as our English speaking friends in Jamaica, Singapore, South Africa, and more! We talk about accents, different words that people use, and how all of these variations came to exist!

From speaking with other past and current Lang students, generally Year 11 SACs are assessed through short answer questions, as well as perhaps one or two essays throughout the year. As far as English subjects go, pretty low effort in regards to SAC prep and answering SAC questions effectively. So I'm sure you would smash it!

Then on to Year 12 (which I found so so interesting and exciting! If you think the year 11 course sounded glamorous, just you wait)...

Unit 3: Unit 3 is all about informality and formality. Why do we speak more informally to some people, but more formally to others? How does our degree of formality affect other people? We get to read texts from all over Australia, from Facebook pages to podcasts, newspaper clippings to conversations between friends. All of it is relevant and all of it is exciting!

Unit 4: Unit 4 is all about Australian English and our cultural identity. We debate about the Australian accent, Australia's history, as well as look to the future of our national identity. Then, we talk about personal identity, and ask questions like: How does language reflect who I am? How does the language I use reflect my interests, friends, family, cultural background, my gender, etc.? If you like any humanities subjects or Psychology, Eng Lang would work for you perfectly (- with that being said, of course you don't have to do those subjects to still enjoy and do well in Eng Lang)!

I think that Eng Lang is the most practical English subject to do in VCE - I graduated 10 months ago and I still implement my skills from English Language on an everyday basis! Further, it is so interesting hearing other people's ideas and uses of language. You learn so much about Australia as an English speaking country, and I think that it really opens your eyes to why language is so so important to our society. I learnt that language can genuinely influence our values and morals, and I think that something that carries that much weight deserves a whole subject dedicated to it!

I hope that that has convinced you to give Eng Lang a shot! Eng Lang was definitely one of my favourite subjects and I want everyone else to enjoy it too!

Good luck with subject selection and I hope that this has helped!  8) :o 8)

cap78

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2019, 09:36:43 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm wondering what exam scores are needed to get a 43, 45 and/or 47 study score in English Language on the final exam.

leonm19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2019, 10:21:09 pm »
Following on from what cap78 said, I was also wondering what is the best way to study for the Eng Lang exam, and how many quotes and contemporary examples should we aim to remember?