Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:53 pm

Author Topic: Gather round, those who love Pride and Prejudice!  (Read 2017 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Gather round, those who love Pride and Prejudice!
« on: June 04, 2020, 10:12:50 am »
+4
We did the creative SAC on Pride and Prejudice (I literally got back feedback that said my knowledge of the text was 'formidable'...), and sometime I want to start studying for the exam (no way am I doing Old/New World, our other text for that section!), so I thought if I could find other like-minded people it would help. Definitely best text they could put on.
Anyone else complete fan-people (is that even a word?) of P&P? Favourite quote? Favourite film adaption?
Essay questions to practice on, anyone?
Have I got my love of this brilliantly written text across yet?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: Gather round, those who love Pride and Prejudice!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
+3
Hi, the Cat In The Hat!

While I'm not a VCE student, Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books at the moment. I'm still reading it so my perspective of the novel may not be complete but as a literature-geek, I usually love the novel a lot more than any film adaptations. Since I'm still reading the novel, I'm planning to watch the film adaptations after rather than before I finish as I would like to gain a perspective on both perspectives, rather than just one jumble of both (if that makes sense).

Personally, my favourite quotes from Pride & Prejudice would have to be: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" and "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

I love how Austen constructs the concept of "love" to be an intangible mess rather than a "linear" and "fairytale-like" phenomenon of love at first sight. For me, love is all about "quality" rather than "quantity" — rather than falling head over heels for a guy that Elizabeth a) just met and b) seems to be the "attractive" suitor that the Georgian audience would want her to marry, Elizabeth asserts her "pride" and makes a misjudgement on Darcy, as a character.

While I don't necessarily support the idea of misjudging people based on their appearance or personal beliefs, I'm actually glad that Austen constructed her narrative for both of the characters to explore whether their love is mutual and the "intimacy" that grows between them throughout the narrative. Throughout Austen's novels, her construction of the concept of "love" enables the themes of independence and agency to be foregrounded throughout Pride & Prejudice. Yes, both of the title characters make assumptions about each other in terms of their class, wealth and appearance but in the end, it is ultimately the escapism of the social hierarchies and Georgian attitudes that enable their love for each to "flourish" throughout the novel.

Furthermore, Austen establishes the idea that the "heart" of love does not always necessarily connote to the often cliché attitudes and assumptions of marriage and intimacy. Rather, Austen implies that love is a force separate from society and one that can conquer even the most difficult of circumstances. In terms of the quotations of Pride and Prejudice, I love the quotes mentioned above because as of today, I rarely see the "characterisation" of relationships in novels (especially in Teen/Young Adult fiction), as they always jump on the "bandwagon" of love at first sight and live a happily ever after. Seeing these assumptions and attitudes reversed in proto-feminist texts really makes me squeal as I'm in love with the idea of how those "small" gestures of a smile, quick glances and a "helping hand" are transformed into something bigger than the clichés that usually dictate fiction.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind a cliché or a stereotype every once in a while, but it's just when the clichés and stereotypes dictate the supposed "purpose" of the novel, rather than the construction of themes/concepts/ideas, the significance of the construction/deconstruction of the cultural attitudes and assumptions, as well as the events of the narrative itself.

Hopefully, this helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:24:51 pm »
+2
Hey there,

Jane Austen fan here! Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite novels, along with Persuasion. Just like s110820, my favourite quote is "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." Such an iconic line. The great thing about Jane Austen heroines is that she portrays females as flawed and strong characters. These days, society's definition of a "strong woman" tends to follow traditionally masculine stereotypes (physically strong, aggressive but somehow still attractive - otherwise known as the "cool girl" trope). But Austen shows that women can also be strong in an intelligent manner despite society showing a dislike towards witty women.

I'd say the best adaption one is the BBC TV series (the one with Colin Firth in it). Not only is Colin Firth BORN to play Mr Darcy, they also add extra scenes to enhance his character. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Keira Knightley version mainly because they did so many things wrong - portraying the Bennetts as farmers (during the Regency period, you either own land, be in the clergy or be in the military) and there is a lack of depth in the characters unlike the TV show. BBC tends to make awesome adaptations of classic literature.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:31:03 pm »
+1
My favourite quote is probably '...what do I not owe to you, dearest, sweetest Elizabeth!' (slightly worrying when I can run through that entire conversation from the book verbatim in my head...)

Funny how feminists seem to like turning women into men to become 'strong women'. The way she does it is very good.

I'd say the best adaption one is the BBC TV series (the one with Colin Firth in it). Not only is Colin Firth BORN to play Mr Darcy, they also add extra scenes to enhance his character. I'm personally not a huge fan of the Keira Knightley version mainly because they did so many things wrong - portraying the Bennetts as farmers (during the Regency period, you either own land, be in the clergy or be in the military) and there is a lack of depth in the characters unlike the TV show. BBC tends to make awesome adaptations of classic literature.
*whoops with delight* I AM NOT ALONE. Though admittedly I don't quite get all the stuff over the lake scene. I mean I get how funny it is when they're trying to have a civilised conversation and he's soaked but... really? I don't understand the whole hype about it. Jennifer Ehle does a pretty good job too. Although he doesn't smile as much as in the book. And he smiles too much at the end when he's barely done any smiling at the rest. And I miss the great conversations after they got engaged. And Mrs Bennet is awful. And Lydia, ugh. And Collins, puke. And. And. I've watched that probably 20+ times the whole thing through. I could keep talking about it for ages. (Can you tell I'm obsessed?)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.