Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:34:21 am

Author Topic: Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval  (Read 3709 times)  Share 

jjsu

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
Hiya :)

It's my first time posting here!

First of all, the three prescribed texts that we've covered are Metropolis, Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot. I've got one related already down-packed (Children of Men), and I'm just looking for one more...

Secondly, I have two quick questions:

1) Is it possible to use prescribed texts from Advanced as a related text in Extension? (our teacher never covered this)

2) If so, would it be a good idea to use 'Nick and the Candlestick' as a related? (I would be relating it to Waiting for Godot)

However, if it's not possible - would anyone have any other suggestions for me?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Related Texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:26:02 pm »
+1
Hiya :)

It's my first time posting here!

First of all, the three prescribed texts that we've covered are Metropolis, Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot. I've got one related already down-packed (Children of Men), and I'm just looking for one more...

Secondly, I have two quick questions:

1) Is it possible to use prescribed texts from Advanced as a related text in Extension? (our teacher never covered this)

2) If so, would it be a good idea to use 'Nick and the Candlestick' as a related? (I would be relating it to Waiting for Godot)

However, if it's not possible - would anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Hey, jjsu!

Welcome to the forums  :) Lovely to have you here!

It is possible to use prescribed texts from Advanced but it is highly discouraged largely due to the point of related texts being that you source other pieces of literature to enhance your learning and relate it to what you have studied in class. While Nick and the Candlestick would draw some amazing parallels with Waiting for Godot, it limits you from providing your own supplementary material and bringing more personalised subject matter into your extended response. I did study Godot myself and both my related texts, Masahiro Shinoda's Pale Flower (film) and Kathy Acker's Don Quixote (novel) worked beautifully for Marxist, poststructuralist and feminist critical analysis. I would highly recommend using them as they also align well with the Worlds of Upheaval elective!

I also suggested a few other texts in this thread here for you to have a look at! Hope this helps and do let me know what you end up choosing  8)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music