Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:20:42 am

Author Topic: High study score average exam marks?  (Read 7838 times)

not.yet.a.nerd

• Trendsetter
  • hello!
High study score average exam marks?
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:38:48 am »
I know this is a late post, probably irrelevant at this moment. To give some context I am currently in yr 12 but completed a 3/4 subject last year. Throughout the year I'd been putting a lot of effort into my studying, and getting decent sac marks, around 90% (which I was pretty happy with in a strong cohort) and I ended up with a study score of 50. So I was pretty surprised. I paid to get my exam marks back from vcaa to be hit with a shock: I'd lost 21 marks (out of a 120 mark exam). That's around 83%, worse than most of my practice exam marks. Anyway, I now feel as though I don't deserve such a score? People say how 50 students know their stuff backwards but with losing 21 marks, how could this possibility equal a study score of 50? Does anyone have a similar experience?

[post 2018 exams edit]
I thought I should edit this post in case anyone else is reading it. It turns out it was a misunderstanding and I actually interpreted the results wrong, but I only realised this recently when I looked over my exam scores from last year. It was 21 marks lost out of the 240, not 120, as the exam is double marked. In other words one assessor took ten marks off and the other took eleven marks, for a grand total of 219/240 ~ 91%
So for this particular year, a 50 in bio was equal to dropping 10-11 marks. Hope this clears up any confusion  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:21:00 pm by not.yet.a.nerd »

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
Re: High study score average exam marks?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:16:26 am »
Don't discredit your hard work. Study scores are a ranking, not a percentage or score (despite its misleading name). A 50 means that you scored in the top ~0.2% of the state. Well done :)

You can find what % get some other common study scores here (under 'What is a study score?')
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:18:20 am by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
Re: High study score average exam marks?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:32:05 am »
I know this is a late post, probably irrelevant at this moment. To give some context I am currently in yr 12 but completed a 3/4 subject last year. Throughout the year I'd been putting a lot of effort into my studying, and getting decent sac marks, around 90% (which I was pretty happy with in a strong cohort) and I ended up with a study score of 50. So I was pretty surprised. I paid to get my exam marks back from vcaa to be hit with a shock: I'd lost 21 marks (out of a 120 mark exam). That's around 83%, worse than most of my practice exam marks. Anyway, I now feel as though I don't deserve such a score? People say how 50 students know their stuff backwards but with losing 21 marks, how could this possibility equal a study score of 50? Does anyone have a similar experience?

This likely indicates that the exam was very difficult to score highly on.  VCAA doesn't care what percentage you got - only the percentages of people scoring higher and lower than you.
You worked hard and VCAA assigned that number in recognition of how well you did compared to others.

Remember that you earnt your result & try not to worry about it