Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:43:18 am

Author Topic: Query about engineering jobs  (Read 7291 times)  Share 

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
Query about engineering jobs
« on: December 14, 2019, 01:07:13 am »
Hey all  :)

First off, apologies if this question is dumb - I'm very indecisive and don't know whether to pick engineering or commerce to do alongside biomedicine at Monash

I've heard that after completing an engineering degree you can still land 'office'/'commerce-y' jobs (at companies such as Deloitte ?) Is this true?

I have a very narrow perspective on the job opportunities after completing an engineering degree, and was hoping that someone would be able to give examples of jobs other than a general engineer job (this question sounds very dumb because you'd probably do engineering to become an engineer, but I'm just curious because I need to lock in my first round offers veryyy soon ://)

thank you!!

2019 vce journal here

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Query about engineering jobs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:57:46 am »
Hey,

I'm hardly an expert in engineering, but from what I have heard consulting is a common career path after studying engineering.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
An engineering degree has no relevance to getting a job at an audit consulting firm. In an engineering degree you will really learn nothing of the sort.

Consulting is a pathway after engineering but not this kind of consulting. This has nothing to do with engineering.

So if you really want to work at something like Deloitte just do Commerce =)

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 11:10:48 am »
Hey,

I'm hardly an expert in engineering, but from what I have heard consulting is a common career path after studying engineering.
An engineering degree has no relevance to getting a job at an audit consulting firm. In an engineering degree you will really learn nothing of the sort.

Consulting is a pathway after engineering but not this kind of consulting. This has nothing to do with engineering.

Thanks very much for the advice :) It's just that I didn't do any commerce subjects in VCE and when I did commerce in year 10 I hated it, so I'm not sure if I'd like it in uni :/

Also, is it possible to get an internship/job at Google with an engineering degree that is not software engineering? (chemical, civil, electrical & computer systems, materials or mechanical)

2019 vce journal here

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
+1
Thanks very much for the advice :) It's just that I didn't do any commerce subjects in VCE and when I did commerce in year 10 I hated it, so I'm not sure if I'd like it in uni :/

Also, is it possible to get an internship/job at Google with an engineering degree that is not software engineering? (chemical, civil, electrical & computer systems, materials or mechanical)

It seems unlikely it would be impossible to get a job at Google with one of the aforementioned degrees but rather than focusing on one organisation which you may or may not end up being suited to (even if you picked the "perfect degree" for it) I would ask yourself why it is that you're interested in this and how you can use that for broader career planning.

I'm not sure I understand your thought process or what it is you're looking to get out of your degree which makes giving advice difficult. Would you be able to explain this a bit more?

Edit:

I agree that Deloitte wouldn't be a common destination for engineers but afaik office jobs more broadly - yes. I do also know that firms like Deloitte have in the past and continue to hire science & engineering graduates. I can't speak to the statistics on how frequent it is but strong analytical skills are useful for these firms and graduates from non-traditional backgrounds may be especially useful if the firm in question works with many STEM clients. I do agree that if someone knows they want to work in management consulting it would make more sense for them to pick a pathway that more directly aligns with it (which doesn't necessarily have to be commerce).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:36:40 am by Bri MT »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 11:31:36 am »
+1
Google is involved with many different projects and what not. Their forefront would obviously be something like Software Engineering or Computer Science but they do have projects such as Self driving cars and what not that you may be able to become a part of through the other Engineering degrees.

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:42:12 pm »
Thank you DrDusk and Bri MT for the advice :) I think I'm just attracted to the work culture at Google, but I'll just see where my future leads me for now haha

2019 vce journal here