Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:36:17 pm

Author Topic: How to answer 8 mark questions?  (Read 1487 times)  Share 

nicolalica

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
How to answer 8 mark questions?
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:37:44 pm »
Hello, I'm currently doing unit 2 legal and I'm a bit confused with the 8 mark questions.
My teacher sets us "course requirement tasks" which determine if we get an S or an N for the unit.
Our task is to write a response to the statement "can juries be impartial in high-profile criminal cases?" in reference to the George Pell case or Amanda Knox case. My teacher said to think of it as an 8 mark question on an exam.
Kinda lost on how to structure my response so if anyone can give me some pointers that would be swell!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: How to answer 8 mark questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:01:04 am »
Hello, I'm currently doing unit 2 legal and I'm a bit confused with the 8 mark questions.
My teacher sets us "course requirement tasks" which determine if we get an S or an N for the unit.
Our task is to write a response to the statement "can juries be impartial in high-profile criminal cases?" in reference to the George Pell case or Amanda Knox case. My teacher said to think of it as an 8 mark question on an exam.
Kinda lost on how to structure my response so if anyone can give me some pointers that would be swell!

There is no set structure, because you have to respond to the wording of the exact question. With any kind of 'evaluate' or 'to what extent' question, though, just start with a clear one-sentence opinion. Then jump into the topics you want to talk about: introduce the topic, then discuss the arguments relating to it. Move onto the next topic.

You can leave a 'paragraph' break between topics if you like.

With length, an 8-mark should be reaching the second page of writing - you have around 15 minutes for it on the exam, though, so keep that in mind.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!