Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 02:21:19 pm

Author Topic: Difficulty of acheiving 45 study score  (Read 1770 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Difficulty of acheiving 45 study score
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:56:33 am »
I go to an underrepresented rural school that has a median study score of 27.
I am hoping to achieve a study score of 45 in HHD, Further, Psych, and Legal...how hard is it really?

— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Difficulty of acheiving 45 study score
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:04:29 am »
+6
I am hoping to achieve a study score of 45 in HHD, Further, Psych, and Legal...how hard is it really?

Your school’s median study score is ok, but if you want to achieve a 45 you’ll need to be thinking about comparing your achievement against an internal standard of success, rather than against your class. It sounds like you’d have to be much, much stronger than your fellow classmates to achieve a 45.

Achieving a score that high is very challenging, but if you’re effectively an expert in the subject you’re hoping to achieve it in, it’s very doable.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:02 am »
+3
For anyone to get a 45 is a huge achievement - it puts the student in the top 2% of a subject.

Unfortunately, the school does play a factor as to how easy/hard it would be for a student to get a 45 given the types of teachers/resources etc that schools have. However, it is still definitely possible to do this well everywhere. I can't really say exactly how hard it is since it will depend on the student.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:23:18 pm »
+4
The year before I got my first 45+ (doing bio as a head start subject) my school's median study score was 24 and the year I graduated the median study score was 28. My experience was that I worked really hard both years on all of my subjects and that performance relative to my peers was not a good predictor of what subjects I had the highest scores in. In fact, psych and methods were my two subjects where I didn't score the highest on multiple SACs and yet psych was my highest score in year 12.

In short, I don't think you can usefully predict how hard it is to get 45+ on the basis of school median score aside from the obvious that students in higher-performing schools usually get higher scores and tend to have access to more resources.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:02:56 pm »
+5
Short Answer: Hard.

Long Answer (that is required, giving context): If you're rank one, your school cohort doesn't matter nearly as much as your exam performance pretty much dictates your score. At a lower ranked school, there's less room for error in SACs, but still entirely possible to get an elusive 45+. Key take away; nail those SACs!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:08:15 am »
+3
Thank you everyone for your replies! It definitely helped me! Key takeaway: try your hardest to ace everything
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP