Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:35:01 am

Author Topic: VCAA 2006 - Memory SA  (Read 772 times)  Share 

xoxogossipgirl

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
VCAA 2006 - Memory SA
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:45:31 pm »
For memory q 1b, can someone tell me if they think my answer was good enough? I'm thinking it was almost definitely too vague and should've been more connected to the example. But it was sort of confusing in this case where they don't completely give you what to talk about if that makes sense
Q1 a) was: Karlee's friend tells her the name and address of a great new music store. Karlee does not have a pen or paper to write down the information.... etc etc etc, rest is irrelevant to part b

b) Name a mnemonic technique Karlee could use to increase her chances of being able to remember the name and address of the music store in a week's time. Explain how Karlee would apply this technique to the information.

I put: narrative chaining - using the name and address of the music store in a story, whereby the information is meaningfully linked with elements of the story.

The answer on the examiner's report:
narrative chaining: Karlee takes the name and address of the music store (Marley’s Music, 49 Butler Avenue,
Melbourne) and creates a story out of the words; for example, ‘Bob Marley makes great music, although he is
on his 49th Melbourne butler’

so even if they don't give you all the bits of the example to include, you sort of have to make it up?
hope this makes sense  :-\

yien_quek

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCAA 2006 - Memory SA
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:58 pm »
I would definitely award your answer 1 mark, for telling me the mnemonic technique was narrative chaining. The 2nd mark would go to the example, which you did not provide. Examples have to be very specific. So yeah, you're right, you were a bit too vague, and I get where you're coming from, trying to link the explanation of narrative chaining to the given scenario, which is good, but you still have to provide an example.

Yes, you would most definitely have to make up the example, as you would with other questions as well. If the question was: "Define state-dependent cues and provide an example" [2], you would be given a mark for stating what state-dependent cues are, and for giving an example, which you would have to make up. So you should not treat this question differently in that sense. Unless they give you specific facts, i.e. the address of the music store, then you should make up your own address to help with your example.

xoxogossipgirl

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
I would definitely award your answer 1 mark, for telling me the mnemonic technique was narrative chaining. The 2nd mark would go to the example, which you did not provide. Examples have to be very specific. So yeah, you're right, you were a bit too vague, and I get where you're coming from, trying to link the explanation of narrative chaining to the given scenario, which is good, but you still have to provide an example.

Yes, you would most definitely have to make up the example, as you would with other questions as well. If the question was: "Define state-dependent cues and provide an example" [2], you would be given a mark for stating what state-dependent cues are, and for giving an example, which you would have to make up. So you should not treat this question differently in that sense. Unless they give you specific facts, i.e. the address of the music store, then you should make up your own address to help with your example.
Yeah I thought so. In every prac exam the marks I lose tend to be for being too vague, yet I still keep doing it. Damn psych!
Thank you for your thorough response :)

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »
I like to write the definition first, then provide a relevant example.
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain