Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:47:11 pm

Author Topic: Positive psychological effects of a catastrophe?  (Read 829 times)  Share 

xdmemeguy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Positive psychological effects of a catastrophe?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:32 pm »
As the title says, what is a better way to explain positive psychological effects of a catastrophe? Like all I can think if is a strengthened social bond between those affected because they use teamwork to rebound from the effects. Anything else?

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: Positive psychological effects of a catastrophe?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:16:31 pm »
As the title says, what is a better way to explain positive psychological effects of a catastrophe? Like all I can think if is a strengthened social bond between those affected because they use teamwork to rebound from the effects. Anything else?

That's probably the main point that they're after. I would also add that it could improve resilience once the catastrophe's effects are dealt with. You might also be able to talk about how it helps them to become more appreciative of anything that happens in the future.

It's a bit of a difficult question to get since catastrophes are pretty negative and nothing much that is good comes out :|. Can i ask where the question came from?
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »
This is a bit vague of a question, as I haven't seen what the context of the question is, but experiencing a catastrophe allows people to focus on connecting, helping and loving their fellow being, appreciate the life and everything they own more and be more content with just existing rather than being caught up in trivialities. Sometimes experiencing disaster and trauma is a harsh but ultimately good way to psychologically re-align one's self to what truly matters.

My answer is probably a lot more philosophical than it needs to be, but that's really all I can think of.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:46:26 pm »

it can positively impact self-efficacy due to having overcome challenge and adversity as well as potentially increasing affected persons' knowledge of support services (due to community outreach). Both of these things would positively impact ability to cope with stress and resilience.