Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

Monash Law vs Melbourne Law

(1/6) > >>

tamma1:
Hi everyone,

I am torn between two options of studying law and need to make up my mind as VTAC applications are due soon...

I don't know if I should do Monash law or Melbourne Law. At Monash, I am hoping to do a double degree in Commerce/Law, hopefully I get the 98 atar required for it.

My other option, through Melbourne, would be to do a Bachelor of Commerce first for 3 years as undergraduate study and then do the Melbourne Juris Doctor (JD). However, the JD is very hard to get into. There is guaranteed entry offered for 99.9+ students - I am not at this level. However, there is also guaranteed entry available if you get 99+ atar and you maintain a 75% weighted average in your undergraduate course. With this atar and weighted average you do not have to sit the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). But this would not be a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), but rather a full domestic fee place. The JD costs 120,000 dollars!

Travelling to the Unis won't be too much of an issue. Monash will be a 25 min drive and Melbourne will be a 50 min train ride and then 10 min on tram or 15-20 min walk.

Also I consider myself as a social person and was wondering which uni offers the best social life/opportunities, as I also want to enjoy the place I study at...

So I would really appreciate if people could give me some advice as to which option I should take? Would be great!  :) Thank you in advance.

Calebark:
Hi - I'm still a VCE student, so note this is mere opinion.

Given the saturation of law graduates in the field of law, jobs in law are not only hard to come by, but are suffering a deflation of wages. Given this, and the backlog of law graduates that'll occur, I'd personally go to Monash, given how substantially cheaper it is, and given that it's slightly shorter, there'll be slightly fewer law graduates to compete with.

Keep in mind that if you don't happen to achieve an ATAR of 98 for Monash Law, you may still be eligible for this alternate pathway. Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Jakeybaby:
I wouldn't agree with the "lack of law jobs", it may seem this way, but I recently was talking to the Dean of Law @ Adelaide Uni and she completely dismissed it. Melbourne's JD is extremely difficult to get into, but if you can, I'd recommend it (as long as you can afford it).

HasibA:
wouldn't say this is a 'lack of jobs'- its just that there's more law graduates so high-tier law firms are hard to get into. Melb JD is extremely valuable if you want to be a lawyer- law revolves a lot on prestige and nepotism etc. and a lot of high-tier firms (unfortunately) look at prestige in evaluating a job position.
this being said, Monash's Law degree is probably just as prestigious, so IMO if you get the score you need, i'd reckon go for Monash, as you don't have that uncertainty into getting into another post grad degree (JD) and dont have to pay a full fee, if you get the degree at as a CSP. :)
just my 2cents

dankfrank420:

--- Quote from: Jakeybaby on September 25, 2016, 10:23:22 pm ---I wouldn't agree with the "lack of law jobs", it may seem this way, but I recently was talking to the Dean of Law @ Adelaide Uni and she completely dismissed it. Melbourne's JD is extremely difficult to get into, but if you can, I'd recommend it (as long as you can afford it).

--- End quote ---

Not like she would have a vested interest in students studying law, would she now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version