Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:29:48 pm

Author Topic: A whole new world - fb3's uni journal  (Read 28573 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: A whole new world - fb3's uni journal
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »
+4
Thank you!! Yep, I have selected my subjects - I just followed the handbook :-)

I don't really know what drew me to German tbh, I studied Germany as a topic for Modern History last year but it wasn't my favourite topic?? I've always been interested in learning languages though, and when I was bothered with duolingo I did German and it seemed like a pretty cool language... I don't know why I'm interested in learning German 😂

As for the overseas placement, I originally wanted to go to Austria because *aesthetic* but the exchange unis for my course weren't in the capital city, and then my mum was like "If you're learning German you may as well go to the country the language originated from" so that helped with the decision making. Is there any country that interests you, or you haven't been to? Or even cities? Try looking in the exchange section of your uni's website and maybe choose some you would like to do an exchange :-) I found that really hyped up the whole thing and helped me decide too. I hope this helps!

I studied Dutch on duolingo for a while so the Netherlands would make sense.  My nanna was born there and I know I've got relatives but I've never interacted with them and don't feel a strong connection to the country. 

I've been offered chances to go overseas before due to school and scouts but never took them as passports require both parents' approval.

I know I'm least interested in the US and the UK (I want a bit more cultural change than that) but Monash just has enough partner universities that looking at the list was a bit overwhelming. That gives me an idea though - maybe I should print it out and annotate it.

Thankyou for your advice!  :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 07:27:53 pm »
+1
I studied Dutch on duolingo for a while so the Netherlands would make sense.  My nanna was born there and I know I've got relatives but I've never interacted with them and don't feel a strong connection to the country. 

I've been offered chances to go overseas before due to school and scouts but never took them as passports require both parents' approval.

I know I'm least interested in the US and the UK (I want a bit more cultural change than that) but Monash just has enough partner universities that looking at the list was a bit overwhelming. That gives me an idea though - maybe I should print it out and annotate it.

Thankyou for your advice!  :)

No worries :-) Go with your instincts for where you want to go. Just curious, have you been overseas before?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »
+1
I did German and it seemed like a pretty cool language... I don't know why I'm interested in learning German 😂

Yes!!! I studied German for two days and I thought that the language was complicated yet very interesting.

Where in Germany do you plan on going to for your exchange? Do you have to go to the capital city? I've been to both Bonn and Cologne and it's so beautiful. Can't wait for your updates in Germany ;)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 08:19:45 pm »
+3
No worries :-) Go with your instincts for where you want to go. Just curious, have you been overseas before?

No

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:50 pm »
+3
Yes!!! I studied German for two days and I thought that the language was complicated yet very interesting.

Where in Germany do you plan on going to for your exchange? Do you have to go to the capital city? I've been to both Bonn and Cologne and it's so beautiful. Can't wait for your updates in Germany ;)

Hahaha yay!! I don't know, I'm hoping Berlin because #history, but going to the capital city depends on which uni you choose to exchange to – if it's in the capital then you go there I guess ahaha. Germany is so beautiful (judging from pictures) so I'm super excited!! Yeeeesss get keen for the updates, only 2 more years to go 😅

No

Ahhh rightio! You'll have the best time overseas :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 09:06:45 pm »
+13
19/02/2018

Hello, hello!

Today was the beginning of O-Week, and I had so much fun. I began my day by missing the bus to campus(which wasn't my fault) and I missed my faculty welcome. Whoops. Here's a quick rundown of today:
- Very hot. Or maybe it was just humidity.
- Made a new friend!
- Lots of freebies.
- I joined some societies (not going to lie, mainly to get more freebies).
- Saw some of the NSW AN crew! It was so good to see you again, guys, maybe I'll see you around on campus. :-)
- Caught up with friends.

I'm going again tomorrow for degree-specific stuff and I'm pretty excited - I haven't met anyone doing the same course as me. I'll be definitely out of my comfort zone, as I'm quite shy when it comes to meeting new people, but we shall see.

Hope you all had an awesome day,
fantasticbeasts x

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 09:22:07 pm »
+5
19/02/2018
- Saw some of the NSW AN crew! It was so good to see you again, guys, maybe I'll see you around on campus. :-)

It was so good seeing you too! Even if it wasn't long and Katie and I kinda lost you in the crowd. Too bad I'm a fake UNSW student though cause damnnnnnnnn today was impressive.

19/02/2018
as I'm quite shy when it comes to meeting new people, but we shall see.

Ahh relatable!!
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 10:17:28 pm »
+2
It was so good seeing you too! Even if it wasn't long and Katie and I kinda lost you in the crowd. Too bad I'm a fake UNSW student though cause damnnnnnnnn today was impressive.

It's okay, there were so many people anyways! I hope you had lots of fun pretending to be a UNSW student, hahaha

Ahh relatable!!

Woooo another person in the same boat. :-)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 10:54:32 pm »
+7
20/02/2018 (uni starts a week from today! crazy)

It was a lot cooler today woooooooooooo

I don't usually get sick, but now I'm sick and I feel like I've taken advantage of the time I wasn't sick. Regardless, I still had an awesome time at Day 2 of O-Week, and once again, here's a quick rundown:
- Saw katie,rinos again today! She's mentioned this in her journal, but we went to a super boring lecture. It probably wasn't intended to be boring, but it was.
- Saw two friends from school, which was nice because I haven't seen them since... well, a while ago. It was great catching up with them :-)
- More freebies!
- Went to two degree-specific things today, and met a few new people. There was a barbecue after the International Studies lecture, and I don't know I feel like everyone's really welcoming and I can relate to these people?

Also, does anyone watch Cable Girls on Netflix? I just finished season 2 today and I'm so angry I want it to keep going!!!!!! I need to know what happens and the next season doesn't come out until like probably the end of the year UGHkjhefkshfler

Hope you all had an awesome day,
fantasticbeasts

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 07:02:21 pm »
+7
27/02/2018

Hello, hello!

I had my first ever lecture today, and geez, waking up early is awful. The lecture started at 9, and I had to get up at 7. I missed two trains, and the bus was packed and I walked up and down the building trying to figure out where the room was. I reckon by the end of this year, I'll be super fit because of the stairs and all the walking 😂

The lecture was for the subject 'Key Debates in International Studies.' The lecture was really interesting, and I'm super pumped to go to the tutorial next week! We're doing a group project (yuck) (not to mention it's every week) but next week's topic is on Brexit, and we have to negotiate with other teams involved in discussions for the issue of the Irish border. I was too lazy to do the readings assigned today (45 pages...) so I did a bit of research for the tutorial activity and read the course outline instead hahaha. I'm really excited to learn more. :-)

Tomorrow I have my first lecture for German! I read through the course outline today and wooooo just very excited. I'm interested to see how they teach languages at uni because I haven't had the best experiences learning languages. I hope I haven't hyped it up too much.

Hope you all have had a great week so far,
fantasticbeasts x

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 10:04:00 pm »
27/02/2018

Hello, hello!

I had my first ever lecture today, and geez, waking up early is awful. The lecture started at 9, and I had to get up at 7. I missed two trains, and the bus was packed and I walked up and down the building trying to figure out where the room was. I reckon by the end of this year, I'll be super fit because of the stairs and all the walking 😂

The lecture was for the subject 'Key Debates in International Studies.' The lecture was really interesting, and I'm super pumped to go to the tutorial next week! We're doing a group project (yuck) (not to mention it's every week) but next week's topic is on Brexit, and we have to negotiate with other teams involved in discussions for the issue of the Irish border. I was too lazy to do the readings assigned today (45 pages...) so I did a bit of research for the tutorial activity and read the course outline instead hahaha. I'm really excited to learn more. :-)

Tomorrow I have my first lecture for German! I read through the course outline today and wooooo just very excited. I'm interested to see how they teach languages at uni because I haven't had the best experiences learning languages. I hope I haven't hyped it up too much.

Hope you all have had a great week so far,
fantasticbeasts x

Sounds super interesting!!!

What are your media type subjects called?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 10:52:35 pm »
+1
Sounds super interesting!!!

What are your media type subjects called?

Yea! Pretty geed to go back into uni hahaha. My two media subjects are "Media, Culture & Everyday Life" and "Media & Communication Contexts." :-)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »
+5
08/03/2018

Hiiii. Hope you all had a great day today!

It's been a while since my last update (HSC me would've updated like every second day hahaha), so here goes. :-) I've had a pretty good time at uni so far - I've met quite a few new people, and there's someone who's in all classes with me except for one, which is awesome. It's nice knowing you have someone relatively familiar in a totally new environment. The group project thing I talked about last week has been good for meeting more people as well. :-)

German is by far my favourite subject; it's just the best. The excitement of learning a language might go away soon hahaha (hopefully never!) but anyway, the tutorial group is super small, so it's a lot easier to ask questions, clarify things, and not get distracted. Yay for German! The other international studies subject I do has been good, but the readings are just crap. They're so dry and boring and complicated to read so it takes like a good day to read about 30 pages. Not to mention one of my media subjects had an awful reading, but it's only the first proper week, so I'll get used to it.

It's been great reading everyone else's uni journals, glad to see everyone's settling in so well :-)

Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend,
fantasticbeasts

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »
08/03/2018

Hiiii. Hope you all had a great day today!

It's been a while since my last update (HSC me would've updated like every second day hahaha), so here goes. :-) I've had a pretty good time at uni so far - I've met quite a few new people, and there's someone who's in all classes with me except for one, which is awesome. It's nice knowing you have someone relatively familiar in a totally new environment. The group project thing I talked about last week has been good for meeting more people as well. :-)

German is by far my favourite subject; it's just the best. The excitement of learning a language might go away soon hahaha (hopefully never!) but anyway, the tutorial group is super small, so it's a lot easier to ask questions, clarify things, and not get distracted. Yay for German! The other international studies subject I do has been good, but the readings are just crap. They're so dry and boring and complicated to read so it takes like a good day to read about 30 pages. Not to mention one of my media subjects had an awful reading, but it's only the first proper week, so I'll get used to it.

It's been great reading everyone else's uni journals, glad to see everyone's settling in so well :-)

Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend,
fantasticbeasts

One of my Media classes also had a super dry reading this week hahaha!! We spent so much time at the beginning of class expressing how bored and confused we were because it started talking about Christianity and the King of Hungary??!!! We were like ummm this isn’t anything to do with media hahahaha
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:31 pm »
+1
One of my Media classes also had a super dry reading this week hahaha!! We spent so much time at the beginning of class expressing how bored and confused we were because it started talking about Christianity and the King of Hungary??!!! We were like ummm this isn’t anything to do with media hahahaha

Hahahaha media = history lesson?? Media has been weirdly confusing lately