Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:13:46 am

Author Topic: ATAR/Scaling Questions  (Read 142337 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: ATAR/Scaling Questions
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »
Hey just say i got all band 6 in my 12 units, but in a very poor ranking school would i still be able to achieve a good ATAR.

Yep! School rankings aren't considered in the calculation of your ATAR - If you get straight Band 6's you will almost definitely get a 90+ ATAR ;D

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »
What effect does the percentage difference between internal marks have? If 3rd gets an internal mark of 81 and 4th gets 65. Then in the HSC, they both get 82. What difference would an internal mark of 80 for 4th have on 4th's moderated mark? Some people say it wouldn't affect it at all but I do not believe this to be true but can't find a definitive answer.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »
+2
What effect does the percentage difference between internal marks have? If 3rd gets an internal mark of 81 and 4th gets 65. Then in the HSC, they both get 82. What difference would an internal mark of 80 for 4th have on 4th's moderated mark? Some people say it wouldn't affect it at all but I do not believe this to be true but can't find a definitive answer.

Hey! It is honestly really hard to tell because there are so many variables. But, spacing is maintained - If 3rd was significantly ahead of 4th internally, that would stay the same after moderation of the internal marks ;D

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »
Haha I'd like to ask about the possibility of improving a subject that could possibly be in a band5 after trials to a band 6 after externals... has is been done before ??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:32 pm »
+3
Haha I'd like to ask about the possibility of improving a subject that could possibly be in a band5 after trials to a band 6 after externals... has is been done before ??

Hey! Is done all the time, a strong performance in the HSC can make a huge difference (and is helped by your cohort doing well as a whole, as the guide linked in the OP details) ;D

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2017, 10:14:13 pm »
Hey! It is honestly really hard to tell because there are so many variables. But, spacing is maintained - If 3rd was significantly ahead of 4th internally, that would stay the same after moderation of the internal marks ;D

Thanks for that! I also distinctly remember our head of curriculum stating that no one's moderated mark is below the worst HSC mark. I also believe this is false. Sorry for the hassle; I just want to know how important sharing notes will be after trials.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »
+3

Thanks for that! I also distinctly remember our head of curriculum stating that no one's moderated mark is below the worst HSC mark. I also believe this is false. Sorry for the hassle; I just want to know how important sharing notes will be after trials.

Nope that is actually true!! The lowest moderated is made equal to the lowest HSC mark (or as close as is possible to keep the spread the same)

Sharing Notes = Vital. You really want a strong cohort around you in that exam room, it makes your life easier and provides a safety net

Rainbowhippocampus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2017, 04:45:46 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if you're going crap in English advanced (around 70-80%) but going well in your other subjects (85-95%) how much it could impact your scaling and atar?
Thanks!

pokemonlv10

• Trailblazer
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2017, 05:48:42 pm »
Hey, was wondering if getting an atar of 92 is achieveable with these marks in a top 40 selective school

Ranks:
English Advanced: 64/121 - 67%
Business Studies: 10/27 - 80%
Mathematics 2u: 50/99 - 75%
3u: 85/99 - 60%
Legal Studies: 3/32 - 94%
Physics: 42/85 - 70%

Rainbowhippocampus

• Trailblazer
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
Hey guys also just wondering if an atar of at least 90 is achievable with these marks (excluding trials) and rank.
School rank: 390
English advanced: 17/32 - 75% average
Biology: 1/24 - 92% average
Business Studies: 1/25 - 90% average
Chemistry: 2/12 - 82% average
Earth and Environmental Science: 1/9 - 96% average
Mathematics General 2: 1/60 - 88% average

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
I'm just wondering if you're going crap in English advanced (around 70-80%) but going well in your other subjects (85-95%) how much it could impact your scaling and atar?
Thanks!

Hey! I definitely wouldn't call 70-80% in Advanced crap. That sort of mark isn't going to be a huge boost to your ATAR of course, but it definitely won't be dragging you down in any significant way either! Depending on the ATAR you are aiming for, a few strong results in the 90's will easily balance out that result for Advanced.

Try and push that Advanced mark up as high as you can though! It will definitely be better for you to have that mark as far into the 80's as possible ;D

Hey guys also just wondering if an atar of at least 90 is achievable with these marks (excluding trials) and rank.
School rank: 390
English advanced: 17/32 - 75% average
Biology: 1/24 - 92% average
Business Studies: 1/25 - 90% average
Chemistry: 2/12 - 82% average
Earth and Environmental Science: 1/9 - 96% average
Mathematics General 2: 1/60 - 88% average

Thanks!

90+ ATAR definitely achievable with those scores, you are killing it, great work! Obviously for 90+ you want as much as possible in the 90's, so work hard to drive up General Math and Advanced English. Chemistry scales really well in the Band 5/6 range so although that mark is lower than General, it probably isn't as much a priority. Also keep in mind your HSC marks in the exam won't necessarily reflect the raw marks you are getting now - You'll improve, and there is all sorts of moderation/alignment involved ;D

Your ranks have set you up really nicely - Great work ;D

Here's a full guide to how your ATAR is calculated, if it interests you! ;D

Rainbowhippocampus

• Trailblazer
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
Hey! I definitely wouldn't call 70-80% in Advanced crap. That sort of mark isn't going to be a huge boost to your ATAR of course, but it definitely won't be dragging you down in any significant way either! Depending on the ATAR you are aiming for, a few strong results in the 90's will easily balance out that result for Advanced.

Try and push that Advanced mark up as high as you can though! It will definitely be better for you to have that mark as far into the 80's as possible ;D

90+ ATAR definitely achievable with those scores, you are killing it, great work! Obviously for 90+ you want as much as possible in the 90's, so work hard to drive up General Math and Advanced English. Chemistry scales really well in the Band 5/6 range so although that mark is lower than General, it probably isn't as much a priority. Also keep in mind your HSC marks in the exam won't necessarily reflect the raw marks you are getting now - You'll improve, and there is all sorts of moderation/alignment involved ;D

Your ranks have set you up really nicely - Great work ;D

Thank you so much!  I'm much more relieved now ive been panicking recently with the english mark thinking it could severely impact my atar.  I'll definitely try and improve english and math!  Once again thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
+1
Hey, was wondering if getting an atar of 92 is achieveable with these marks in a top 40 selective school

Ranks:
English Advanced: 64/121 - 67%
Business Studies: 10/27 - 80%
Mathematics 2u: 50/99 - 75%
3u: 85/99 - 60%
Legal Studies: 3/32 - 94%
Physics: 42/85 - 70%

Hey! For an ATAR of 92 you'd want a sizeable number of Band 6 scores, which is definitely achievable for you if you really push hard. Based on those marks, 3U is likely to be the unit that won't count for you, so you won't have any scaling benefits from that. Your ranks and marks in Business and Legal will likely be leading the charge here, you need really strong Band 6 performances in those to balance out the lower scores in Physics and 2U - Although they scale well, it won't do the work for you. Focus on pushing them up as high as you possibly can.

You can do it. A really strong performance from not only yourself, but also your school cohort in the HSC exams (since your ranks are around the middle of the pac), will be needed to get you there though.

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »
+2
Currently in year 11...3rd term, and all my thoughts about scaling have been banished. I really do believe that scaling is insignificant if the subject obviously is not one of your strengths! The current dux of my school chose what are deemed as "poor" scaling subjects, but because the workload is obviously a lot more easier to handle, and for other obvious reasons, she is easily claiming the position as dux at my school where Extension  2 math, Extension english students are suffering with ranks...so scaling really is BS ...unless of course you ARE great at those "high" scaling subjects
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

A1P

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2017, 01:35:48 am »
The current dux of my school chose what are deemed as "poor" scaling subjects, but because the workload is obviously a lot more easier to handle, ...so scaling really is BS ...

If not for this scaling BS students taking subjects with easier workload end up with higher ATAR, would you think that's a better outcome for all?

What effect does the percentage difference between internal marks have? If 3rd gets an internal mark of 81 and 4th gets 65. Then in the HSC, they both get 82. What difference would an internal mark of 80 for 4th have on 4th's moderated mark?

The effect of moderation is not dependent on each student's exam mark but on the whole cohort's. Internal marks except 1st rank's are moderated by the ratio of cohort's total exam marks (call it X) over cohort's total internal marks (Y), approximately. With the examples above:

Student 1's HSC mark = 81*[X / Y] + 82 div by 2
Student 2's HSC mark = 65*[X / Y] + 82 div by 2
Student 2a's HSC mark = 80*[X / Y] + 82 div by 2