Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:11:25 am

Author Topic: Class of 2021 General Discussion  (Read 30518 times)

sealtheseal

• Adventurer
  • dyin but tryin my best <3
  • Respect: 0
Re: Class of 2021 General Discussion
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 07:59:09 pm »
Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I am now just worried if it will impact my QCE or my ATAR. Since I have just completed unit 1 (Term 1 and 2) of Chinese and now am starting Unit 2, not knowing when I will be able to switch over. Hopefully, I still have a chance

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:27 pm »
+1
I am also a student currently in year 11! It really is quite scary to me.
Right now I am having the dilemma of switching Chinese to Visual art but I have no idea about the scaling. I really want to go into Medical imaging and are doing the subjects: Maths Methods, Literature, Physics, Biology, Design and Chinese. Apparently 2 extra points are given for Chinese. But to be totally honest although i am getting A's I don't enjoy the subject and feel I will be failing it soon. There is so many characters to remember how to write and read. Reading and writing are my worst fears. I don't enjoy Chinese that much and would rather do Visual Art which I did until Yr 10. I received straight A's in the subject. But because I want to get into medical imaging I'm scared Visual art might scale me down.

Could anybody help? Thanks :)

Hey :)

The point of scaling is to make things level for cohort competitiveness, so like eloisegrace has said it's better to make subject decisions around what you enjoy rather than based on scaling. There's a post here explaining scaling in the new QCE system which you might find useful.

You're going to find it easier to study for a subject you actually enjoy rather than one you've forced yourself into for scaling - not to mention that being happier is important on its own.

You also might be interested in this univeristy journey journal by someone studying radiography and medical imaging.

Hi sealtheseal,
I recommend doing the subject you enjoy most, which sounds like Visual Arts. Scaling will not effect you if you enjoy one subject more than the other. In terms of Medical Imaging, you will not be disadvantaged as long as you meet the prerequisites (I'm not sure about pre-reqs for universities in Queensland but at Monash you need a 25 in methods and a 25 in bio or physics).

Always do subjects you enjoy, you will never regret it :)

Just a quick note here that Queensland subjects aren't on a 50 point scale; 25 in VCE is better than 25 in QCE.

Best of luck!

Edit:

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I am now just worried if it will impact my QCE or my ATAR. Since I have just completed unit 1 (Term 1 and 2) of Chinese and now am starting Unit 2, not knowing when I will be able to switch over. Hopefully, I still have a chance

Units 1&2 don't contribute to the calculation of your score, you'll be fine :)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 08:03:33 pm »
Anyone starting year 12 next term?
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2020, 08:18:10 pm »
+2
I just realised that my MOTM day is the day we graduate high school next year :)
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »
+2
Anyone starting year 12 next term?
Late reply but in Victoria (at least in my school), you are a "Year 12" for the last 3 or so weeks of term. It's scary that it is coming so soon I am a bit sad about it tbh  :'(

EDIT: This is the second time I have mistakenly though this was a national board not just for Queensland lol! Anyways hahaha some Victorian insight for all of you Queenslanders.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:47:27 pm by eloisegrace »
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

lamh21

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2020, 06:20:13 pm »
Hi All! I hope you're all doing well!
Just wanted to make a post here in regards to some group chats on Facebook for the 2021 students.
I currently have ones starting up for Methods, Spec, Chem, Bio, Jap and English.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to join! I'm hoping that this can be another great tool along side the AN Forums where we can collaborate with one another, send resources, etc.

Thanks guys! :)

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2020, 06:57:45 pm »
+3
How are you all doing?

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 03:50:26 pm »
+4
Only one year left to go now everyone :)

We graduate on this day in a year's time.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 04:09:27 pm »
+3
Only one year left to go now everyone :)

We graduate on this day in a year's time.

How are you feeling about it? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2020, 04:45:22 pm »
+3
How are you feeling about it? :)

Pretty stressed.

I got two IA1 assignments due tomorrow and an IA1 exam.

It feels like I'm about to enter my own version of Avengers: Endgame.

It feels like the final chapter of a phase in my life story.

However, I do keep wondering how people enjoy themselves during a year when everything they do matters.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:49:58 pm by JerryMouse2019 »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2020, 11:47:52 am »
+1
However, I do keep wondering how people enjoy themselves during a year when everything they do matters.
To a greater or lesser extent, this is true of every year. :)

Advice from a graduating year 12: I'd say you enjoy yourself by trying not to stress and working hard at your subjects - you get to enjoy them if you work hard enough. :) And stack up stuff you'll do at the end - a good incentive :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2020, 08:24:17 pm »
Thanks for that awesome advice The Cat In The Hat :)

How do you get through setbacks? You know, those times when you don't get the grade that you want.

How do you keep yourself from worrying about what your ATAR may turn out to be? Or is it not possible to stop thinking about what your ATAR may turn out to be?

I have a feeling that I'm going to have some setbacks but I just hope that in the end I'll reach my goals.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:32:36 pm by JerryMouse2019 »

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2020, 09:44:53 pm »
+1
Thanks for that awesome advice The Cat In The Hat :)

How do you get through setbacks? You know, those times when you don't get the grade that you want.

How do you keep yourself from worrying about what your ATAR may turn out to be? Or is it not possible to stop thinking about what your ATAR may turn out to be?

I have a feeling that I'm going to have some setbacks but I just hope that in the end I'll reach my goals.
How do you get through setbacks? I find to get through setbacks what I do is... keep on working. Didn't get the mark I wanted this time? I get more determined to do better next time. (That may just be because I'm a stupidly stubborn person, but still.) Also, the pleasure of my parents is a pretty good incentive. :)

And keeping myself from worrying? Hmmm. While the pressure was really on (I have just one exam left) I had no time to worry about ATAR. It's not smart to keep constantly worrying, but I don't think it's really possible to not. It is good incentive to keep working, though. Don't let stress get in the way of your performance. I found if I was too stressed, I would do my best to take a break, generally by merely reading through notes etc. without really trying to specifically learn, and listen to bagpipe music. :D It made me feel I was still doing something useful and yet not feeling too much pressure. This especially applied directly after SACs when I felt exhausted but still felt I should be studying; also in the leadup to exams, I did do a lot more of just reading to avoid procrastination. It really did help.

A small tip, though: if you're a relatively musical person, don't underestimate how long a song you listen to will stay in your head and bug you during exams/SACs! I made the mistake of (somewhat accidentally) listening to 'Thank You For The Music' (ABBA) the night before one of my exams, and then during the exam it was difficult to concentrate on it since that song kept intruding, along with others I'd listened to even some more than a week earlier (without my wanting them to). My advice would be either restrict yourself to music in other languages you don't know how to pronounce/sing or something, or just instrumental. (That said, be aware of instrumental or otherwise music that has associations with yourself; for example, I made sure I didn't listen to Beethoven's Tempest movement 3 for a while beforehand, because it had associations with a certain scene in the novel I'm writing, to avoid that novel coming into my head during the exam.)

Hope this helps! :)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

JerryMouse2019

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 09:35:25 am »
How do you get through setbacks? I find to get through setbacks what I do is... keep on working. Didn't get the mark I wanted this time? I get more determined to do better next time. (That may just be because I'm a stupidly stubborn person, but still.) Also, the pleasure of my parents is a pretty good incentive. :)

And keeping myself from worrying? Hmmm. While the pressure was really on (I have just one exam left) I had no time to worry about ATAR. It's not smart to keep constantly worrying, but I don't think it's really possible to not. It is good incentive to keep working, though. Don't let stress get in the way of your performance. I found if I was too stressed, I would do my best to take a break, generally by merely reading through notes etc. without really trying to specifically learn, and listen to bagpipe music. :D It made me feel I was still doing something useful and yet not feeling too much pressure. This especially applied directly after SACs when I felt exhausted but still felt I should be studying; also in the leadup to exams, I did do a lot more of just reading to avoid procrastination. It really did help.

A small tip, though: if you're a relatively musical person, don't underestimate how long a song you listen to will stay in your head and bug you during exams/SACs! I made the mistake of (somewhat accidentally) listening to 'Thank You For The Music' (ABBA) the night before one of my exams, and then during the exam it was difficult to concentrate on it since that song kept intruding, along with others I'd listened to even some more than a week earlier (without my wanting them to). My advice would be either restrict yourself to music in other languages you don't know how to pronounce/sing or something, or just instrumental. (That said, be aware of instrumental or otherwise music that has associations with yourself; for example, I made sure I didn't listen to Beethoven's Tempest movement 3 for a while beforehand, because it had associations with a certain scene in the novel I'm writing, to avoid that novel coming into my head during the exam.)

Hope this helps! :)

Would instrumental piano music be good to listen to?

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 11:01:01 am »
+1
Would instrumental piano music be good to listen to?
Probably, if you like listening to music while you study/want to relax. (It's what I listen to, though not when studying.) That said, do avoid ones that will elicit certain thoughts/memories that may interfere with an exam if you remember them during the exam.
(This is, remember, all just my personal experience....)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her