Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:44 pm

Author Topic: Subject selection advice  (Read 2041 times)

Jimbo123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Subject selection advice
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:20:17 am »
Hi all,

I need some advice in regards to subject selection. I am going into Yr 11 this year and I have to pick 1 subject from 4 options (Music 2, Chemistry, geo or engineering studies). I have already selected English (2u), German, Ext 1 maths and accelerating 2u maths and physics this year. My interest in all these options is pretty much the same and any advice (scaling, enjoyment, content) is much appreciated.

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
Re: Subject selection advice
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:56:52 am »
Hi!

My knowledge on Music 2, chem and geo is pretty limited but I can offer some insight on Engineering Studies. It is a very content heavy subject, much of what you learn in year 11 is needed for year 12. There is a lot of math involved which can be tricky at first. Revision is key for this subject. Classes were quite fun (mainly due to the small class size) and I believe it scales quite well. This subject will offer insight into what Engineering would be like at university (A sort of taster for the different types) if you're interested in looking at that area.

Apologies that I cannot offer any more 'wisdom' on the other subjects but I hope this helps a little bit!
2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:32 pm »
Hi all,

I need some advice in regards to subject selection. I am going into Yr 11 this year and I have to pick 1 subject from 4 options (Music 2, Chemistry, geo or engineering studies). I have already selected English (2u), German, Ext 1 maths and accelerating 2u maths and physics this year. My interest in all these options is pretty much the same and any advice (scaling, enjoyment, content) is much appreciated.
It all depends on what you enjoy most. For me, I would either pick Chem or Geo simply because I have an insatiable passion for those subjects. For Chem though, the new syllabus is more math-based than before, so it shouldn't be a problem for u if you are faced with calculating equations and finding values (especially since u are doing accelerated 2u maths). It is also content-heavy, so be wary of that. The rest of the subjects I have no idea how they're like.
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:59 pm »
In terms of subjects, my knowledge for geo and engineering studies are very limited, but I can offer advice on music 2 and chemistry. Personally, I did not choose music 2 for the HSC, because I wasn't as passionate for music 2 as I was for the rest of my other subjects, but I was definitely considering it. In my opinion, music 2 is very content heavy as you study the context of music in different genres (depending on what options your teacher chooses) and analyse pieces based on musicology (eg. concepts of music + strong foundations of music theory). Additionally, music 2 consists of performance, aural and composition. Like music 2, chem is also very content heavy because of all the maths involved and understanding why things happen. It also consists of a depth study (basically an investigation of the content you are covering at the time) and overlaps with some of the content you cover in physics (eg. thermodynamics) Both chemistry and music 2 scale fairly well and it is definitely possible to do well in any subject, regardless of scaling, if you are willing to put in the hard work :)

For advice in choosing your subjects, besides from choosing subjects that you are passionate in (like david.wang28 has said), I recommend choosing subjects according to your strengths - for me, I found that I did equally as well in both humanities and stem subjects, so I chose a mixture of both. In addition, If you have a career in mind, you could chose a subject that is relevant to your degree eg. legal studies for law, or perhaps checking out the relevant syllabus/past hsc exams could be helpful in deciding your subjects. Just remember that if you do end up choosing a subject that you don't like, it is super easy to switch to a different subject - the sooner the better. So sorry this is long, but I hope that this helps you decide your subjects for the HSC!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:31:30 pm by avocadinq »
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:47 pm »
+1
Hi all,

Hey!
Everyone above as talked about the subjects specifically, so I thought I'd be more general. I would definitely advise not to focus on scaling for any of your subjects because as long as you have some sort of interest in the subject and you're motivated, you'll do well and therefore your marks will scale well. I wrote a lil something on choosing the right year 11 subjects, if you haven't read it already you can check it out here; https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=183534.0

I would go through the tips there for every subject that you can choose from (and even the ones you've decided to do) to ensure you've picked the perfect subjects for your HSC year!

Good Luck!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

year10student

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »
Hi Everyone, I am currently in year 10 and next year I am currently choosing my subjects for my prelim year and year 12... I am stuck between a few subjects for a few reasons and was wondering if anyone on here could help me... So I am doing
- SOR 1
- Biology
- English Standard
- Maths Standard II
- CAFS
- Legal Studies
- Arts (I really have no interest but my co-ordinator said that I can't do more than 5 2 unit subjects..)

Basically I am stuck between whether I should choose legal studies or business studies

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 10:48:27 pm »
Hi Everyone, I am currently in year 10 and next year I am currently choosing my subjects for my prelim year and year 12... I am stuck between a few subjects for a few reasons and was wondering if anyone on here could help me... So I am doing
- SOR 1
- Biology
- English Standard
- Maths Standard II
- CAFS
- Legal Studies
- Arts (I really have no interest but my co-ordinator said that I can't do more than 5 2 unit subjects..)

Basically I am stuck between whether I should choose legal studies or business studies

Choose whichever one you have more of an interest in. Don't base it off other factors like scaling.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:02:41 am by DrDusk »

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:31:16 am »
- SOR 1
- Biology
- English Standard
- Maths Standard II
- CAFS
- Legal Studies

I don't do Legal or Business so I can't give specific advice but this post on subject selection might help you out!
https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/08/01/how-to-pick-your-subjects/
I hope you found it useful!

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 02:35:51 pm »

Whilst I didn't do business studies I do no that in terms of the final exam legal studies is heavily essay based (business is too but has a bit more short answer questions). However I hate essays and enjoyed legal due to the content.

In terms of deciding I'd say your best options are if you do commerce speak to your teacher and see what they have to say or otherwise perhaps speak to a senior teacher for these subjects. Additionally look up past HSC exams and the syllabus to see which content would suit your interest better.

I had the same problem in year 10 and nearly picked up business mid year 11 however based on what I enjoyed in Commerce and looking at the syllabus realised I would enjoy legal more.

HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

fkeywood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:28 pm »
Hi all,

I can provide advice on Chemistry and geography.
Chemistry well is personally my favourite subject and I would probably advise this subject along with your choices because a) is it maths heavy which you seem to have a gift for considering you are doing ext 1 maths, and b) there is some overlapping content with physics (I have looked at the syllabus) which could be useful for both Chemistry and Physics as well.
However, since the subjects you have already chosen are hard it may be nicer to have a subject that does not require as much effort to excel in. Geography is one of those subjects, the content is interesting and it is not extremely hard to excel at.

In saying that Music may be a good option too as it provides relief from very logic-based subjects.

Personally, I would choose Chemistry but choose according to what you feel you need to get through the next two years