Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:03:54 am

Author Topic: Question regarding allocation of marks and ranks  (Read 1526 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Question regarding allocation of marks and ranks
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:13:33 am »
Hey, i have a question regarding the ranks i receieved and how they correlate to the hsc exams.
Okay so for instance, i ranked 2nd in my course for modern history. Does that mean that regardless of how my actual individual raw performence in the exam (say i only get 70/100) i get allocated the 2nd best mark from the exam, say a 93 due to the fact that im ranked 2nd in the course and that counts towards my final hsc mark and my ATAR?

Simiarly, i am ranked 17th in adv english, does that mean even if i got a 50/100 for the exam, i get given the 17th best mark (say a 70/100) and that counts towards my final hsc mark and my ATAR?

Thanks!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Re: Question regarding allocation of marks and ranks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:46:57 pm »
+1
No, you'll always get your individual raw mark in the exam, but it'll be averaged out with a moderated internal mark (which is based on rank). So, in your first example of modern, you'd get 70+93/2, which is about 82. It also takes into account the relative gap between ranks, so it's not absolute as it involves some complex mathematical process that no one really knows about, but that's the gist of it. :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)