Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:55:41 pm

Author Topic: Why am I so slow?  (Read 1169 times)  Share 

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Why am I so slow?
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:47:26 pm »
I find myself taking too long to complete an exercise from Cambridge. I did an algebra exercise on like terms... pretty simple right? It took me well over an hour. My answers were all right, and I understood it. I show all my working out. But the length to complete it might be because i'm a perfectionist :( I'm now six-feet under with HW. So my question is, how do I speed up? Should I be showing all steps of working out? Are there any tips or techniques to help?

My next topic has graphs, tables.... helpppp

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Why am I so slow?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:29 am »
+4
I find myself taking too long to complete an exercise from Cambridge. I did an algebra exercise on like terms... pretty simple right? It took me well over an hour. My answers were all right, and I understood it. I show all my working out. But the length to complete it might be because i'm a perfectionist :( I'm now six-feet under with HW. So my question is, how do I speed up? Should I be showing all steps of working out? Are there any tips or techniques to help?

My next topic has graphs, tables.... helpppp

Hey Kaan! Good on you for getting everything right - Sounds like you understand it well! That's the hard bit!

A few points:

- You don't need to show EVERY step, but you should show the main step. If, while you are doing the exercise, you find that you are writing lines and thinking, "Come on, have to get this down so I can write the answer," that suggests you might not need to write that line, since you already are thinking about the answer. Show enough to let the marker follow your flow of thinking, but you don't need absolutely every step if you don't want it (be careful not to make silly errors if you skip steps!) ;D

- My best advice to help would be to reattempt an exercise similar to that one from Cambridge (or the same one), and try and time it to get it done in an hour. Then do another similar one and do it in 50 minutes. See where I'm going? You need to start doing lots of these things and do them under time pressure. That will hopefully, over time, improve your speed!

Unfortunately, practice is really the only way to improve your speed with tackling these questions. The more you do them, the faster you will be. Hang in there! :)