Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 11:34:32 pm

Author Topic: Correlation coefficient  (Read 5812 times)  Share 

Isaacmillsy59

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Correlation coefficient
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:05:00 pm »
How do i calculate correlation coefficient. I'm quite stuck on this as this is extra work for me and as such, it hasn't been explained to me yet. Thanks heaps guys!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Correlation coefficient
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:55 am »
+1
How do i calculate correlation coefficient. I'm quite stuck on this as this is extra work for me and as such, it hasn't been explained to me yet. Thanks heaps guys!

Hey! I didn't do General, so I'm not going to answer properly except to say that there is a formula on the first page of your General Maths formula sheet (which you can find here). According to the formula, if you calculate the various standard deviations and gradient, you can find the r value. There may be other ways to do this; I didn't do general.

Hopefully someone else can give you a more complete answer, but hope this helps in the meantime!

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 01:09:03 pm »
+3

Hi there!

What Jake said is exactly right! You can also calculate the correlation coefficient using a scientific calculator. You can do this by simply following the steps below:
  • Press MODE > 2: STAT > 2: A + BX. A table with columns labelled X and Y will appear and here is where you can enter your X and Y values into the calculator. 
  • After you have entered all your scores... Press AC > SHIFT > 1 > 5: Reg > 3: r
And r is your correlation coefficient!

If you need help finding the standard deviation of x and y let me know and I can show you how to find it on your calculator!

Hope that helps  8)
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

ella_reilly

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:45:01 am »
+3

you can use the formula on the formula sheet attached here https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths-general-2-formulae-14.pdf if you have all the information to work backwards (gradient and SD of x and y scores) If not, then put your calculator in STAT mod and enter the bi variate data that way - for a casio Au plus II, click: MODE, 2, 2 (A+bx) , then enter all data, AC, SHIFT, 1, 5(REG) and 3 (r, which is the correlation coefficient) xxxxx