Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:29:27 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 2 Question Thread  (Read 66960 times)  Share 

bananna

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 2 Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:37 am »
Hey bananna, apologies for the delay! Before talking about the structure, I just want to give you three thoughts...
I think you've got American spelling on for sanitizer when you likely mean sanitiser. No doubt this would come clear in the editing process anyway! Also, "of off chicken" just reads a little funny to me although it isn't incorrect, but for some reason I just fixated on it for too long. It's not incorrect, but "of off" does sound odd. And lastly, is the inmate fight the best thing that could ever happen to "me" or to "my career." I don't know where the story is going, but this could be an important distinction to make - is it important to the man personally, or just for the purpose of his career?

I think you've captured the voice really well! I think he sound stern but still human and not robotic. Sentence structure can be powerful in creating voices - but if you have to change any persona's sentence structure to no longer be short, it wouldn't be this character's. The short sentence structure contributes to the sternness of this man, which you need! Is it possible that you could work on varying the other persona's sentences, and leave this one?

thank you! yes I've made note of little structure/expression issues.
but, I think making those changes could work to my benefit, so thank you!

josephinepike

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 11:07:29 am »
Hi Elyse,

I didn't even realise you did Extension 2!

I have just changed my form last minute! I have changed from a short film to a speech as per a push and shove from my teachers. My concept itself is down syndrome, but more specifically down syndrome, but I was wondering a few things:

- How can I develop my concept to make it more succint?
- Where is the best place to look to start finding literary theory and research, as there is not much literature relevant to what we're studying I believe.
- Can you also explain what literary theory is and where I can find it in relation to disability/down syndrome?

Thanks so much and kind regards,
Josephine.  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2017, 08:56:35 am »
+1
Hi Elyse,

I didn't even realise you did Extension 2!

I have just changed my form last minute! I have changed from a short film to a speech as per a push and shove from my teachers. My concept itself is down syndrome, but more specifically down syndrome, but I was wondering a few things:

- How can I develop my concept to make it more succint?
- Where is the best place to look to start finding literary theory and research, as there is not much literature relevant to what we're studying I believe.
- Can you also explain what literary theory is and where I can find it in relation to disability/down syndrome?

Thanks so much and kind regards,
Josephine.  :)

Hey Josephine!
I've got a few texts I want to suggest for you to browse! There's one in particular that my own English teacher raved about but never read, so I've just sent her a Facebook message to see if she can remember it.

But for now, have a look at this on the Conversation. It is an EXCELLENT place to start when looking at down syndrome in literature, and it suggests some texts as well. This article is quite academic but the contents page will tell you exactly where you need to go to find out great information!

In relation to what is literary theory - I always see it as the lens through which we critically perceive literature. So, you could look at literature through a feminist theory, a marxist theory, postcolonial theory...etc. This guide here gives a good outline on a few. I hope you don't mind that I'm linking you all over the place! I just want to give you the option for further reading. You could approach your text through the literary theory of structuralist theory. But, most E2 students won't be looking at literary theory in the composition of their texts because usually it's used for analysing/perceiving, rather than creating. Is it something your teacher has advised?

Here's some reviews on a book that might be helpful so you can decide if it's worth getting your hands on. I don't think this is particularly helpful, but Schmoop does a little intro to disability theory in literature. I think most of it is a bit common sense rather than articulate, but it's a good place to start.

Well..despite my initial understanding, it turns out disability literary theory is a growing field! So you could find some things on the net if you scoop around, but hopefully these get you started :)

Edit: my teacher got back to me (but posting on my Facebook wall instead of sending me a message back...I don't know why) but the text is called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddin. She recommended it to me about 4 years ago because I wanted to write a short story about autism, but then I changed my mind. But she said it's a really incredible text nonetheless, so might be worth a look!

Edit again: Now she's sent me a PDF link! So the text is there. Reading online I can see it's been translated into over 20 languages, must be good! :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:22:19 am by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:14 pm »
+2
Hi Elyse,

I understand if I am way out of line in asking you to have a look at my Report, but I am really nervous that this just isn't in the top band. The teacher which usually handles the extension 2 course has gone on Year 7 camp and there are only a few of us actually taking Extension 2 in our cohort.

I would really, really appreciate it if you could have a look at my report and give me some feedback on how to get that 14-15/15?

Thank you so much, Mary x

Hey Mary!

I perhaps don't need to, but I want to preface this by saying I was the only person in my cohort who did Ext2, I was a class of one person, so it's possible that my experience of the course is different to other peoples. Because I only have my own work to bounce off, I hope I'm giving the right advice, seeing as it's not like I could look at my peers to see their approach! But as is the case with all feed back, you decide what you want to take on :)
Spoiler
My major work examines Shakespeare’s characters Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra and Cordelia from King Lear through the lens of Romantic individuals Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. The introduction of each character is unclear, maybe it's just because of the way it's reformatted here. Put the text's names in Italics or underlined so that we can tell apart the characters and their texts, just because it seems to be a bit jumbled and we can't have that happen so early on :) I arrived at this area of study through my readings of Joseph Ortiz’s Shakespeare and The Culture of Romanticism and Jonathan Bate’s The Romantics on Shakespeare, this allowed me to This language here makes sense, but it's not expressed in a sophisticated manner. Perhaps if you start a new sentence here, you can use nominalisation to your advantage. create an informed understanding of what Romantic critique consisted of and how it was applied to Shakespeare’s work. The focus on Shakespeare’s female characters has been quite neglected in history in literary history? critical history? Be specific here., however the new wave of feminism in the 21st century has brought Shakespeare’s female characters back to this implies that they were once at the forefront - were they? the forefront, but with a focus only on contemporary and 20th century critique. Within Romantic critique there was a concentration on Shakespeare’s women which was quite revolutionary for the era and it is imperative that this focus is revived in contemporary society I know it's small, but we've used "was" twice in this sentence. No huge deal, but being E2, expression is everything. I hope you don't think I'm being too picky, it's always easier to find faults in other people's work than your own! . Focusing on Romantic criticism offers something rich in the understanding of Shakespeare’s characters, the era’s evaluations have become quite forgotten and concentrating on this lens provides a view that informs character criticisms. The examination of the development of Romantic criticisms through different periods in the era provides various informed scopes for the evaluation of the characters. This analysis, using Romantic precepts attempts to grant validity to the female experience and representation of human characters. The journal the Shakespeare Quarterly is a peer reviewed journal, renowned for its publication of essays at the forefront of Shakespearean studies. Its concentration on scholarly essays investigating new perspectives on Shakespeare’s work provides an audience for my major work, which evaluates his characters using the Romantic lens.

My initial research focussed focused* upon the form of character criticism that the Romantics delighted in. Reading essays upon Romantic criticism such as George Mosse’s The Culture of Western Europe and Arthur Kirch’s Shakespeare’s Humanism reaffirmed a clear understanding of why the Romantics revered Shakespeare, highlighting that the Romantics centred their attention upon the internal condition of individuals and the analysis of the individual’s emotions. Prior to commencing my major work, I had an understanding of Romantic philosophies and precepts, however my research made me aware of its potential relevance and application to the critique of literature. My interest in Romantic critique grew as I researched essays written in the Romantic era, such as John Keats’ The Poetical Character and Samuel Johnson’s Dedication to Shakespeare which directly interacts with Shakespeare’s characters and Romantic perspectives upon them, Johnson remarking that “Shakespeare’s excellence was not the fiction of a tale, but the representation of life; and his reputation is therefore safe till human nature shall be changed.” I also came across peer reviews of Romantic essays written by Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge, such as Karen Gervitz’s Elizabeth Inchbald; Shakespeare Criticism, Francesca Saggini’s The Art of Fine Drama: Inchbald’s Remarks for The British Theatre and the Aesthetic Experience of the Late Eighteenth Century Theatre-Goer, Jonathan Bate’s William Hazlitt “On Siddons, Kemble and Kean” and James Engell’s Coleridge, Johnson and Shakespeare. This piqued my interest into the development of Romantic criticism on Shakespeare, Inchbald providing a bridge between Neoclassic Criticism and Romantic understanding, Hazlitt capturing Humanist and Romantic perspectives, whilst Coleridge forming the epitome of 19th century Romantic critique. This interest caused me to explore their own essays in order to garner knowledge on their precepts and preoccupations of Shakespeare’s characters. Elizabeth Inchbald’s remarks on Shakespeare’s characters in The British Theatre provided an understanding of her observations which grant validity to the female experience within the Romantic era. Hazlitt’s Characters of Shakespeare’s Plays also focussed upon Shakespeare’s female characters as capturing women with internal machinations. Coleridge’s criticism within his letter On Shakespeare’s Characters prefigured psycho-analytical readings of literature. This research shaped my major work, creating a discussion of Shakespeare’s characters through the development of Inchbald, Hazlitt and Coleridge’s critique-which reflects different periods of Romanticism. Until this last sentence, you've just listed research without actually making the strong connections. I think we need to revise the way you've approached this. Similar to an essay, you make a point and then you link. Here, you need to make a point of your research but then link it as well to the way your major work is right now. Directly link the exact point your major work is up to now, to the research. Like, if in paragraph 3 you've espoused a marxist reading on top of romantic critical theory (hypothetical), then you would say that came from the reading of blah blah. Specifically talk about how each text influenced your work and where it did, and to what degree.

Having attained this foundational understanding I began searching for potential characters in Shakespeare’s texts. Through my readings of Inchbald, Hazlitt and Coleridge I discovered their fascination with Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra. Each individual had a unique lens upon Cleopatra as they represented the different periods within Romanticism. In Inchbald’s Preface to Antony and Cleopatra she focuses upon Cleopatra’s emotion and insecurities as rendering her with human qualities-a culmination of Neo-classist and Romantic critique. Hazlitt’s notion of Cleopatra’s character revolving around the dichotomy of the political, powerful queen and yet the seductive woman driven by emotion transcends Inchbald’s evaluations to provide Humanist and Romantic critique. Coleridge's note which was made for a lecture in 1818 on Antony and Cleopatra revealed his opinion that “perhaps of Shakespeare’s plays, the most wonderful is Antony and Cleopatra.” Coleridge’s evaluation of Cleopatra represents the height of Romantic critique remarking that “the sense of criminality in her passion” reveals the Romantic preoccupation that “depth and energy” within emotion renders an authentic human experience. The development of criticism on Cleopatra within the Romantic era significantly shaped my major work as it allowed me to analyse Cleopatra through a development of Romantic readings and the differing perspectives on the representation of her humanity. This formed a structure of my analysis, to focus on Cleopatra in light of each individual and create a sustained Romantic evaluation. So what did this offer that other texts couldn't? You're making the connection stronger in this one, but we need to be more evaluative now :) Was this pivotal in your work? You need to be more critical of your own research (which I know is tricky!).

My knowledge of Hermione from The Winter’s Tale greatly assisted in my choice to contrast Cleopatra with Hermione, still using the Romantic individual’s criticisms. Hermione and Cleopatra were both queens and had similar roles within their respective monarchs, however there was a stark contrast in personality, Hermione being quite reserved and Cleopatra a vivacious, vibrant character. Phyllis Rackin’s Shakespeare and Women and Juliet Dusinberre’s Shakespeare and The Nature of Women provided significant insight into the analysis of Hermione. However, despite my extensive research, I came to a realisation that Hermione did not represent a character which embodied Romantic fascination and that Romanticism instead focused on the character of Cordelia form King Lear. This realisation led to a change of route in my major work as I chose a different character in order to render an authentic Romantic reading of Shakespeare’s female characters. Unfortunately, this decision was made very late in the term and impacted upon my ability to extensively research Cordelia. Nice! Good critical thinking. I am aware, however, that King Lear was an incredibly popular play and has sustained its popularity into the 21st century. My knowledge that the Romantics revered Cordelia was supported by the alteration of King Lear’s ending in the 19th century, the Romantics deciding that Cordelia should not die because they believed such a wonderful and moral character did not deserve that ending. Therefore, the direction of my major work changed, however this ensures that it does reflect Romantic evaluations and criticisms of Shakespeare’s characters in order to create an authentic major work.

I chose to write a critical response as the form of my major work because this was the most effective instrument for the analysis which I desired to undertake. Despite having initially explored writing essays in the style of Elizabeth Inchbald, my final decision to utilise a traditional, objective, formal tone was determined by the strongly academic context of my response, particularly in my application of Romantic criticism. Beautiful! Very good! I was influenced in my decision of this structure by Joseph Addison’s On the Essay Form and Richard Amacher’s The Essay, which highlighted that a complex subject matter mandated an academic approach. Great! Furthermore, because the intended purpose of my response was investigative, I chose to write in third person. As my investigation progressed, I decided to structure my essay into sections to encapsulate the various criticisms of the Romantic individuals and their representations of the different periods of Romanticism for each female character. This structure not only provides different analyses per section of the humanity in each character but also allows a clear progression of Romantic critique and ideas. Your best paragraph...you are so critical and evaluative here, making direct links between different people/works and your own work.

My intended purpose, that is, the examination of Shakespeare’s female characters Cleopatra and Cordelia through the lens of Romantic critique from the individuals of Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge has been clearly shaped by the aforementioned area of investigation in Romantic criticisms of literature, particularly Shakespeare’s work. Long sentence girlfriend! I'd split it into two sentences, the first saying "The research of blah blah and blah has clearly shaped my major work. The evolution of my purpose has come to a point where it now clearly is: *say intention*" Something like this, split them up :) Autonomous investigation has played an integral role in the major work progress and has furthered my conceptual development in numerous areas as well as inspiring the form and nature of my essay.

I think you've done a great job, and the E2 report is difficult because you really need to use every single word strongly. Every word has to have a meaning and an intention - and you've got some great examples of that, but there are some parts where analysis is required to make a stronger account. I've pointed out the parts where I think you've done an excellent job of being critical of the process - hopefully it all makes sense to you! Again, take it all with a grain of salt, but I hope this gives you a step in the right direction :)

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:18 am »
+2
Hey Mary!

I perhaps don't need to, but I want to preface this by saying I was the only person in my cohort who did Ext2, I was a class of one person, so it's possible that my experience of the course is different to other peoples. Because I only have my own work to bounce off, I hope I'm giving the right advice, seeing as it's not like I could look at my peers to see their approach! But as is the case with all feed back, you decide what you want to take on :)
Spoiler
My major work examines Shakespeare’s characters Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra and Cordelia from King Lear through the lens of Romantic individuals Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. The introduction of each character is unclear, maybe it's just because of the way it's reformatted here. Put the text's names in Italics or underlined so that we can tell apart the characters and their texts, just because it seems to be a bit jumbled and we can't have that happen so early on :) I arrived at this area of study through my readings of Joseph Ortiz’s Shakespeare and The Culture of Romanticism and Jonathan Bate’s The Romantics on Shakespeare, this allowed me to This language here makes sense, but it's not expressed in a sophisticated manner. Perhaps if you start a new sentence here, you can use nominalisation to your advantage. create an informed understanding of what Romantic critique consisted of and how it was applied to Shakespeare’s work. The focus on Shakespeare’s female characters has been quite neglected in history in literary history? critical history? Be specific here., however the new wave of feminism in the 21st century has brought Shakespeare’s female characters back to this implies that they were once at the forefront - were they? the forefront, but with a focus only on contemporary and 20th century critique. Within Romantic critique there was a concentration on Shakespeare’s women which was quite revolutionary for the era and it is imperative that this focus is revived in contemporary society I know it's small, but we've used "was" twice in this sentence. No huge deal, but being E2, expression is everything. I hope you don't think I'm being too picky, it's always easier to find faults in other people's work than your own! . Focusing on Romantic criticism offers something rich in the understanding of Shakespeare’s characters, the era’s evaluations have become quite forgotten and concentrating on this lens provides a view that informs character criticisms. The examination of the development of Romantic criticisms through different periods in the era provides various informed scopes for the evaluation of the characters. This analysis, using Romantic precepts attempts to grant validity to the female experience and representation of human characters. The journal the Shakespeare Quarterly is a peer reviewed journal, renowned for its publication of essays at the forefront of Shakespearean studies. Its concentration on scholarly essays investigating new perspectives on Shakespeare’s work provides an audience for my major work, which evaluates his characters using the Romantic lens.

My initial research focussed focused* upon the form of character criticism that the Romantics delighted in. Reading essays upon Romantic criticism such as George Mosse’s The Culture of Western Europe and Arthur Kirch’s Shakespeare’s Humanism reaffirmed a clear understanding of why the Romantics revered Shakespeare, highlighting that the Romantics centred their attention upon the internal condition of individuals and the analysis of the individual’s emotions. Prior to commencing my major work, I had an understanding of Romantic philosophies and precepts, however my research made me aware of its potential relevance and application to the critique of literature. My interest in Romantic critique grew as I researched essays written in the Romantic era, such as John Keats’ The Poetical Character and Samuel Johnson’s Dedication to Shakespeare which directly interacts with Shakespeare’s characters and Romantic perspectives upon them, Johnson remarking that “Shakespeare’s excellence was not the fiction of a tale, but the representation of life; and his reputation is therefore safe till human nature shall be changed.” I also came across peer reviews of Romantic essays written by Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge, such as Karen Gervitz’s Elizabeth Inchbald; Shakespeare Criticism, Francesca Saggini’s The Art of Fine Drama: Inchbald’s Remarks for The British Theatre and the Aesthetic Experience of the Late Eighteenth Century Theatre-Goer, Jonathan Bate’s William Hazlitt “On Siddons, Kemble and Kean” and James Engell’s Coleridge, Johnson and Shakespeare. This piqued my interest into the development of Romantic criticism on Shakespeare, Inchbald providing a bridge between Neoclassic Criticism and Romantic understanding, Hazlitt capturing Humanist and Romantic perspectives, whilst Coleridge forming the epitome of 19th century Romantic critique. This interest caused me to explore their own essays in order to garner knowledge on their precepts and preoccupations of Shakespeare’s characters. Elizabeth Inchbald’s remarks on Shakespeare’s characters in The British Theatre provided an understanding of her observations which grant validity to the female experience within the Romantic era. Hazlitt’s Characters of Shakespeare’s Plays also focussed upon Shakespeare’s female characters as capturing women with internal machinations. Coleridge’s criticism within his letter On Shakespeare’s Characters prefigured psycho-analytical readings of literature. This research shaped my major work, creating a discussion of Shakespeare’s characters through the development of Inchbald, Hazlitt and Coleridge’s critique-which reflects different periods of Romanticism. Until this last sentence, you've just listed research without actually making the strong connections. I think we need to revise the way you've approached this. Similar to an essay, you make a point and then you link. Here, you need to make a point of your research but then link it as well to the way your major work is right now. Directly link the exact point your major work is up to now, to the research. Like, if in paragraph 3 you've espoused a marxist reading on top of romantic critical theory (hypothetical), then you would say that came from the reading of blah blah. Specifically talk about how each text influenced your work and where it did, and to what degree.

Having attained this foundational understanding I began searching for potential characters in Shakespeare’s texts. Through my readings of Inchbald, Hazlitt and Coleridge I discovered their fascination with Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra. Each individual had a unique lens upon Cleopatra as they represented the different periods within Romanticism. In Inchbald’s Preface to Antony and Cleopatra she focuses upon Cleopatra’s emotion and insecurities as rendering her with human qualities-a culmination of Neo-classist and Romantic critique. Hazlitt’s notion of Cleopatra’s character revolving around the dichotomy of the political, powerful queen and yet the seductive woman driven by emotion transcends Inchbald’s evaluations to provide Humanist and Romantic critique. Coleridge's note which was made for a lecture in 1818 on Antony and Cleopatra revealed his opinion that “perhaps of Shakespeare’s plays, the most wonderful is Antony and Cleopatra.” Coleridge’s evaluation of Cleopatra represents the height of Romantic critique remarking that “the sense of criminality in her passion” reveals the Romantic preoccupation that “depth and energy” within emotion renders an authentic human experience. The development of criticism on Cleopatra within the Romantic era significantly shaped my major work as it allowed me to analyse Cleopatra through a development of Romantic readings and the differing perspectives on the representation of her humanity. This formed a structure of my analysis, to focus on Cleopatra in light of each individual and create a sustained Romantic evaluation. So what did this offer that other texts couldn't? You're making the connection stronger in this one, but we need to be more evaluative now :) Was this pivotal in your work? You need to be more critical of your own research (which I know is tricky!).

My knowledge of Hermione from The Winter’s Tale greatly assisted in my choice to contrast Cleopatra with Hermione, still using the Romantic individual’s criticisms. Hermione and Cleopatra were both queens and had similar roles within their respective monarchs, however there was a stark contrast in personality, Hermione being quite reserved and Cleopatra a vivacious, vibrant character. Phyllis Rackin’s Shakespeare and Women and Juliet Dusinberre’s Shakespeare and The Nature of Women provided significant insight into the analysis of Hermione. However, despite my extensive research, I came to a realisation that Hermione did not represent a character which embodied Romantic fascination and that Romanticism instead focused on the character of Cordelia form King Lear. This realisation led to a change of route in my major work as I chose a different character in order to render an authentic Romantic reading of Shakespeare’s female characters. Unfortunately, this decision was made very late in the term and impacted upon my ability to extensively research Cordelia. Nice! Good critical thinking. I am aware, however, that King Lear was an incredibly popular play and has sustained its popularity into the 21st century. My knowledge that the Romantics revered Cordelia was supported by the alteration of King Lear’s ending in the 19th century, the Romantics deciding that Cordelia should not die because they believed such a wonderful and moral character did not deserve that ending. Therefore, the direction of my major work changed, however this ensures that it does reflect Romantic evaluations and criticisms of Shakespeare’s characters in order to create an authentic major work.

I chose to write a critical response as the form of my major work because this was the most effective instrument for the analysis which I desired to undertake. Despite having initially explored writing essays in the style of Elizabeth Inchbald, my final decision to utilise a traditional, objective, formal tone was determined by the strongly academic context of my response, particularly in my application of Romantic criticism. Beautiful! Very good! I was influenced in my decision of this structure by Joseph Addison’s On the Essay Form and Richard Amacher’s The Essay, which highlighted that a complex subject matter mandated an academic approach. Great! Furthermore, because the intended purpose of my response was investigative, I chose to write in third person. As my investigation progressed, I decided to structure my essay into sections to encapsulate the various criticisms of the Romantic individuals and their representations of the different periods of Romanticism for each female character. This structure not only provides different analyses per section of the humanity in each character but also allows a clear progression of Romantic critique and ideas. Your best paragraph...you are so critical and evaluative here, making direct links between different people/works and your own work.

My intended purpose, that is, the examination of Shakespeare’s female characters Cleopatra and Cordelia through the lens of Romantic critique from the individuals of Elizabeth Inchbald, William Hazlitt and Samuel Taylor Coleridge has been clearly shaped by the aforementioned area of investigation in Romantic criticisms of literature, particularly Shakespeare’s work. Long sentence girlfriend! I'd split it into two sentences, the first saying "The research of blah blah and blah has clearly shaped my major work. The evolution of my purpose has come to a point where it now clearly is: *say intention*" Something like this, split them up :) Autonomous investigation has played an integral role in the major work progress and has furthered my conceptual development in numerous areas as well as inspiring the form and nature of my essay.

I think you've done a great job, and the E2 report is difficult because you really need to use every single word strongly. Every word has to have a meaning and an intention - and you've got some great examples of that, but there are some parts where analysis is required to make a stronger account. I've pointed out the parts where I think you've done an excellent job of being critical of the process - hopefully it all makes sense to you! Again, take it all with a grain of salt, but I hope this gives you a step in the right direction :)

Hi Elyse,

I really, really appreciate your feedback! It was everything I needed in order to understand what the report actually required from me and how to elucidate it properly in my work. I am so grateful!

Thank you so, so much Elyse! The effort you put in at AtarNotes is just spectacular and I am so grateful to everyone here! :)

Thanks again,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
Hi:)
My major work is full of experimentation and I've finally decided to use first person for my child refugee (as oppose to third person).
This means I have to change the 1200 words I wrote previously.
Wondering if you had any tips on writing in 1st person from a child's POV.

Thank you!! 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 09:29:46 pm »
+1
Hi:)
My major work is full of experimentation and I've finally decided to use first person for my child refugee (as oppose to third person).
This means I have to change the 1200 words I wrote previously.
Wondering if you had any tips on writing in 1st person from a child's POV.

Thank you!!

Hey banana! You've not got an easy task ahead of you I'm afraid to say! There are lots of things to consider when writing from a child's perspective. Firstly, the vocabulary. You have the be realistic in what you are suggesting is coming from the mind and mouth of the character. Would an 8 year old likely know that word? Would an 8 year old from Iran likely know that word? Etc...  It does limit you at times, which is where it's tricky. You want to be able to show your prowess with writing but at the same time you are constrained to the voice of the child. We need to believe that a child is saying these words in order for us to benefit from the first person narration, otherwise, you may as well leave it in third person. A lot of writers manage a child's voice because they will use an adult's perspective to look back on their childhood - thus they can superimpose a maturity of vocabulary and perspective. If this isn't an option in your story, we need to look at other options. If you have the luxury of being able to communicate with a child about your story - maybe do so. For example, if you need to describe rain, and your neighbour is the same age as your protagonist, ask them: What does rain sound like? Perhaps you can talk with them about a few things just to attune your mind into the mind of a child, so you know what they aliken things to.

Another thing to consider is, yes you are confined to the vocabulary of a child for the most part, but there are a few ways around that. The way I see most fitting is by recognising the thought process of a child. So, even if you have to use the more sophisticated vocabulary, you might be able to adjust syntax in a way that creates a very "childish thoughtful process." I find that my nephew says "or" alllll the time. "Batman can fly over the top here and then you scoop him up. OR, OR, he can fly over the top and then be eaten by a dragon! orrrrr, he can..." It's this kind of excited way of putting pieces together that children have. This also reminds me, punctuation can make all the difference! Kids can sound excited about things, or very, very, sad about things.

I have to admit, I haven't written in the voice of a child for a long time so you'd need to take this with a grain of salt because I haven't practiced it, but I've read a lot of creatives with children's voices so hopefully this gives you some pointers! :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:40 am »
Hey banana! You've not got an easy task ahead of you I'm afraid to say! There are lots of things to consider when writing from a child's perspective. Firstly, the vocabulary. You have the be realistic in what you are suggesting is coming from the mind and mouth of the character. Would an 8 year old likely know that word? Would an 8 year old from Iran likely know that word? Etc...  It does limit you at times, which is where it's tricky. You want to be able to show your prowess with writing but at the same time you are constrained to the voice of the child. We need to believe that a child is saying these words in order for us to benefit from the first person narration, otherwise, you may as well leave it in third person. A lot of writers manage a child's voice because they will use an adult's perspective to look back on their childhood - thus they can superimpose a maturity of vocabulary and perspective. If this isn't an option in your story, we need to look at other options. If you have the luxury of being able to communicate with a child about your story - maybe do so. For example, if you need to describe rain, and your neighbour is the same age as your protagonist, ask them: What does rain sound like? Perhaps you can talk with them about a few things just to attune your mind into the mind of a child, so you know what they aliken things to.

Another thing to consider is, yes you are confined to the vocabulary of a child for the most part, but there are a few ways around that. The way I see most fitting is by recognising the thought process of a child. So, even if you have to use the more sophisticated vocabulary, you might be able to adjust syntax in a way that creates a very "childish thoughtful process." I find that my nephew says "or" alllll the time. "Batman can fly over the top here and then you scoop him up. OR, OR, he can fly over the top and then be eaten by a dragon! orrrrr, he can..." It's this kind of excited way of putting pieces together that children have. This also reminds me, punctuation can make all the difference! Kids can sound excited about things, or very, very, sad about things.

I have to admit, I haven't written in the voice of a child for a long time so you'd need to take this with a grain of salt because I haven't practiced it, but I've read a lot of creatives with children's voices so hopefully this gives you some pointers! :)

Thanks a lot, Elyse!
Just a quick question--do you know the titles of any novels/short stories that include a child's voice?
Thank you :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:47 am »
+1
Thanks a lot, Elyse!
Just a quick question--do you know the titles of any novels/short stories that include a child's voice?
Thank you :)

The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night uses an autistic child's voice I believe - it might be an interesting read. I can't think of others off the top of my head...every one I think of is third person narrator focusing on a child: Matilda, Great Expectations, Harry Potter (early books). They may be of some benefit to you too - but not quite as much. If I think of any more I'll be sure to jump back here!

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Girraween High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2017, 04:14:33 pm »
HEY ELYSE
Im working on my report and I was wondering if I posted it here, would you be able to provide me with feedback?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »
+1
HEY ELYSE
Im working on my report and I was wondering if I posted it here, would you be able to provide me with feedback?
Hey bholenath125, you can post your report if you like! You've gotten to 30 posts so you can have another set of feedback :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2017, 08:34:20 pm »
The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night uses an autistic child's voice I believe - it might be an interesting read. I can't think of others off the top of my head...every one I think of is third person narrator focusing on a child: Matilda, Great Expectations, Harry Potter (early books). They may be of some benefit to you too - but not quite as much. If I think of any more I'll be sure to jump back here!

Thanks so much!
Great time to read as it's the holidays 😀

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2017, 06:39:00 am »
Hey!
Do you have any tips on the report or any samples?

Thank you!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2017, 01:52:26 pm »
+1
Hey!
Do you have any tips on the report or any samples?

Thank you!

Hey bananna! See this response I put together for another student with links to samples and important docs:   :)

Hey Mary! Glad to have a fellow Ext2er around!

I have a few suggestions for this, some you may have already undertaken:
-Have a look at the marking guidelines for the Reflection Statement. You can see that here. The report is essentially a mini reflection statement in a lot of ways, the report is a way of preparing you for the reflection statement that's yet to come. See it as a polished draft, if you will! So looking at the guidelines for the reflection statement's marking will be useful for understanding the standard they expect.
-Also, have a look at the requirements of the reflection statement as this has a little checklist in there. It shouldn't really raise anything new, but I found it comforting to look at when I created my report so that I knew I had covered everything.
-If you're not sure about the language you're using, the structure...the ideas even, have a look at the State Library's collection of exemplar Reflection Statements here. Admittedly, when I first looked at these I felt like anything I had produced was ridiculously inadequate. Know that there are many ways of expressing things, but you might find some inspiration about what marker's respond well to by checking this out!
-Remember to recognise that the process of research and writing is flawed. You won't seem disorganised if you admit to changing your concept, or anything like that. The raw process of researching and writing is calculated, organic, stressful, creative, and disciplined all at once. You don't just have to draw on organised research, you can admit to organic evolution of your concepts if that is appropriate to your work.
-Don't be afraid to quote sections of your work to show exactly where your ideas have manifested in your major work!

Good luck...drop back any time :)

bananna

• Trendsetter
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:14 pm »
Hiya Elyse!

I have included quite a lot in my report (i have to condense it) , but was wondering what are the critical points that i must cover?

Thank you!