Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:53:53 am

Author Topic: English in General  (Read 622 times)

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
English in General
« on: July 29, 2019, 02:02:26 pm »
Hi all!
Sorry it can be a negative message going into the trials however, I am extremely struggling in English at the moment and I feel like all the hope for me is gone to get a Band 5. So far i have got 14/20 which weighs 20%, 15/20 which weighs 25% and recently got 16/25 which weighs 25%. Trials weighs 30%for me and I do not feel ready. I have no clue if I should wrote learn or not. I have organised all my quotes however, I lack in writing thesis and the essay in general. What will be a good tip to improve English? Is Band 5 still possible if I am ranked 75/100 at 94th ranked school based on last year?
Sorry for the negative message...

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: English in General
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 04:04:43 pm »
+1
Hi all!
Sorry it can be a negative message going into the trials however, I am extremely struggling in English at the moment and I feel like all the hope for me is gone to get a Band 5. So far i have got 14/20 which weighs 20%, 15/20 which weighs 25% and recently got 16/25 which weighs 25%. Trials weighs 30%for me and I do not feel ready. I have no clue if I should wrote learn or not. I have organised all my quotes however, I lack in writing thesis and the essay in general. What will be a good tip to improve English? Is Band 5 still possible if I am ranked 75/100 at 94th ranked school based on last year?

Hey There! I understand it is very stressful but don't lose hope yet!
My personal advice is for trials, have a planned structure but I don't think wrote learning will be good simply because students who do that can forget to answer the question and this can have a huge impact on the mark you receive.

My tips for writing essays and thesis in general.
- watch analysis videos on youtube, you can watch them on your own texts or just in general about other texts that you are personally interested in. One of my favourite channels to watch is 'The Take' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVjsbqKtxkLt7bal4NWRjJQ

The reason why I have this as one of my favourite tips is because you get to learn about essay writing but in a more fun way. The trick to notice is that all of these analysis videos are essentially like essays but in a video form. Try to take note on the way that their 'title' for the video is usually their thesis. It is what they are arguing and if you listen closely you'll realise that they keep that exact argument consistently throughout but with multiple points supporting it. All you have to do is try to copy what they do in their videos and instead do that in written form and with the texts you've been given in class. Also the way they express their ideas is really helpful too and can help with the way you express your own ideas as well! - P.S you can search up others - even potentially on your own texts - on youtube as well :)

For a thesis in general though, look at your text and think what is the biggest message this text is trying to tell me? - all texts have a sort of message, especially for English advanced, these texts have something they want to tell you either about humanity, yourself or the world. A thesis is supposed to be your own idea and interpretation of message the text and you use the themes within the text to help support the message you obtained from it. The idea with this message is that then you have to be able to practice applying that same overarching idea to different questions.

As for the ranking sorry I don't know too much about that :( Hopefully someone can help you with that!

All the best!

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: English in General
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:30:35 pm »
Hi all!

Just to add onto what KC181, consider asking your academic advisor for more information about your ranking, as they will be the ones who will be experienced in this area.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics