Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:38 am

Poll

I have an oral presentation assignment in English coming up later which involves choosing two texts (eg. TV shows, films, novels, short stories, poems) on a topic of satire and comedy (e.g election of Donald trump, totalitarianism (it cannot be on sexism,

Any suggestions for texts?
1 (100%)
Any suggestions of good texts?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: English comparative texts  (Read 6032 times)  Share 

Adammurad

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English comparative texts
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:46 am »
Hey, I have a question regarding my essay on my rubric sheet it says "Select two different texts and analyse a common theme explored in both. Compare and contrast these texts and evaluate which is most effective in communicating the author’s purpose. " the two texts I have are brokeback mountain and lady windermere's fan from the book "Importance of being earnest by oscar wilde" does anyone have any notes, sample essays or ideas on a common theme between the two texts please help urgently !!!! Similarities and differences between them??

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: English comparative texts
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:55:34 am »
+1
Hey, I have a question regarding my essay on my rubric sheet it says "Select two different texts and analyse a common theme explored in both. Compare and contrast these texts and evaluate which is most effective in communicating the author’s purpose. " the two texts I have are brokeback mountain and lady windermere's fan from the book "Importance of being earnest by oscar wilde" does anyone have any notes, sample essays or ideas on a common theme between the two texts please help urgently !!!! Similarities and differences between them??
Hi Adammurad,

Could you let me know which subject this is for? I'm a bit confused since these texts aren't on the Year 12 lists in either VCE English or Literature? Are you in Year 11?

Just need a bit more information before I or anyone can offer any help! :)

Adammurad

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:02:29 am »
Hey, @literallylauren I'm in year 12 this is unit 3 comparative texts tertiary english I'm neither a VIC OR NSW student I'm from the ACT :P

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:15 am »
+1
Hey, @literallylauren I'm in year 12 this is unit 3 comparative texts tertiary english I'm neither a VIC OR NSW student I'm from the ACT :P
Ah, okay, so it sounds like you should start by just starting with your texts and exploring some of the key ideas as it should be fairly easy to find points of similarity that way.

Maybe start with a bit of a Venn diagram - 'Brokeback Mountain' in one circle and 'Lady Windermere's Fan' in the other. Think about the stuff that happens in both texts (especially regarding relationships, lies, affairs, etc.) and whether Annie Proulx and Oscar Wilde have similar or different messages about people, communication, trust, etc.

If you're really struggling, you could always just look at some resources online to get you started, e.g. this one for Brokeback Mountain, or this one for Lady Windermere.

Otherwise, let me know what you're having trouble with at the moment and I can try and offer some more specific help :)

Adammurad

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:20:00 am »
I've been finding it extremely difficult to find a common theme I've read from everywhere to get some ideas it's just that they don't have any they're completely different texts I just need a starter because I'm caught in a brain freeze

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:27:17 am »
+1
I've been finding it extremely difficult to find a common theme I've read from everywhere to get some ideas it's just that they don't have any they're completely different texts I just need a starter because I'm caught in a brain freeze
Perhaps start by looking at the idea of fidelity and faithfulness (i.e. not cheating in relationships). Both texts focus heavily on the concept of love affairs and whether or not they can be justified. Though, where Brokeback Mountain looks at Ennis and Jack's relationship (mostly from Ennis' perspective) Lady Windermere's Fan is of course more concerned with Lady Windermere as the character who is being cheated on. So perhaps you could discuss the importance of perspective and whether that changes who we, the audience, sympathise with.

On the flip side, both texts deal with 'taboo' (for their time) relationships, so you could also look at the social expectations surrounding love and the idea of sacrificing love for a greater purpose :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:06:53 pm by literally lauren »

Adammurad

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 11:46:11 am »
My rubric says that I have to evaluate which is most effective in communicating the author's purpose do you have any ideas on that and some differences in the texts? and if you were to do this compare and contrast essay how would you start your introduction what do you think are some key points?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 12:08:29 pm »
+1
My rubric says that I have to evaluate which is most effective in communicating the author's purpose do you have any ideas on that and some differences in the texts? and if you were to do this compare and contrast essay how would you start your introduction what do you think are some key points?
Well, you'd need to start by working out what each author's purpose is. What do you think they both wanted to convey? Basically, fill in the following sentences:
    In Brokeback Mountain, Annie Proulx shows readers that...
and
    In Lady Windermere's Fan, Oscar Wilde suggests that...

^give yourself a general focus like 'the author suggests that relationships are challenging' or 'the author shows us why communication is important in relationships' so that you can start to build interpretations to compare :)

Next, to evaluate which author is more effective, consider which one you think did a better job in conveying their message. This is a matter of opinion, so it's entirely up to you!

Those previous points I mentioned about the different perspectives and the different kinds of relationships that are shown in both text might be some good key points to discuss - there's plenty of things that are different in the two, so I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty to discuss if you start brainstorming.

For your introduction, I'd recommend starting by mentioning which texts you'll be looking at, and some basic info about them (e.g. 'Oscar Wilde's comedic play 'Lady Windermere's Fan' was written in 1892 and explores the idea of...'). Then, you can mention the overall purpose of each piece, and maybe state a similarity and difference between them. That's pretty much all your intro needs - keep it short and sweet so you can get to your body paragraphs asap :)

Adammurad

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 12:16:54 pm »
If I'm able to finish my essay would you be able to give feedback on it if that's a possibility?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
+1
If I'm able to finish my essay would you be able to give feedback on it if that's a possibility?
Sure, no worries! Just post it here whenever you're done and I'll try and give you some advice. Keep in mind that I haven't done this subject though (I'm in Victoria!) so you might be better off going to your teacher for more precise feedback :)

Adammurad

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 03:17:00 pm »
Hey, @literally lauren I have my introduction can you give me an opinion on the thesis I don't if it's right
The two texts “Brokeback Mountain” by Annie Proulx and “Lady Windermere’s Fan” by Oscar Wilde are two texts that are set at different times but convey a common theme to their audiences. Oscar Wilde's comedic play 'Lady Windermere's Fan' was written in 1892 explores and satirises the social norms, expectations and mannerisms of the Victorian era in England that revolves around two lovers who are at each other neck to neck. In Annie Proulx’s short story “Brokeback Mountain” the story discusses the relationship between two country boys in Wyoming who develop a deep love for each other but fear the consequences of it as it may cost their lives and must part ways due to an intolerant society. The common theme between the two texts that are communicated to their audiences is that they deal with the taboo of love affairs for their time and the idea of sacrificing love for a greater purpose.