Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:54 am

Author Topic: Quick english questions  (Read 2079 times)  Share 

NAT0003

Quick english questions
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:59 am »
+1
Hey guys.
Just some questions
1. How can I better understand my texts in english.
2. Do I need to annotate quotes in the book generally
3. What do I need to do from now until october 2018 to ensure a raw 25+ study score

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
Re: Quick english questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
+1
1. To understand your texts, you probably need to read each text at least twice. It would also be good if you write your own notes on each text, like writing chapter summaries, or writing about the characters and themes.
2. I'd say you would at least need to highlight the important quotes in your texts. You might want to annotate the book to help you better understand the important passages or quotes.
3. I'd say just practice. I would find out what texts your school is doing for the current year 12 students and read them beforehand. Also, I reccomend you to start practicing language analysis, text response and comparative essays right now. Make sure you understand the structure for each of them and start writing practice paragraphs and essays and ask your teacher to mark them.

NAT0003

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
1. To understand your texts, you probably need to read each text at least twice. It would also be good if you write your own notes on each text, like writing chapter summaries, or writing about the characters and themes.
2. I'd say you would at least need to highlight the important quotes in your texts. You might want to annotate the book to help you better understand the important passages or quotes.
3. I'd say just practice. I would find out what texts your school is doing for the current year 12 students and read them beforehand. Also, I reccomend you to start practicing language analysis, text response and comparative essays right now. Make sure you understand the structure for each of them and start writing practice paragraphs and essays and ask your teacher to mark them.
Do you think it would be worth having my tutor mark my practise essays, Zhen

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »
Do you think it would be worth having my tutor mark my practise essays, Zhen
Yup, definitely. That's what a tutor is for. But I think it would be helpful to get both your tutor and your teacher to mark your essays, since getting feedback from different people is always helpful.

NAT0003

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:45:13 pm »
Yup, definitely. That's what a tutor is for. But I think it would be helpful to get both your tutor and your teacher to mark your essays, since getting feedback from different people is always helpful.
Thanks for the help :) will definitely put into practise ;)

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:51:19 pm »
+1
Hey guys.
Just some questions
1. How can I better understand my texts in english.
2. Do I need to annotate quotes in the book generally
3. What do I need to do from now until october 2018 to ensure a raw 25+ study score

just my 2c:

1. Discuss the text with your teacher or peers; bouncing ideas and hearing new interpretations really aides understanding. Read the text twice or more -- the first couple of times just get the gist of the story and what's happening, but for every other time try what I suggest in the next question:

2. I think it would be wise to do so, and in fact annotate everything that gives you an idea to write about or just a useful insight in the margins of the book or some paper (note the page number if you do this). Highlight the most important quotes that you think are usable for a variety of essay questions and the rest just underline. Get some sticky notes, cut them into strips and write important themes in one colour, stick those wherever it comes up. For your favourite quotes, write in a different coloured pen and stick those on the relevant pages.
This makes it really easy to learn from the book without having to read it again -- I did this with all of my texts, and I knew if I needed a quote or some more info about a theme or a key plot development I could flip to it quickly.

3. PRACTISE! Not just essays but essay plans (both TIMED) and try to get your teacher or tutor to mark something from you each week and implement their suggestions. Make sure you have read and understood all your texts and work on expression/grammar etc if it's losing you marks

NAT0003

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:31 am »
just my 2c:

1. Discuss the text with your teacher or peers; bouncing ideas and hearing new interpretations really aides understanding. Read the text twice or more -- the first couple of times just get the gist of the story and what's happening, but for every other time try what I suggest in the next question:

2. I think it would be wise to do so, and in fact annotate everything that gives you an idea to write about or just a useful insight in the margins of the book or some paper (note the page number if you do this). Highlight the most important quotes that you think are usable for a variety of essay questions and the rest just underline. Get some sticky notes, cut them into strips and write important themes in one colour, stick those wherever it comes up. For your favourite quotes, write in a different coloured pen and stick those on the relevant pages.
This makes it really easy to learn from the book without having to read it again -- I did this with all of my texts, and I knew if I needed a quote or some more info about a theme or a key plot development I could flip to it quickly.

3. PRACTISE! Not just essays but essay plans (both TIMED) and try to get your teacher or tutor to mark something from you each week and implement their suggestions. Make sure you have read and understood all your texts and work on expression/grammar etc if it's losing you marks
Thanks for helping :D