Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:17:18 am

Author Topic: What subjects are considered when applying for honours in psychology?  (Read 10438 times)  Share 

stonecold

• Victorian
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +255
  • School Grad Year: 2010
Re: What subjects are considered when applying for honours in psychology?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 01:10:09 am »
The lecturer for HPS was terrible.

Turned me off the subject.

lololol. after 2 mins I walked out and went to something else it was that shit!

I saw you haha.  And I fucked up and said you were Zach instead of Sean.  :P

You were that bitch nice male in the grey hoodie with loppol, right?

Yeah!!!

I recognized you right away from your fb photo, but I couldn't remember your name haha...

even though it is clearly displayed everywhere. 

/facepalm    :P
2011-13: BBiomed (Microbiology & Immunology Major) @ UniMelb

VCE 2009'10: English 46 | English Language 49 | Chemistry 50 | Biology 50 | Further Mathematics 48 | Mathematical Methods CAS 39
ATAR: 99.85

"Failure is not when one falls down but rather when one fails to get up" - unknown

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:06 am »
The lecturer for HPS was terrible.

Turned me off the subject.

lololol. after 2 mins I walked out and went to something else it was that shit!

I saw you haha.  And I fucked up and said you were Zach instead of Sean.  :P

You were that bitch nice male in the grey hoodie with loppol, right?

Yeah!!!

I recognized you right away from your fb photo, but I couldn't remember your name haha...

even though it is clearly displayed everywhere. 

/facepalm    :P

Well I had no idea that you guys were VNers until loppol was all like

"!!!111 OMFG ARE YOIU SEAN @#$%%#@ IM ANDREWLOPPOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!11111"

Haha.
arts arts arts arts arts arts arts
Psychology Major at UoM - Resident of St. Hilda's College
Awarded PhD(Honours) in Beer on 23/2/11
objective immorality does not exist

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 12:42:49 pm »
Okay, so I have a new, very related, question.

Do you think they count 'third year subjects' as LEVEL 3 subjects you do throughout your course, or simply the subjects you take in your third year?

If it is the latter, I could see this being abused quite easily, by taking lots of level 1 subjects in third year to secure easy H1s and thus a smashing average for that year, which is weighted most heavily.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »
Third year subjects generally refers to subjects taken in your third year. Some people will attempt to abuse it by taking an extra level 1 subject but given that there's a cap on total level 1 subjects and the fact that you're going to have to take a major, you can't just pack 8 level 1 subjects into third year

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »
Third year subjects generally refers to subjects taken in your third year. Some people will attempt to abuse it by taking an extra level 1 subject but given that there's a cap on total level 1 subjects and the fact that you're going to have to take a major, you can't just pack 8 level 1 subjects into third year

How many level 1 subjects are you allowed to take throughout your degree?

In my third year, 4/8 subjects will be level 3 psych ones, so as to complete my major.

Could I not choose level 1 subjects for the other 4, effectively making 50% of my third year MUCH easier?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »
What other 1st year subjects are you planning on taking? You can't take breadth or you'd be over the limit, you have to take elective subjects which aren't necessarily easy.

Anyway, the limit is 10 1st year subjects according to everyone who's ever mentioned it. So 8 first year, plus some leeway

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2011, 01:04:27 pm »
What other 1st year subjects are you planning on taking? You can't take breadth or you'd be over the limit, you have to take elective subjects which aren't necessarily easy.

Anyway, the limit is 10 1st year subjects according to everyone who's ever mentioned it. So 8 first year, plus some leeway

Well, i'll be doing 8 first year, most certainly. And I can't take breadth in third year, as my psych electives take over those places(because they're too non-artsy, apparently).

So, if I structured everything well, I could do a level 1 subject in my third year each semester, in one of the 'easier' arts disciplines. That being said, I could fill the other spots with level 2 subjects, which would still be decreasing the difficulty.

This is all hypothetical, by the way. I'm not sure those who decide who gets into honours would look too kindly upon people who abuse it like this?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »
What? How are subjects for your major being organised as breadth? Sounds like the arts faculty didn't think that one through...

You can try to take lower level subjects but by that point you'll probably want to do interesting subjects, not easy ones. I looked at taking some easy subjects and none of them are that interesting (also 2nd year subjects can get fairly hard)

zomgSEAN

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • goon <3
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »
What? How are subjects for your major being organised as breadth? Sounds like the arts faculty didn't think that one through...

You can try to take lower level subjects but by that point you'll probably want to do interesting subjects, not easy ones. I looked at taking some easy subjects and none of them are that interesting (also 2nd year subjects can get fairly hard)

Maybe they do it because later Psych subjects are increasingly sciencey? Or because it is a 125 pt major, and thus it needs to take the place of breadth in final year? I don't really know. It's annoying, as it means i can't do the pre-reqs for MD.

Yeah, I guess so. I'm not saying Level 2 subjects will be EASY; i'm saying they should be less difficult than Level 3 subjects.

marr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »
As I have completely no idea, does anyone know what a psychology prac involves? :-[

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 06:47:44 pm »
As I have completely no idea, does anyone know what a psychology prac involves? :-[

If you're doing MBB1, the psych pracs are actually tutorials. I don't really know why they're called pracs. You don't get to do any experiments in them (well, you might have to do one or two things, but they're pretty basic and you may have even done them in VCE) but you do participate in research, but that's something separate.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

marr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »

If you're doing MBB1, the psych pracs are actually tutorials. I don't really know why they're called pracs. You don't get to do any experiments in them (well, you might have to do one or two things, but they're pretty basic and you may have even done them in VCE) but you do participate in research, but that's something separate.

Ah that makes more sense as it did seem strange to me that the class is classified as a 'practical'. Also with the prac/tute/whatever is it, is it best to have it before or after the lectures, or does it not matter at all?

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:10 pm »

Ah that makes more sense as it did seem strange to me that the class is classified as a 'practical'. Also with the prac/tute/whatever is it, is it best to have it before or after the lectures, or does it not matter at all?

Does not matter at all. You cover different material in tutorials that's normally separate to lectures. 
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:31 pm »
Doesn't matter whatsoever.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM