Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 10:28:28 pm

Author Topic: Science Fiction Elective and Genre Study Notes.  (Read 4387 times)  Share 

pozza4589

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Science Fiction Elective and Genre Study Notes.
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:44 am »
Hi everyone!

Just wondering whether anyone is doing the science fiction elective? If so, what do you have for the dot point "Science fiction texts may reflect changing contexts and values and may adapt or challenge conventions of the genre".

Thanks,
Polly!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Science Fiction Elective and Genre Study Notes.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »
Hi everyone!

Just wondering whether anyone is doing the science fiction elective? If so, what do you have for the dot point "Science fiction texts may reflect changing contexts and values and may adapt or challenge conventions of the genre".

Thanks,
Polly!

Hey Polly! Thanks for starting up this thread - there've been a few students floating around the lectures asking about science fiction this week, so hopefully someone finds their way here soon to give you a hand! How do you like sci-fi?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

NotSoDevious

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Carlingford High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:23:56 pm »
Hi Polly!
I still haven't thought of a dot point for that line in our rubric  :-\
Just out of curiosity, what are your prescribed texts?? Mine are Left Hand of Darkness, Neuromancer(hate this book >:() and Blade Runner.

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:00 pm »
+2
I'm also doing sci fi for ext 1 english this year and it seems there aren't many people doing it, nor are there many available resources, which is a shame! I'd love to get this thread up and running for those of us who are doing sci fi, so we can all share ideas. I'm very happy to read through anyone's writing too :-) My texts are the left hand of darkness, dune and blade runner.
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »
I'm also doing sci fi for ext 1 english this year and it seems there aren't many people doing it, nor are there many available resources, which is a shame! I'd love to get this thread up and running for those of us who are doing sci fi, so we can all share ideas. I'm very happy to read through anyone's writing too :-) My texts are the left hand of darkness, dune and blade runner.

Hey Taylorlucy! Please do - hang around and we can build up conversation, bounce off ideas, etc. I didn't study sci fi but if you ever need anyone to look at your work, feel free to post a paragraph here or there and I can talk about expression and other things like that! But I'd love to see current sci fi students sharing resources on here too :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:23:41 pm »
+2
I'm doing sci-fi as well! It's always a bit frustrating looking for help with it haha, there are only three other people in my class at school, and the previous grades did ATB (so did half the state it seems!!) so there aren't a load of resources but I'd be super happy to help get a conversation started!

Also for that dot point I kind of just have that genre is inherently malleable, and sci-fi itself acts as commentary for modern society, so as society shifts and grows, so do science-fiction texts. That's all I've got for it so far though haha

and my texts are Bladerunner, Neuromancer and Dune! (:
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

selinayinz

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 05:08:05 pm »
i am also doing science fiction however I find the subject quite difficult. Does anyone have any notes on Dune? I found that book very hard to grasp

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:47:10 pm »
Bump can anyone help with Bladerunner and left hand of darknesss?

stephjones

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 11:34:21 am »
+2
Bump can anyone help with Bladerunner and left hand of darknesss?

What sort of thing do you need help with? I'm not studying Left Hand of Darkness but I may be able to help with Bladerunner? :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR - 98.40) - English Advanced (95), English Extension 1 (47), Mathematics (92), Mathematics Extension 1 (43), Modern History (92), Biology (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48)

USYD 2018 - Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) and Bachelor of Arts

arendeiro.90

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:38 am »
I'm also doing neuromancer and left hand of darkness! any help would be so good right now!!