Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:03 am

Author Topic: New Student? Read this.  (Read 127966 times)  Share 

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
Re: New Student? Read this.
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »
So can the education officers of relevant student societies.

If you've been treated unfairly in terms of academia or you fuck up badly and need rescuing, you'll get much more help from the union if you're a member (otherwise they'll just tell you to scram - nicely, of course).

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2011, 06:50:39 pm »
Hmm interesting, i might end up joining it then :)

Another question, in my study plan, it's got my UMEP subject! "MAST10013 - UMEP Maths for High Achieving Students , Exempt Mark: 0" I didn't add it, it just appeared in the last few days.

Does this mean I've lost a potential subject space?

I did some research and if i did lose it, i'm guessing i have to use this "C03 Request to Amend Credit / Advanced Standing" form to remove it?

If you have previously been awarded credit you can apply to have this credit amended by either rejecting existing credit or applying to have previously rejected credit re-granted for course planning purposes. Students must have a sound academic reason for amending credit. Requests to amend any advanced standing / credit awarded towards the Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Biomedicine or Bachelor of Science degrees at the University of Melbourne, can be made using the C03 Request to Amend Credit / Advanced Standing

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
Yes, that's what it means. If you go to the student centre and ask for a form to rescind credit, they'll give you the one you need.

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2011, 11:12:35 pm »
Yeah, i spoke with them and they said i'll have to come in to give in the form :/

Oh well, i'll just do it at o-week or something.

Thanks again - and for those pink pacers! :P

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:47 pm »
Calling the uni never does anything. :P

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:17 am »
I was trying to see if they had a fax number, and they said 'if it has one on the form then you can fax it in' otherwise i have to go in person. I was >_> <_< at the time, as none of the forms have one!

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »
Calling the uni never does anything. :P

Calling does *occasionally* work, but most often only in the instances where you can get the direct line of the person you need to deal with. Therefore, 90% of the time, expect to have to drive in to uni to get shit sorted.

Again: welcome to uni bureaucracy :)
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2011, 01:17:07 pm »
So with the host program, where it has a T-shirt colour, do we have to wear a t shirt that colour? or is that just the colour t shirt that the host will be wearing?
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

minilunchbox

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »
So with the host program, where it has a T-shirt colour, do we have to wear a t shirt that colour? or is that just the colour t shirt that the host will be wearing?

Pretty sure that's the colour the host will be wearing so you can find them easier.
2011-13: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology) @ University of Melbourne

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2011, 01:57:20 pm »
It's the colour that your host will be wearing to differentiate them from a student

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2011, 09:31:28 pm »
Top notch man, very happy that I've read this

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:38 am »
It's that time of year again /bump

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:15 am »

Another question, in my study plan, it's got my UMEP subject! "MAST10013 - UMEP Maths for High Achieving Students , Exempt Mark: 0" I didn't add it, it just appeared in the last few days.

I did some research and if i did lose it, i'm guessing i have to use this "C03 Request to Amend Credit / Advanced Standing" form to remove it?

Hmm interesting, i might end up joining it then :)

Could you explain your reasons for wishing to have your UMEP maths credit removed?
From what I can gather, the University considers it equivalent to Accelerated Mathematics 1

Of greater interest to me is whether I can keep my actual grade from last year. Does anyone know?

PS. Great informative post OP !

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:45:01 am by argonaut »

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:12 pm »
Could you explain your reasons for wishing to have your UMEP maths credit removed?
From what I can gather, the University considers it equivalent to Accelerated Mathematics 1

Of greater interest to me is whether I can keep my actual grade from last year. Does anyone know?

Personally i chose to gt rid of my UMEP maths credit because i didn't want to do one less maths subjects and go straight into accelecrate maths 2 without doing maths in semester 1 so i did vector caculus instead of accelcrated maths 1 which was muhc easier but didn't mean i went into accelerated maths 2 with more of a shock than i already had. Having said this if you're not planning to do accelerated maths two then you could defintiely just cut one subject from your study plan and substitute this in (i would strongly recommend saving that free subject space for later years when the subjects are much harder) it would be a breath subject and yes you would keep your grade and score.

Note that even if you get rid of the credit for doing UMEP maths so you can do one extra subject, you can STILL use the uni maths score to count towards subjects that requires it (or accelerated maths 1) as a pre-req.

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:23 pm »

I got a bad mark for it and I needed the space for another subject. You can still use it as a pre-req if you get it removed.

Last year for me, it took up one of the subjects in the study plan and so i'm fairly sure you keep the grade by default.