Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:48:42 am

Author Topic: Writing Creatives  (Read 3753 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Writing Creatives
« on: February 03, 2021, 05:18:32 pm »
+1
Hello!

I have a question - people on ATAR Notes recommended I think of a creative writing concept over the holiday period, so I happily did. However, now I want to start pulling it together and I have a little issue. The stimuli for the creative is going to be one of the Henry Lawson stories, and my story is going to align with his themes, however when I asked my teacher whether I should begin she said not until we have received the assessment. The problem I experienced in Year 11 was the long time it took to develop the story, and it needed much more time than the given assessment time.

So I am seeking some advice regarding whether I should begin writing my creative piece now, without the assessment notice but with the information I have regarding who the stimulus author will be. Any ideas would be really appreciated!
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: Writing Creatives
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 06:17:41 pm »
+3
Hello!

I have a question - people on ATAR Notes recommended I think of a creative writing concept over the holiday period, so I happily did. However, now I want to start pulling it together and I have a little issue. The stimuli for the creative is going to be one of the Henry Lawson stories, and my story is going to align with his themes, however when I asked my teacher whether I should begin she said not until we have received the assessment. The problem I experienced in Year 11 was the long time it took to develop the story, and it needed much more time than the given assessment time.

So I am seeking some advice regarding whether I should begin writing my creative piece now, without the assessment notice but with the information I have regarding who the stimulus author will be. Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Hey 0447940204,

If you have previously struggled with developing a creative writing concept in a short period of time, then I would definitely recommend starting now, rather than later. Also, if you struggle with the development of a concept, narrative or ideas, I would personally recommend brainstorming and planning out your narrative, rather than writing it straight away. That way, you'll not only feel prepared for when the assessment does come around, you'll also have a concrete plan to fall back on rather than winging it.

Hopefully, that helps :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: Writing Creatives
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:41:17 pm »
+4
Hello!

Hey! :D
Just adding onto s110820's answer above, these are my thoughts:

If you feel as though you need to begin your creative now, then absolutely do so (if it aligns with his short stories and the assessment), as Year 11 is usually considered a "practice year", you discovered that you would have benefitted from starting a creative before the assessment. Another great reason why starting early could be a good option is because it will allow you to go over in your mind or on paper, how the story will unfold, any dialogue or different scenarios or ways to make your creative story more interesting and allow you to draft your piece.

Also, just a side note:
I don't know if the assessment notification has stated a preferred structure of writing your creative or not.

If not, you could mix up the structure of how you actually write the creative. For Example:
📚 You could write a series of letters (Epistolary Form). For Example, Dear Mr./ Mrs. Human, etc. [I did this for the HSC]
📚 You could do diary entries of events that happened on various days and link this in a narrative structure (EG. Orientation/ beginning, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution).
📚 Or even an autobiography

This will illustrate to your teachers that not only are you writing creatively, but you are also being creative in your stylistic choices (structure), which may make you stand out from the rest.

Good luck with the assessment!
Coolmate 8)

EDIT: Just another thing, I always found that the earlier I started working on a task, the more I was able to fully think about it and was able to complete it in chunks. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:53:10 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5