Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:13 pm

Author Topic: HSC English Extension Revision Lecture - October 2020  (Read 1158 times)

niamh.brazil

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9
HSC English Extension Revision Lecture - October 2020
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:05 am »
+3
Hello and welcome!!

Want some additional feedback on any tasks completed this lecture? Still have questions about the content or your exam strategy? This is the thread for you!

Drop any practice responses or questions here and I will be checking in here for the rest of the week to make sure all those questions are answered  :D

Vanessavdmast

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC English Extension Revision Lecture - October 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:57:58 pm »
+1
Hi,

Just wondering if I could get some feedback from the Critical Analysis response on Dolans "Exciting Times" from the lecture.
My response is below, but I don't know if I actually answered the question what so ever.

By creating a Literary World based on mimesis and reflecting a realistic society of Hong Kong, Naoise Dolan invites the audience to discover various aspects of truth in an individuals perspective of the world. The use of colloquial and first person language throughout the extract develops a personal connection with the audience, and allows them to decipher aspects of their own lives that link to the world of 'Exciting Times'. By doing so, Dolan is able to provide potentially alternate perspectives of reality, and provide reason for discussion of a public display of life verse the private interpretation that lurks within the psyche of all individuals. Towards the conclusion of the extract, Dolan includes broken phrases to illustrate a disconnect between action and thought, and the valuable understanding of body language verse speech that is relevant to all societies. This enables the text to fulfill the purpose of being both entertaining and educational in regards to the complexity of individuals and the representations of reality in literature.

Thanks,
Vanessa

Belinda Lanham

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:02:28 pm »
+1
Hiiiii Thank you for reading these! :))))

Naoise Dolan invites us into her literary world through her protagonist and her extrapolation of ordinary interactions with her friend, Edith, to seem extraordinary. The protagonist does not provide us with many meaningful details about her life, and any key point is mentioned in passing, while details such as the way Edith packs her handbag and the nature of her manicure enamours the audience with the relationship between these two individuals and the nature of their interactions, drawing us closer into the literary world Dolan creates. Dolan's truncated sentences highlight the simple emotions felt by the protagonist that us as an audience can empathise with and connect to, inviting us further into the world of 'Exciting Times' and the experiences of the protagonist.

niamh.brazil

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:09:50 pm »
+2
Hi,

Just wondering if I could get some feedback from the Critical Analysis response on Dolans "Exciting Times" from the lecture.
My response is below, but I don't know if I actually answered the question what so ever.

By creating a Literary World based on mimesis and reflecting a realistic society of Hong Kong, Naoise Dolan invites the audience to discover various aspects of truth in an individuals perspective of the world. The use of colloquial and first person language throughout the extract develops a personal connection with the audience, and allows them to decipher aspects of their own lives that link to the world of 'Exciting Times'. By doing so, Dolan is able to provide potentially alternate perspectives of reality, and provide reason for discussion of a public display of life verse the private interpretation that lurks within the psyche of all individuals. Towards the conclusion of the extract, Dolan includes broken phrases to illustrate a disconnect between action and thought, and the valuable understanding of body language verse speech that is relevant to all societies. This enables the text to fulfill the purpose of being both entertaining and educational in regards to the complexity of individuals and the representations of reality in literature.

Thanks,
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

This a very good conceptual response that introduces lots of interesting ideas. In particular, I thought the idea of disconnect between thought and action was very relevant and interesting. The idea of texts as vehicles for entertainment is also worthy of expansion in a more complex way (pros cons implications etc). These ideas however do need to be supported by detailed evidence and textual analysis which would be my main feedback for you. Furthermore, there are parts where your conceptual ideas don’t feel directly linked to the text and are more generically inspired by the literary worlds syllabus. This isn’t bad!! You just need to show clear and specific links between them, the text and your personal perspective. Personal voice and written expression is also good

Vanessavdmast

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »
+1
Hi Vanessa,

This a very good conceptual response that introduces lots of interesting ideas. In particular, I thought the idea of disconnect between thought and action was very relevant and interesting. The idea of texts as vehicles for entertainment is also worthy of expansion in a more complex way (pros cons implications etc). These ideas however do need to be supported by detailed evidence and textual analysis which would be my main feedback for you. Furthermore, there are parts where your conceptual ideas don’t feel directly linked to the text and are more generically inspired by the literary worlds syllabus. This isn’t bad!! You just need to show clear and specific links between them, the text and your personal perspective. Personal voice and written expression is also good

Great, Thank you so much! I am always concerned that with my responses I go to generic and don't actually answer the question. Your feedback is extremely helpful with guiding our responses, so thankyou for taking the time to read the responses and provide the feedback.

niamh.brazil

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:22 pm »
+2
Hiiiii Thank you for reading these! :))))

Naoise Dolan invites us into her literary world through her protagonist and her extrapolation of ordinary interactions with her friend, Edith, to seem extraordinary. The protagonist does not provide us with many meaningful details about her life, and any key point is mentioned in passing, while details such as the way Edith packs her handbag and the nature of her manicure enamours the audience with the relationship between these two individuals and the nature of their interactions, drawing us closer into the literary world Dolan creates. Dolan's truncated sentences highlight the simple emotions felt by the protagonist that us as an audience can empathise with and connect to, inviting us further into the world of 'Exciting Times' and the experiences of the protagonist.

Hi Belinda!

This is a good response which uses well selected examples. Make sure to have a strong concept statement that synthesis es the idea of literary worlds both in the text and in your perspective. You provide good examples but make sure to also include quotes that back up your points! My final piece of feedback would be to consider “why” Dolan wishes to draw us into the literary world. You use plenty of evidence to show how she does it, but consider her purpose in drawing us in - what is the audience impact?
Writtten expression is also good!