Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:12 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767979 times)  Share 

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #675 on: May 29, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »
off-topic - ESD 1 is the worst subject..

Heard some horror stories from there.  Also Organisational Behaviour.
I'm thinking of doing organisational behaviour during the summer semester. What's wrong with it? lol

Kingofrok33

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #676 on: May 29, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »
When do we start picking our semester two subjects? On the student portal it has me enrolled into subjects already for some reason, yet I don't even want to do them. Surely there is a way of swapping out of them?
2011 ATAR: 91.75

Chemistry - 36/ Methods - 37/ Physics - 35/ P.E - 38/ Hungarian - 34/ Literature - 33

2012 Bachelor of Science @ UoM

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »

I'm thinking of doing organisational behaviour during the summer semester. What's wrong with it? lol

Don't think it's offered over summer.  You'll quickly find out how shit group projects are every soon then.

Unless of course everyone in your group is someone you know well but you'll have to time it so that everyone you want in your group is in the same tutorial.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2012, 11:03:16 pm »

Don't think it's offered over summer.  You'll quickly find out how shit group projects are every soon then.

Unless of course everyone in your group is someone you know well but you'll have to time it so that everyone you want in your group is in the same tutorial.
Oh really... Shattered lol i really wanted to get it out of the way hahah
But yeah i'm yet to experience a group assignment! From what i've seen my friends having to put up with i can tell that it wont be good :(

LOLOLOL Does anyone else find it funny, how tutorial's are always divided into 2 groups. The international students - predominantly Chinese, and the local students. I found it rather amusing, cos as soon as people walked into the room during first 2 weeks it just naturally happened. This is probably more so the case for commerce subjects i'd say.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2012, 11:06:04 pm »
LOLOLOL Does anyone else find it funny, how tutorial's are always divided into 2 groups. The international students - predominantly Chinese, and the local students. I found it rather amusing, cos as soon as people walked into the room during first 2 weeks it just naturally happened. This is probably more so the case for commerce subjects i'd say.

Happens to all subjects, even up to final year.  The only time it doesn't happen as much is probably when there is a small class (such as third maths) where you tend to know everyone including the international students and get along with them since we collaborate.

Or it doesn't happen to the brave international students who are willing to talk to local students and willing to get along with them.  They are, unfortunately, rare in my experience.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #680 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
Ahh ok, i've only got 1 unit outside of commerce and that was science. The prac had mainly local students so i was assuming that maybe there is a higher percentage of local students compared to commerce. It seems that more than half of the students in commerce are international.

banditkeith

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #681 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:36 am »

Happens to all subjects, even up to final year.  The only time it doesn't happen as much is probably when there is a small class (such as third maths) where you tend to know everyone including the international students and get along with them since we collaborate.

Or it doesn't happen to the brave international students who are willing to talk to local students and willing to get along with them.  They are, unfortunately, rare in my experience.

Lol.. In bio tute, you see the rest of the room being international students and all the local students bunched up in one table only.
It's actually hilarious being the only international student on that table. So yes.. we brave ones do exist :P

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #682 on: May 30, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »

Lol.. In bio tute, you see the rest of the room being international students and all the local students bunched up in one table only.
It's actually hilarious being the only international student on that table. So yes.. we brave ones do exist :P

I've always had an unconfirmed theory that the brave ones are mainly science students since most science students are forced to work together in pracs or tutes.  But I can't prove it.

And it's real shame that there's so few of them around.

banditkeith

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #683 on: May 30, 2012, 06:52:51 pm »

I've always had an unconfirmed theory that the brave ones are mainly science students since most science students are forced to work together in pracs or tutes.  But I can't prove it.

And it's real shame that there's so few of them around.

I'm in Biomed actually but close enough. ahahah
The only time you do get forced to work together are in Pracs then after that you could just ignore the other person for the rest of eternity.
What you say is true though. I actually haven't met many International students who just get in there and mix.

anonymous1

« Reply #684 on: May 30, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »
well i'm a science student and have met a lot of international students, and i'm good friends with most of them too :)
i guess it depends on experience

John President

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mostly Harmless
  • Respect: +45
  • School: Kids, stay in it.
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #685 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »
I'll expand on the separation topic - the college kids usually form their own group in tutes too. Even if they aren't all from the same college, they still have common things to talk about
The Finnish word pilkunnussija, which translates literally to “comma fucker,” is someone who risks his social wellbeing to annoyingly and persistently point out punctuation errors.

Completed VCE in 2010 - Now doing BSc at UoM

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #686 on: May 30, 2012, 08:11:40 pm »
To anyone who has thought of going to the 1st year 1st semester chemistry tutorials that they're hosting daily for this week, they're THOROUGHLY worthwhile. That goes for Fundamentals, Chem1, and the Biomedicine equivalent.

claireb

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #687 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »
What did you do in the chem 1 tutorial? Are we required to bring things we need help with or are they just teaching/going over things? What times are they on?

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #688 on: May 30, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »
To anyone who has thought of going to the 1st year 1st semester chemistry tutorials that they're hosting daily for this week, they're THOROUGHLY worthwhile. That goes for Fundamentals, Chem1, and the Biomedicine equivalent.

Is this the learning centre? I'm practically there every week
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #689 on: May 30, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »
They're running daily tutes? That's way better than when I did chem :(
I'd also recommend you go, they did a single tute back in 1st year for me and it was really helpful