Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:37 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767104 times)  Share 

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2011, 12:20:25 am »
There is a lost property thing.  I remember seeing a notice in my portal about it.  But it was a while after exams.

I would ask an invigilator in your next exam.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

au

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:01 pm »
+1
Just wondering, are the UoM colleges like Hogwarts when it comes to dinner?
2010&2011: VCE

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2011, 04:49:09 pm »
+1
Biomed first years are whining about a question that I really can't see being unfair. Harsh yes, but not unfair...welcome to university kids <3

Without the magic and stuff, yeah. There are formal dinners and there are "eat whenever you want" dinners

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »
What q?
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #289 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
The question was based on a slide of the life cycle of Taenia that I showed in my 2nd lecture, on the 10th August (as you will hear if you listen to the audio). I went through this lifecycle specifically. Further, you studied Taenia in your practical 2 (pages 6-8), including the cysticercus stage, the scolex, and both mature and gravid p...roglottids of the adult stage, so the diagrams in the question should have been familiar to you on the basis of the practical alone.

Just because I did not include that slide on the LMS section does NOT mean that the material was not examinable. I seldom if ever put all slides on the LMS. ALL lecture and prac material is examinable. We are an on-campus university, and students should not expect to be able to answer exam questions if they do not attend the lectures. In the revision lecture I said that yes, you should know the life cycles of parasites that you studied.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #290 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

amazing.

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #291 on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:10 pm »
+1
Biomed first years are whining about a question that I really can't see being unfair. Harsh yes, but not unfair...welcome to university kids <3

If by welcome to university you mean an exam for Psychology that is purely multiple choice, has at least 25% of questions that we have seen before and have been told are going to be on the exam, then yes, welcome to university.

physics

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Its anna :D
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #292 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:52 pm »
hello EVERYBODY!
i want to do science next year... but do I have to start from scratch :( and how do i apply...
HELP ME GRADUATE!
If you know anyone pregnant let me know :)

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/Fairytailslilangel

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #293 on: November 09, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
you would have had to apply though VTAC, late applications (so you would have to pay a fee) close in a  few days i believe...

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #294 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:36 pm »
The question was based on a slide of the life cycle of Taenia that I showed in my 2nd lecture, on the 10th August (as you will hear if you listen to the audio). I went through this lifecycle specifically. Further, you studied Taenia in your practical 2 (pages 6-8), including the cysticercus stage, the scolex, and both mature and gravid p...roglottids of the adult stage, so the diagrams in the question should have been familiar to you on the basis of the practical alone.

Just because I did not include that slide on the LMS section does NOT mean that the material was not examinable. I seldom if ever put all slides on the LMS. ALL lecture and prac material is examinable. We are an on-campus university, and students should not expect to be able to answer exam questions if they do not attend the lectures. In the revision lecture I said that yes, you should know the life cycles of parasites that you studied.

HAHA WHAT LECTURER WAS THAT?  Lol'd so hard.
YEAH IF WE HAD TO DEAL WITH FOSSILS which weren't even on our slides...
Anyway why assume something in prac isn't on the exam?  I revised all of the diagrams from prac the night before Biology (not that they even came in handy, clearly should have spent my time looking over the extinction crap).

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #295 on: November 09, 2011, 08:07:18 pm »

If by welcome to university you mean an exam for Psychology that is purely multiple choice, has at least 25% of questions that we have seen before and have been told are going to be on the exam, then yes, welcome to university.

Cogpsych - all of our practice questions were in the exam, and they provided very detailed answers (ie, not just 'Answer is A') and why those were the case AND we went through the answers in our last lab class.

So like 15 questions, had you gone to Lab 6 and bothered to open a document on the LMS, were guaranteed marks.  And this is second year!  The exam for it is all multi choice too, and only worth 50%.  I think people need the exam to be easy if they screw up the report (and by that I mean, don't get a H1) because if you don't get a H1 then your honours prospects are practically non existent from the beginning.

physics

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Its anna :D
« Reply #296 on: November 09, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »
you would have had to apply though VTAC, late applications (so you would have to pay a fee) close in a  few days i believe...

aw man..btw does ANYONE KNOW ANYONE WHO DOES MASTERS OF NURSING??? IM THINKING OF DOING IT AFTER I FINISH MY MIDWIFERY DEGREE??
HELP ME GRADUATE!
If you know anyone pregnant let me know :)

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/Fairytailslilangel

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #297 on: November 09, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

Cogpsych - all of our practice questions were in the exam, and they provided very detailed answers (ie, not just 'Answer is A') and why those were the case AND we went through the answers in our last lab class.

So like 15 questions, had you gone to Lab 6 and bothered to open a document on the LMS, were guaranteed marks.  And this is second year!  The exam for it is all multi choice too, and only worth 50%.  I think people need the exam to be easy if they screw up the report (and by that I mean, don't get a H1) because if you don't get a H1 then your honours prospects are practically non existent from the beginning.

^ You're kidding! They really go about making it easy for Psych students, that really is a joke in terms of serious academics in my opinion.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #298 on: November 09, 2011, 08:20:44 pm »
^ You're kidding! They really go about making it easy for Psych students, that really is a joke in terms of serious academics in my opinion.

Appaz it's not for all four, my friends said that in Dev Psych you have to write essays and (being Arts students) they all found Biopsych very difficult.  And I think CogPsych was considered demanding in terms of content, still that's 15/100ish questions.  Plus our lab report topic was very difficult, chosen by the lecturer to mirror a paper he's about to publish - I don't thiiiink they do that every year.

BUT HEY, I WAS LIKE 'SCOREEE'.  Until I got to stats, failed that section.

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #299 on: November 11, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »

HAHA WHAT LECTURER WAS THAT?  Lol'd so hard.
YEAH IF WE HAD TO DEAL WITH FOSSILS which weren't even on our slides...
Anyway why assume something in prac isn't on the exam?  I revised all of the diagrams from prac the night before Biology (not that they even came in handy, clearly should have spent my time looking over the extinction crap).
It was a different type of Taenia on our exam (as compared to the one we did in prac) and the prac had no diagram in it. I don't get how we're supposed to remember an image we've seen for no longer than 30 seconds. Also the diagram on our exam featured a number of extra details about the lifecycle that weren't in the prac either. The lecturer was Rob Day, absolute prick. 2 of his questions were scraped from our MST because they had incorrect solutions and topics we had never learnt. We were all pissed off at him for screwing us over once again, hence the large amount of complaining :P
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni